Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:52 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker View Post
IMO Malverne does not have excellent elementary schools. It has excellent elementary teachers. It has decent elementary schools at best.The students ares still treated like a stat by admins. There is very limited enrichment and most of the resources go to remediation for struggling students. The state scores were in the bottom quartile before common core was introduced and the amount of students coming up through that system and fail at higher ed is dramatic. The art curriculum is a joke and music doesn't really start until 4th grade. It's all relative. They seem excellent as compared to the middle and high school but put them up against VS or Lynbrook or most other middle class districts and you can see clearly how much is lacking.
You do realize that there are 2 school districts within Malverne right?? I went to district 13 schools which are in Valley Stream back in 1970's and 80's and they were fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 14,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You do realize that there are 2 school districts within Malverne right?? I went to district 13 schools which are in Valley Stream back in 1970's and 80's and they were fine.
There's are no District 13 (Valley Stream) schools in Malverne that I remember. There are some Malverne Village homes zoned for Valley Stream schools. If it wasn't clear I was talking about the Malverne school district only.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Maker View Post
There's are no District 13 (Valley Stream) schools in Malverne that I remember. There are some Malverne Village homes zoned for Valley Stream schools. If it wasn't clear I was talking about the Malverne school district only.
Oh yes that's right my house growing up was zoned for district 13.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
My point is that, most white parents in lower performing majority- white LI school districts (like East Rockaway, Longwood, Hampton Bays, Pat-Med and William Floyd) DONT send their kids to private school. But in majority-minority districts, they choose to do so....this is likely so their child doesn't stand out. Those school districts perform even way lower than Malverne yet have way lower private school enrollments, the only differentiating factor is race.
Please show me a school district that "perform even way lower than Malverne yet have way lower private school enrollments" that isn't a minority majority school district.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Let me clarify something:

Malverne school's actually perform decently. The reason the schools have a reputation is SOLELY due to it's racial makeup. Nassau County has a long history of poor race relations and this is just a symptom of that. If you want more proof, look at the questionable reputations of other diverse school systems like Baldwin and Elmont's that actually perform perfectly fine.

Here's a thread that people put together to compare the performances of LI districts. And as you can see, even though Malverne is far from being a top school, it still performs better than a lot of well-regarded school systems like East Rockaway and Glen Cove.

The thread- //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...gs-2014-a.html
Ranked 7/10 on greatschools also- Malverne Union Free School District in Malverne, NY | GreatSchools

If people don't like a school b/c of it's racial makeup, they should just admit that; and not try to demonize the schools/students.
Yeah, Malverne is not good, but it's not the bottom by any means. I don't think the problem is actually racial makeup because the Malverne schools include Lakeview, but poor attitudes and bad behavior of the students left unchecked by parents who do not care much about education. There was a person posting on CD a couple of years ago who moved into Malverne SD and she was always cheerleading it, until she finally posted (after about a year of being in that school district) that she gives up on Malverne SD, the parents don't care, the kids don't care, and it's a zoo. I believe this was ELEMENTARY school her kid was in, not high school. She had posted that she had tried to be very active in the PTA, etc., but was appalled at the attitudes of most of the other parents.

If the OP is black, it could be comfortable for her kid if she decides to use the public schools in the future. She would just have to keep on top of the kid not to hang around with bad companions who don't care about school. If not, she should have bought Malverne in the borders of Valley Stream SD 13 if she wants her non-black Malverne resident kid to be comfortable in public school.

It's interesting that East Rockaway is considered "good." Probably only because it is majority white (trashy some would say). There may be no or few blacks (and many LI'ers consider that an asset), but the parents and kids can be a rough lot who don't care much for education. As for Glen Cove, the people with money never send their kids to public school, they always have used privates. A lot of the kids going to Glen Cove public school are the children of hispanic immigrant servants and they probably score lower because of lack of fluency in english of the parents (and some of the kids) and a lack of "Tiger Moms" like the Asians have.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 02-28-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Exactly!! People are saying lock you doors and all other kids of nutty things, Malverne is not CI or Wyandanch.
Definitely not! Malverne is an attractive little village and not a crime hot spot.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM

62 posts, read 105,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Yeah, Malverne is not good, but it's not the bottom by any means. I don't think the problem is actually racial makeup because the Malverne schools include Lakeview, but poor attitudes and bad behavior of the students left unchecked by parents who do not care much about education. There was a person posting on CD a couple of years ago who moved into Malverne SD and she was always cheerleading it, until she finally posted (after about a year of being in that school district) that she gives up on Malverne SD, the parents don't care, the kids don't care, and it's a zoo. I believe this was ELEMENTARY school her kid was in, not high school. She had posted that she had tried to be very active in the PTA, etc., but was appalled at the attitudes of most of the other parents.

If the OP is black, it could be comfortable for her kid if she decides to use the public schools in the future. She would just have to keep on top of the kid not to hang around with bad companions who don't care about school. If not, she should have bought Malverne in the borders of Valley Stream SD 13 if she wants her non-black Malverne resident kid to be comfortable in public school.

It's interesting that East Rockaway is considered "good." Probably only because it is majority white (trashy some would say). There may be no or few blacks (and many LI'ers consider that an asset), but the parents and kids can be a rough lot who don't care much for education. As for Glen Cove, the people with money never send their kids to public school, they always have used privates. A lot of the kids going to Glen Cove public school are the children of hispanic immigrant servants and they probably score lower because of lack of fluency in english of the parents (and some of the kids) and a lack of "Tiger Moms" like the Asians have.
What's the difference between the Malverne and Valley Stream school districts? Aren't they both majority minority?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianatoni11 View Post
Thanks everyone! I've read about the school district, but wasn't sure if that was the only con. My older one will be in college next year and my little one will be going to pre-k next year. I know. . I'm crazy For now I'll be driving to Astoria to drop them off at my mom's in Astoria. ( I have a separate thread on commuting to Astoria, but feel free to comment on that too). I'll be sending my little one to school in Astoria by my mom's since my mom will be picking her up after school. I'm going to do that for now since she's really small, but I'll see as she gets older. At that point then I'll have to figure something out. It's unfortunate that the area is so nice, but the schools are not.
I too am in Astoria and looking into Malverne with a very similar situation with our daughter! Any advice??

Old 09-04-2015, 07:26 PM

172 posts, read 185,551 times
Good luck with your new house. Malverne is a very pretty area. You are also fortunate to have the Long Island Rail Road station. Malverne also has a local theatre that shows classic movies, a a rarity on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island