Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Maple View Post
Marigold, each one of these topics has a link to the plan details. The following information comes directly from Astorino's website.

ECONOMY
New York State is the highest taxed, most regulated, least business friendly state in America under Governor Cuomo.

Rob Astorino will launch an aggressive, pro-growth and pro-jobs economic agenda to revitalize New York’s stagnant economy.

He’ll deliver bold reforms to New York’s antiquated tax code and regulatory system, cut spending in real terms and reduce the cost of doing business in New York. That’s how you grow an economy — not with empty TV ads.

While Governor Cuomo claims New York is “Open for Business,” Rob Astorino will make it a reality by tapping into New York’s vast energy resources. He’ll approve clean and reliable natural gas exploration on day one, so we can lower electric rates, improve air quality, create tens of thousands of new jobs, and bring billions of dollars in new revenue to this state.

Rob Astorino will rebuild our infrastructure and work with the private sector to form public-private partnerships, bringing manufacturing and high tech industries back to New York.

And just like he did in Westchester, Rob Astorino will attack high property taxes by providing real mandate relief to our local governments.

Click here to read the full Astorino/Moss Tax and Budget Reform Plan
Click here to read the full Astorino/Moss Jobs Plan

EDUCATION
The current governor famously once said he would be the student’s lobbyist. He has been anything but. Whether it was disproportionately using education funding cuts to balance the state budget, rushing Common Core implementation or turning his back on thousands of lower-income students when he broke his promise to deliver on the Education Investment Tax Credit, Cuomo has not delivered for children. Nothing is more important than a good education. It’s as vital as a loving, safe, healthy and happy home for a child. The Astorino/Moss Education Plan seeks to bring control of education back to the local level with great input from teachers and parents, to develop the best education possible for our children where they are prepared to compete in both the global economy and life.

Click here to read the full Astorino/Moss Education Plan

ETHICS
County Executive Astorino has made Albany’s corruption a key tenet of his campaign and has frequently criticized Mr. Cuomo for his alleged interference in the Moreland Commission, where he reportedly tampered with criminal investigations involving political allies, prompting an investigation by the U.S. Attorney. Mr. Astorino has also cited Mr. Cuomo’s protection of Speaker Silver, who has helped cover up sex crimes in the state Assembly, as well as the Mr. Cuomo’s recent scandal involving potential property tax evasion as further proof the governor has directly contributed to New York’s corruption problems.

Click here to read the full Astorino/Moss Plan to clean up Albany’s corruption
Click here to read the full Astorino/Moss Public Safety Plan

Most of this is hyperbole. Show me a candidate who doesn't have a "pro growth and pro-jobs agenda." "Bold reforms." In ALBANY?!?!? "Vast energy sources" is code for FRACKING. No thanks.

Let me word this differently. Someone IN THEIR OWN WORDS sell us on Astorino WITHOUT sending me to his web page or telling me Cuomo is the devil. Otherwise I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:56 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
What's wrong with fracking? It would create tons of jobs upstate (which are sorely needed) and it would provide a big revenue boost to the state coffers.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
What's wrong with fracking? It would create tons of jobs upstate (which are sorely needed) and it would provide a big revenue boost to the state coffers.

Some people prefer their drinking water not be flammable. There is no need for more natural gas. We export most of it anyway and have enough. If someone proposes ending the use of oil I MIGHT consider expanding natural gas exploration through fracking because it would at least be us pretending to be trying be "self reliant" on energy. Instead, it's just more pollution, lower property values, wrecked lives and profits in the hands of big energy. No thanks. I'm far from a tree hugger, I'm pragmatic and allergic to BS. If big energy lobbying money stopped flowing into Washington and politicos stopped shilling for shortsighted energy jobs like fracking, we'd legitimately see renewables developed like batteries, solar, etc. There is no need to destroy the country or drag pipelines through the heartland for a glut of more antiquated energy solutions. It's ridiculous. You want jobs upstate...build solar panels. wind turbines, batteries. Oh wait, Germany already beat us to 50% of that market share while we forked over our cash to OPEC. Puh-leeze. Lobby so big they got them to force bio-diesel (natural) to be stored above ground for "safety" while diesel and petrol still underground. Yeah, BS meter tipping the needle!

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Most of this is hyperbole. Show me a candidate who doesn't have a "pro growth and pro-jobs agenda." "Bold reforms." In ALBANY?!?!? "Vast energy sources" is code for FRACKING. No thanks.

Let me word this differently. Someone IN THEIR OWN WORDS sell us on Astorino WITHOUT sending me to his web page or telling me Cuomo is the devil. Otherwise I don't care.
He's not screw-the-middle-class-Cuomo.

90%!!!!! NINETY PERCENT of UPK funding is going to NYC.

Cuomo screwed those people in state health care who are not big supporters of him and then turned around and made sure the NYC MTA got a sweetheart deal.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Seriously people, regardless of your party affiliation, let's start voting with our brains and not our emotions. Andrew Cuomo has been nothing more then the same corrupt, lying , politician that unfortunately we have just come to accept here in NY State. His bullying, his contempt for others, let's remember 2002 and think about why he DIDN'T get the Democratic nomination . Rob Astorino seems like a decent guy, and he's the only one fighting the US Justice Dept over their decree regarding the social engineering attempts by the fed Govt to introduce low income housing in more affluent areas, which to me is scary, having the govt tell you who will live where. It can't hurt to vote for Astorino. Plus common core is a disgrace. All we do is lose our freedoms and no one cares...

And any of you who think Astorino is a " union buster", all you union guys and women, just remember Tier 3 in New York City , and Tier 6 for state employees came under Paterson, and Andrew Cuomo , respectively.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:33 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
If the so-called Cuomo anger were legitimate, that could happen. I don't know that it is, though. There is more ambivalence about Cuomo than anger which is why his lead remains high.

Exactly, not to mention the area where there tends to be anger over Cuomo was for him not coming strong enough against fracking (which is why Cuomo didn't do all that well in some areas upstate during the Primary). Considering Astronino's fracking support, there is no chance those who weren't happy with Cuomo for not being strong enough against fracking are going to all of a sudden support someone who is not just not strong enough against fracking, but pro-fracking.

On most fiscal issues, there isn't like there is a ton of difference between the two of them. The biggest differences between them are on fracking, wanting to legislate personal religious beliefs (Astronino can't but would if he could) and guns.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 PM

23 posts, read 29,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Seriously people, regardless of your party affiliation, let's start voting with our brains and not our emotions. Andrew Cuomo has been nothing more then the same corrupt, lying , politician that unfortunately we have just come to accept here in NY State. His bullying, his contempt for others, let's remember 2002 and think about why he DIDN'T get the Democratic nomination . Rob Astorino seems like a decent guy, and he's the only one fighting the US Justice Dept over their decree regarding the social engineering attempts by the fed Govt to introduce low income housing in more affluent areas, which to me is scary, having the govt tell you who will live where. It can't hurt to vote for Astorino. Plus common core is a disgrace. All we do is lose our freedoms and no one cares...

And any of you who think Astorino is a " union buster", all you union guys and women, just remember Tier 3 in New York City , and Tier 6 for state employees came under Paterson, and Andrew Cuomo , respectively.
Great points!

I'm glad you mentioned the union buster concern. Most people don't realize that Astorino is actually a card carrying UNION MEMBER himself.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM

23 posts, read 29,804 times
Quote:

Did you even click the links in that post? They each give you very specific details of his plan - without hyperbole I might add. You've gotta read beyond the title and summary though. Sorry. I know... being an educated voter is exhausting.

You don't need our own words. You have the words of the candidate right at your finger tips. Hopefully Cuomo will decide to partake in a televised debate so he can save you the trouble of having to read.

Last edited by Mike Geraldo; 10-20-2014 at 05:39 PM..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
If either of them endorsed overturning the Triborough Amendment, how would that go over at CD? So far not a squawk about it, but I was just wondering.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Geraldo View Post
Did you even click the links in that post? They each give you very specific details of his plan - without hyperbole I might add. You've gotta read beyond the title and summary though. Sorry. I know... being an educated voter is exhausting.

You don't need our own words. You have the words of the candidate right at your finger tips. Hopefully Cuomo will decide to partake in a televised debate so he can save you the trouble of having to read.
Should I give you links to 25 other gubernatorial candidates with the same talking points all over the country?! Would that make you "educated?" I know what he's about on paper. It's a little thin (and a hair disingenuous) Maybe you buy into political rhetoric and posturing (written by campaign strategists) but I don't. So far since I asked for points I got another "see the website" and one more "because Cuomo sucks." Actually one semi-reasonable point about common core and some inane bit about "social engineering." So much for persuasive ideological or even tactical discussions from Astorino supporters. This is why from a strategic standpoint Cuomo doesn't have to debate. Astorino's people need to do better at selling their candidate. His robocall was good. He should sink some dough into media spots that showcase him and not manufactured repub Cuomo bashing. Like I said, no one is in love with Cuomo, but they aren't as angry as you guys are relying on either...and still, know one knows Astorino or isn't sold at all on him NOT being just left of Rick Santorum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island