Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Excellent!

Don't mind the ignoramuses on here who make derogatory comments; they are just jealous, because you have a much nicer life, while being able to keep more of your wealth and to use it for your own enjoyment and the benefit of your family, instead of handing it over to the pols.

Those people will be stuck on LI forever- or until they can no longer afford to stay there, because they are afraid to leave; and they seem to be ignorant of the facts that you can make a living in other places, besides LI, while having a much better quality of life, for much less money; and that in most other places, you can manage to keep a lot more of the money you earn. It's as if they can't even fathom the idea that there are still nice places, where crack-heads don't scavenge your backyard; and where people aren't nasty and at each other's throats all of the time. -So they stay in the gulag, and become angry and bitter and miserable- while kidding themselves that they are "happy" because they earn a nice salary on paper (but which doesn't buy them much on Lawn Guyland)- and many of them will have to move anyway, when they retire, unless they belonged to a corrupt union, and had no moral issues with acting like the pols and bilking their neighbors for all they're worth.

A sad lot. I'm sure you'll agree, that it's nice to be away from their kind.
For somebody who claims to despise Long Island as much as you do, you certainly tend to spend a lot of time on this forum writing your rants. Guess what? Nobody who is happy on LI cares what you think, not in the least. Are you THAT BORED in cow and chicken country? Pity! No hobbies there? No Meetup clubs? No library? No women that don't look like linebackers ("Mama June" types)? Such a pity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 06:05 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
My apologies. It was my error to write Henderson, not Hendersonville. I don't know where Henderson is in TN or if there is a Henderson in TN somewhere.

Living in Hendersonville, TN is sort of like living in Commack and commuting to Manhattan for work. Right next to it is Mt. Juliet, another area seeing huge growth and property appreciation, which has commuter rail. That whole area has been appreciating over the last 10 years or so and real estate has gotten extremely hot lately. The whole area benefitted from the growth in the healthcare industry. Healthcare is by far the biggest industry and source of employment in that region with healthcare management companies, insurance companies, and quite a few major hospitals. There are also quite a few universities so the population is generally educated and attracts people from outside of the local vicinity. The styles of the homes are prettty diverse as well. There are still smaller older homes and then there are the new large homes like the OP bought. When I think of ostentaious McMansion type places, I think of nearby Brentwood, rather than Hendersonville. The only major contention that was going on, the last time I was in that region, was concern over the mall that is near Hendersonville as the locals considered it to be turning into how many people here feel about Green Acres. Not sure whatever happened about that. From what I understand, that mall has a very similar history and age (outdoor shopping center turned into indoor mall) to Green Acres. MIddle TN looks and feels very different from eastern TN just as downstate NY differs from upstate NY. With the growth in infrastructure and plans for expanding public transportation, I assume that taxes will be increasing there in the near future. Another big employer, of course, is the state government, since it's near the capital.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My apologies. It was my error to write Henderson, not Hendersonville. I don't know where Henderson is in TN or if there is a Henderson in TN somewhere.

Living in Hendersonville, TN is sort of like living in Commack and commuting to Manhattan for work. Right next to it is Mt. Juliet, another area seeing huge growth and property appreciation, which has commuter rail. That whole area has been appreciating over the last 10 years or so and real estate has gotten extremely hot lately. The whole area benefitted from the growth in the healthcare industry. Healthcare is by far the biggest industry and source of employment in that region with healthcare management companies, insurance companies, and quite a few major hospitals. There are also quite a few universities so the population is generally educated and attracts people from outside of the local vicinity. The styles of the homes are prettty diverse as well. There are still smaller older homes and then there are the new large homes like the OP bought. When I think of ostentaious McMansion type places, I think of nearby Brentwood, rather than Hendersonville. The only major contention that was going on, the last time I was in that region, was concern over the mall that is near Hendersonville as the locals considered it to be turning into how many people here feel about Green Acres. Not sure whatever happened about that. From what I understand, that mall has a very similar history and age (outdoor shopping center turned into indoor mall) to Green Acres. MIddle TN looks and feels very different from eastern TN just as downstate NY differs from upstate NY. With the growth in infrastructure and plans for expanding public transportation, I assume that taxes will be increasing there in the near future. Another big employer, of course, is the state government, since it's near the capital.
There is a Henderson in TN.

Driving everyday back and forth the distance from Commack to Manhattan just to work? No thank you.

If you can buy a brand new home for under $300K, PLUS have several just sitting there to choose from, including recently built homes, languishing on Zillow, I don't consider that "hot."

That mall story does not surprise me, especially in the South. They're afraid of the blacks and browns from Nashville just like people here are afraid of Queens.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM

595 posts, read 560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then WTF are houses on LI selling like crazy at higher than average prices? The NYC trickledown is still working.
Yes and Manhasset represents the entire island LOL smh

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
High tax rates prevent long island from ever becoming the main attraction

Long island will always be a depository of NYC wealth trickledown.

High tax will lower homes prices from the nyc trickledown effect. Go to eastern Queens & Brooklyn, detach homes are crazy expensive. Or look at those brownstones that go for 3 to 5 million in brooklyn

Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 PM

413 posts, read 598,944 times
Quote:
Yes and Manhasset represents the entire island LOL smh

Another non-point. Home prices up 9% in Hendersonville, TN, a "booming", "hot" suburb of Nashville. Prices in Nassau up 5%, a supposed area in decline. Mostly lower due to NY's archaic foreclosure laws that have dampened RE. Otherwise, as usual, LI would be smoking the hell out of most of the new-South retirement utopias in home prices and sales. Small variances also for Austin, Nashville et al which are much more popular than the average and bet your behind Austin is smack dab in a massive bubble. In fairness it's their first while LI has had many. Something to be said for consistently bouncing back over 50+ years. Oh yeah, and Hempstead is up 4.4%. LI has serious systemic problems that tick me off every day, but none as ridiculous as expats pretending they are magnanimous because they took their pension or RE profit and relocated like it was the greatest financial coup ever devised.

