Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:17 PM

796 posts, read 1,755,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't claim to know anything about GC, and I actually grew up and graduated from Great Neck South in 92... but is the school in GC really that academically bad or is everyone just exaggerating it?? I always assumed while it was not elite academically it was at least above average.
No, GC isn't academically bad at all, just that the top 10% of students at GC are probably academically equivalent to maybe the top 10%-25% at Jericho, Syosset, or Roslyn, even though the real estate market makes it look like they're academically equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
I'm unsure where you're getting your data.
Schooldigger based on NYS regents scores in math and english.

Best High Schools in New York - NY School Rankings

Old 11-11-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Schooldigger based on NYS regents scores in math and english.

Best High Schools in New York - NY School Rankings
Those scores are terribly inaccurate. No way in hell does any high school have a high-90 average for the Algebra 2 Regents. Over half the class would need to get a perfect score. Plus, it shows random high schools that are in the middle of rural Upstate NY as having 100 averages. There's just now way those are accurate.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Those scores are terribly inaccurate. No way in hell does any high school have a high-90 average for the Algebra 2 Regents. Over half the class would need to get a perfect score. Plus, it shows random high schools that are in the middle of rural Upstate NY as having 100 averages. There's just now way those are accurate.
Does this strike you as a school district that is weak academically? See link.

http://www.gardencity.k12.ny.us/cms/...%20Profile.pdf

Old 11-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Does this strike you as a school district that is weak academically? See link.

http://www.gardencity.k12.ny.us/cms/...%20Profile.pdf
Weak academically? No.

Weaker academically than other school districts in the same price range? Yes.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:46 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Actually Great Neck and Garden City both suck. The schools have been going downhill since the 1980s

Old 11-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Actually Great Neck and Garden City both suck. The schools have been going downhill since the 1980s
North maybe, but definitely not South.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
North maybe, but definitely not South.

South is unrecongnizable today. They should just sell off the tennis courts, soccer fields and football field as todays student population only studies for tests. No time.

South was at its best way back when they actually graduated students with useful knowledge.

Cooking, Baking, Audit Repair, Small Engine Repair, Auto Repair, Blueprint reading, metal working, woodworking, health, drivers ed, sports.

Today you graduate HS fairly useless. Everything that was not measured in rankings was dropped over time.

I graduated Great Neck South and we had a record amount of folks going to ivy league schools, folds getting perfect SAT scores and were ranked higher than today.

But at my house you will still see a few woodworking projects, metal shop projects, shooting the breeze at the dealership as I got to rebuild aa few engines in school and use welding equipment, lathes, kilns etc. Great Stuff. The academic classes Regents and SAT stuff mainly useless information. Yet GNS only teaches useless info now. They know how to do calculus on an IPAD but cant change a tire, cook a muffin or even do basic carpentary.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
South is unrecongnizable today. They should just sell off the tennis courts, soccer fields and football field as todays student population only studies for tests. No time.

South was at its best way back when they actually graduated students with useful knowledge.

Cooking, Baking, Audit Repair, Small Engine Repair, Auto Repair, Blueprint reading, metal working, woodworking, health, drivers ed, sports.

Today you graduate HS fairly useless. Everything that was not measured in rankings was dropped over time.

I graduated Great Neck South and we had a record amount of folks going to ivy league schools, folds getting perfect SAT scores and were ranked higher than today.

But at my house you will still see a few woodworking projects, metal shop projects, shooting the breeze at the dealership as I got to rebuild aa few engines in school and use welding equipment, lathes, kilns etc. Great Stuff. The academic classes Regents and SAT stuff mainly useless information. Yet GNS only teaches useless info now. They know how to do calculus on an IPAD but cant change a tire, cook a muffin or even do basic carpentary.
Forgive me here, you sound much like every "old" person used to sound to me. This was much better years ago and that would never have happened and we walked to school uphill both ways.

Times have changed and the competitiveness has increased from district to district. Face it, many schools that were considered "stellar" back then are no where near that today. This is due to a variety of changes including changing demographic, shift in curricula and shift in what the parents consider important.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:09 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
Quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I had parents who taught me practical skills. I can do all kinds of home projects, including gardening, cooking, budgeting, cleaning, auto repair, laundry, DIY home repair, etc. I agree that kids need to know this stuff but I'm not sure they need to learn at school (unless they extend the day by 3 hours).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island