Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:09 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah no surprise here at all but shockingly enough the republicans re-took the state senate (so old Andy wont have free reign to pass whatever he wants) and knocked out Tim Bishop, an 8 term Dem congressman.
Keep in mind the Republicans in a way had the State Senate anyway, as a few Democrats in the Senate broke away to support an Independent Caucus that had a power sharing agreement with Skelos.

Also the State Senate has been bouncing back and forth the last several cycles. GOP had it until 2008 when the Dems took it over, GOP took it back in 2010, Dems won control back in 2012 (though some brole off and entered a power sharing agreement as stated above with Skelos)

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in 2016 with the higher turnout the Dems take control back the State Senate as it has pretty much been following that pattern of going back and forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 09:19 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I like John's proposal from the other thread for a NY State Electoral College to reduce the amount of influence that NYC has on statewide elections.

The fact that Astorino/Moss won Suffolk County is proof that he could very well have won the election if it wasent for NYC. I am proud of Rob and Chris, and I am also proud of all the Suffolk County residents who came out to vote.
There is no way that NYC would allow its influence to be reduced. Its funny but when I lived in Queens I used to think that the City was being ignored by the State. For instance, why does the State Police patrol highways in Nassau but not Queens? Don't Queens residents pay NYS taxes too? But now living in Suffolk I instead see that NYC has too much influence, particularly in the state assembly.

But I do agree that the creation of NYC the way it is now was a disaster for the state. It permanently divided the state into Us vs. Them. For instance, NYC voters do not pay the high property taxes that people outside the city pay so they do not understand how the rest of the state is being effected by them.

It would have been better if back in 1898 they created NYC as some kind of Metropolitan government instead of a single city. This way the outer boroughs could have still some independence but with advantages of unity in other areas.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 AM

413 posts, read 598,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
For instance, NYC voters do not pay the high property taxes that people outside the city pay so they do not understand how the rest of the state is being effected by them.
I don't really get this point. It's not the prop taxes that are the killer, it's the local school tax. I don't see suburbanites voting with their feet to relocate to Queens for the low taxes.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:55 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
I don't really get this point. It's not the prop taxes that are the killer, it's the local school tax. I don't see suburbanites voting with their feet to relocate to Queens for the low taxes.
anytime a budget fails to pass, they do a re-vote and make sure to yell from the rooftops that the kids will suffer with their demands for yet HIGHER pay increases, despite reduced enrollment in most LI districts.

why are they even allowed a re-vote?

it's all for the kids, right?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:44 AM

519 posts, read 597,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
I think the school taxes are worth it for the schools we get -They're a good value.

There's a LOT more waste in the county (and other not so obvious) taxes.... a lot more.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:50 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Should have an income based assessment. In theory it sounds plausible.
Don't know how it would pan out in reality.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM

258 posts, read 456,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I think the school taxes are worth it for the schools we get -They're a good value.

There's a LOT more waste in the county (and other not so obvious) taxes.... a lot more.
If you live in a good district. If you live in one that performs below state average, where's the value?

Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Should have an income based assessment. In theory it sounds plausible.
Don't know how it would pan out in reality.
I believe this is what they do in New Jersey. ANYTHING would be an improvement over the current arrangement.

I also believe New York should be decentralized instead of placing so much power in Albany. Additionally, I also support New York being divided into regions that would have fiscal autonomy and tax powers. For example this would prevent the current setup of having Long Island and the Hudson Valley funding the rest of the state (especially NYC) like a cash cow.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM

295 posts, read 345,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I believe this is what they do in New Jersey. ANYTHING would be an improvement over the current arrangement.

I also believe New York should be decentralized instead of placing so much power in Albany. Additionally, I also support New York being divided into regions that would have fiscal autonomy and tax powers. For example this would prevent the current setup of having Long Island and the Hudson Valley funding the rest of the state (especially NYC) like a cash cow.
The United Counties of New York in the United States of America?

Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The school cap and the entire assessment system (at least Nassau) is one big sick twisted joke.
Talk about smoke & mirrors?
Here is your tax bill. Vasoline not included.
After you leave us, would you say your kids got a good education in a safe environment and it was worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island