It's like they say about tattoos. "People with tattoos don't care that you DON'T have a tattoo." Just like "LI'ers don't care that you DON'T live here anymore."

Old 12-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Another non-point. Home prices up 9% in Hendersonville, TN, a "booming", "hot" suburb of Nashville. Prices in Nassau up 5%, a supposed area in decline. Mostly lower due to NY's archaic foreclosure laws that have dampened RE. Otherwise, as usual, LI would be smoking the hell out of most of the new-South retirement utopias in home prices and sales. Small variances also for Austin, Nashville et al which are much more popular than the average and bet your behind Austin is smack dab in a massive bubble. In fairness it's their first while LI has had many. Something to be said for consistently bouncing back over 50+ years. Oh yeah, and Hempstead is up 4.4%. LI has serious systemic problems that tick me off every day, but none as ridiculous as expats pretending they are magnanimous because they took their pension or RE profit and relocated like it was the greatest financial coup ever devised.

It's like they say about tattoos. "People with tattoos don't care that you DON'T have a tattoo." Just like "LI'ers don't care that you DON'T live here anymore."

Real estate is generally held for more than a year..longer term price changes are more relevant.

Hendersonville increased 8% since 2006
Austin increased 33% since 2006
Nassau county decreased 13% since 2006

I can understand the bitterness now

Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Real estate is generally held for more than a year..longer term price changes are more relevant.

Hendersonville increased 8% since 2006
Austin increased 33% since 2006
Nassau county decreased 13% since 2006

I can understand the bitterness now
Bitter?! You're the one on here and don't live here.

Selective data is fun though. You select #'s from the top of the peak to the bottom of the recession in 2012. Basically, RECESSION values. I'm sure no one heard about a recession that started hmmmm, just after 2006, huh? So Nassau is down 13%?! It was UP 19% just from 2005-2007 and add in before that and it's a bigger rise giving it room to fall. And it's UP AGAIN now. So nice cherry picking of stats that show the LI bubble bursting at the exact time the others which had zero RE (speculation, development or otherwise) began to grow. Stick with the one line fastball. Your curveball sucks and your passive aggressive "that's why you're bitter, biased, etc" [add dumb adjective here] is pretty lame and transparent. Austin (bubble poster child...and I know, I lived there, I have friends there and it's all over google...34%!! Of course that factors in the downtown spec condos that are destroying the vibe and killing sustainability, still plenty of great houses in the 'burbs for under $300k) and Nashville...two of the hottest markets. I'll counter with what?!?! HEMPSTEAD?!! NO!! The horror! Your center of the decline of civilization?!? The GHETTOW?! Up 20% over 10 years?! The least desirable spot on LI?! OK, post me the least desirable spot in TX or TN. I'm interested really. Not. It's a silly argument. You don't even live here.

Hempstead, NY
PERIOD TOTAL APPRECIATION

Since 1990 101.82% Last 10 Years 20.36% Last 5 Years 3.19% Last 2 Years 7.03% Last 12 Months 4.39%Latest Quarter 1.45%

Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Bitter?! You're the one on here and don't live here.

Selective data is fun though. You select #'s from the top of the peak to the bottom of the recession in 2012. Basically, RECESSION values. I'm sure no one heard about a recession that started hmmmm, just after 2006, huh? So Nassau is down 13%?! It was UP 19% just from 2005-2007 and add in before that and it's a bigger rise giving it room to fall. And it's UP AGAIN now. So nice cherry picking of stats that show the LI bubble bursting at the exact time the others which had zero RE (speculation, development or otherwise) began to grow. Stick with the one line fastball. Your curveball sucks and your passive aggressive "that's why you're bitter, biased, etc" [add dumb adjective here] is pretty lame and transparent. Austin (bubble poster child...and I know, I lived there, I have friends there and it's all over google...34%!! Of course that factors in the downtown spec condos that are destroying the vibe and killing sustainability, still plenty of great houses in the 'burbs for under $300k) and Nashville...two of the hottest markets. I'll counter with what?!?! HEMPSTEAD?!! NO!! The horror! Your center of the decline of civilization?!? The GHETTOW?! Up 20% over 10 years?! The least desirable spot on LI?! OK, post me the least desirable spot in TX or TN. I'm interested really. Not. It's a silly argument. You don't even live here.

Hempstead, NY
PERIOD TOTAL APPRECIATION

Since 1990 101.82% Last 10 Years 20.36% Last 5 Years 3.19% Last 2 Years 7.03% Last 12 Months 4.39%Latest Quarter 1.45%

Talk about rants, I quickly looked at Zillow.com 2006 through 2014. Bottom line: Long island underperformed compared to other locations. No need to take it personally

Old 12-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Talk about rants, I quickly looked at Zillow.com 2006 through 2014. Bottom line: Long island underperformed compared to other locations. No need to take it personally
Well documented that it's primarily due to the very slow foreclosure process in NY and NJ. My facts are rants but your BS is BS. "Rants?" "No need to take it personally?" Nice, a couple more limp-wristed passive aggressive slaps in place of a valid point or a shred of credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island