Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 8,317 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. This is my first post as a new home buyer in Nassau county West Hempstead. My new home currently has a oil based heating system with a indirect water heating system which is powered by the oil furnace. The system is entirely new models from this year 2014 except for the oil tank which is original from the previous home owners. My question is does anyone have experience with indirect water heating systems? I've heard they last basically forever but the fact that it's heated through our oil furnace I'm thinking that it would be more expensive than gas based heating. Basically it would be on all year around not just winter time to heat the house. The house is not currently hooked up for gas but our next door neighbor already has a gas line going in to their house. But having new line put in to the house would cost over $10k. Am I worrying too much over this issue or should I look into converting to gas from oil. I'll be in this house for at least 5-7 years. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Glad you asked this. I currently have a superstore tank running off the oil burner and was considering ditching it for a gas water heater (already have gas in the house). Recently though I was told an indirect would be a better option and save me more money then going with a gas heater. Hopefully someone with some experience with this stuff can chime in!

In your case though OP, with entirely new equipment and an indirect you wont be burning much oil in the off season just to get hot water. It certainly wouldn't be worth 10k to run a gas line just to change to gas IMO.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM

saw this online. gives a lot of good information on indirect water heaters.

Heidronics: What every boiler owner should know about indirect water heaters

Yes the cost to convert is too high and would take me a while to recoup the difference in cost of the converstion. But I would like to see if anyone has experience in this system and how well it works

Old 11-12-2014, 09:38 AM

169 posts, read 675,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchei6 View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first post as a new home buyer in Nassau county West Hempstead. My new home currently has a oil based heating system with a indirect water heating system which is powered by the oil furnace. The system is entirely new models from this year 2014 except for the oil tank which is original from the previous home owners. My question is does anyone have experience with indirect water heating systems? I've heard they last basically forever but the fact that it's heated through our oil furnace I'm thinking that it would be more expensive than gas based heating. Basically it would be on all year around not just winter time to heat the house. The house is not currently hooked up for gas but our next door neighbor already has a gas line going in to their house. But having new line put in to the house would cost over $10k. Am I worrying too much over this issue or should I look into converting to gas from oil. I'll be in this house for at least 5-7 years. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
It's not worth the effort to run a gas line just for the hot water. If you're doing that, convert the house heating system and hot water.

I have an indirect oil fired hot water system as well. In the summer, i keep it at 120 degrees and 140 in the winter. Overall, it costs around .8 gal/day to keep the water hot in the summer and around 1 gallon/day in the winter with the aquastat kicked up a notch to 140.

The return on investment is just not there if all you're doing is hot water and not home heating.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM

well I was thinking of doing a partial conversion to gas. using the oil furnace which is brand new and do a conversion kit to gas. I have zero experience with this conversion and need some information as to how well it works and cost

Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
For a 5-7 year stay it is barely break-even for a full conversion. Forget about it and just live with oil, even the old tank unless it's leaking. Oil is down now anyway.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
I wouldn't touch anything yet. Let the system as is until its time to do a whole conversion. My boiler runs maybe 2 times a day for about 3 mins over the summer months for hot water. You're talking nothing.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
Stainless steel indirect fired storage tanks are my favorite choice even if its fired with oil. You are getting domestic hot water at the eff. as your oil burner which will be much than a hot water heater. Hot water heater run at 50% eff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: