Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Need 1/2 inch sheet rock, between a garage and living space now. Used to be 3.8th. In NYC for instance they double sheet rock the furnance room or put a flame retartdent type of material on furnance room if living space above. that.

After Sandy I did NYC fire code on my oil burner and the way my house is confirgured the smallest room which is normally the nursery is right above oil burner
Wrong. Typically a 90 min fire barrier is required. That would be a double layer of 5/8 sheetrock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:48 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Wrong. Typically a 90 min fire barrier is required. That would be a double layer of 5/8 sheetrock.

I have a double layer 5/8 sheetrock in furnance room. But someone told me 1/2 inch in garage.

Actually I have bottom half of sheetrock missing in garage from Sandy, I mold remdiated, put new instlation up and put plastic over it. Looks ugly. But I have no car in garage just junk

I wanted to put wood up but against fire code. Now I just dont feel like dealing with it.

I kinda like the cool urban feel and the blistering paint from the salt water has a brooklyn/soho vibe to it.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 PM

8 posts, read 13,091 times
This price seems a bit high but not crazy if the contractor is well known.

I'm assuming there is no existing floor above the garage? This means the contractor is not just adding walls and a roof but also framing a whole new floor system. In addition, there is also no existing plumbing above the garage, so it is not the same as just building a new bathroom since all of the pipes need to be added.

A typical bathroom with owner supplied tile/fixtures should cost you $12,500. Add an additional $3,000 for running the new plumbing. That means that the bathroom cost is roughly $15,500. The rest of you work should cost about $40,000 - $45,000. The job should probably cost $60,000 but Long Island is full of bad contractors so premier ones are allowed to charge a premium.

I know a few contractors and architects. If you need any recommendations message me or I can post.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 PM

26 posts, read 40,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyj354 View Post
This price seems a bit high but not crazy if the contractor is well known.

I'm assuming there is no existing floor above the garage? This means the contractor is not just adding walls and a roof but also framing a whole new floor system. In addition, there is also no existing plumbing above the garage, so it is not the same as just building a new bathroom since all of the pipes need to be added.

A typical bathroom with owner supplied tile/fixtures should cost you $12,500. Add an additional $3,000 for running the new plumbing. That means that the bathroom cost is roughly $15,500. The rest of you work should cost about $40,000 - $45,000. The job should probably cost $60,000 but Long Island is full of bad contractors so premier ones are allowed to charge a premium.

I know a few contractors and architects. If you need any recommendations message me or I can post.
Sure please recommend!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,113 times
I've never done or been involved with a project in which the GC isn't the owner (to some extent, see below). Nor have I heard any horror stories in which the owner was the GC; why do you suppose that is?

Generally, when the owner knows how things are done, or overseeing the work of all the trades, they can catch problems while it's being done wrong, or before it's covered up or part of a completed project. When it's your plumber (not the GCs) he's likely to point out problems with the framing. When it's your electrician he's likely to mention problems with the framing and plumbing. When it's your drywall guy he's likely to mention problems....etc. But if all these trades are being paid by a GC you hire then they may not (likely won't) say anything to you...nor will you know if they, themselves, are doing the right thing by you.

While it's fine to hire a GC, know that you're paying for him to be the GC, even if you're hiring all the trades yourself. But there's no reason why the owner can't be a GC to some extent.

When I'm not someone's GC (well, then I'm usually not on the project...unless I'm hired as the 'owner's representative'), I recommend hiring a GC for the exterior stuff only (framing, siding, roofing, windows). Once the shell is up and functioning the interior trades can be hired by the owner and at the owner's leisure...or as the budget allows. This is when the owner can save a fair amount of money by buying the materials and doing some of the work (ie. laying tile, installing bathroom fixtures, painting, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: