Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post
I need to revisit this thread as we now have orders, her report date is Feb. 10th.

Our current plans are as follows:

Jan, 9th: Depart Denver in my vehicle
Jan, 12th: Arrive NYC and start house hunting
Jan, 18th: Fly back to Denver
Jan, 19th: Get the movers started packing our household goods
Depart Denver in my wife's vehicle when the moving truck pulls out and arrive in our new home in NY sometime prior to the end of the month.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with the rental market in the area? We found one home we quite liked from the pictures, but the deposit was two months rent and then there was a 10% of the first year broker's fee involved also. Move-in costs would have been around $11K (before the first month's rent!). I was stunned. Having a mortgage payment in Portland and having to come up with that kind of cash would be really difficult, not to mention losing the use of that money for the extent of our stay in NY.

Second question, what are the gun laws in NY? We own a pistol, a .22 rifle, and a BB gun. I want to make sure we get where we're going with no run-ins with the local constabulary (I'm going to avoid NJ at all costs). Does anyone have any guidance on transportation of firearms and ammunition?
If you live in NYC (the 5 boroughs) you will need a permit for both the rifle and the pistol. If on Long Island, you will need a permit to own the pistol not the rifle. I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the only legal way to bring a non registered the pistol into the state is to have it shipped to a licensed firearms dealer and they will lock it up (for a fee) until you obtain your permit which currently has a 6 month backlog. Honestly I would just sell it where you are and avoid the headache, then obtain your permit here and purchase one after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 AM

904 posts, read 1,382,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Security deposits range from 1 month to 2 months; you happened to like a rental where the landlord wants two months . Broker fees can range from 1 month up to 15% of annual rent. And then of course the first month's rent - yes, it's a lot of money. Such is the rental market in downstate New York...
Thank you very much Elke. I appreciate it. We're still trying to figure out how we're going to afford that kind of money. Ongoing isn't a problem, but the move-in is going to be an issue.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
If you live in NYC (the 5 boroughs) you will need a permit for both the rifle and the pistol. If on Long Island, you will need a permit to own the pistol not the rifle. I'm not an expert on this, but I believe the only legal way to bring a non registered the pistol into the state is to have it shipped to a licensed firearms dealer and they will lock it up (for a fee) until you obtain your permit which currently has a 6 month backlog. Honestly I would just sell it where you are and avoid the headache, then obtain your permit here and purchase one after.
Thank you! That's good advice. We may just leave them here in Denver with friends.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Thank you! That's good advice. We may just leave them here in Denver with friends.
That's the best solution!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much Elke. I appreciate it. We're still trying to figure out how we're going to afford that kind of money. Ongoing isn't a problem, but the move-in is going to be an issue.
If you really like the apartment, maybe your agent can ask the landlord if they will take the 2nd month's security in installments; maybe 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 for the first three months or something along those lines, to make it easier for you during the transition.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:34 PM

Elke, it just seems very odd that the Renter and not the Rentee pays that fee!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Elke, it just seems very odd that the Renter and not the Rentee pays that fee!
I understand how you feel. However, lots of things in Real Estate are done differently here on Long Island
In most other parts of the country, including upstate NY, the landlord pays the fee for residential rentals - but not here, sorry. That's why most landlords around here use Realtors to field potential tenants--they only have to make final decisions, because we do the interviewing, check backgrounds, etc. and it's free for them!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
I'm afraid what you encountered is the standard practice of obtaining a rental home or apartment here. We often use brokers and agents for rentals and the renter always pays the fee. You might be able to find a rental without a broker, but often agents have access to rentals that are not available otherwise and as Elke said, since the buyer pays the fee, it is in the landlord's interest to use the broker who will make the arrangements, check credentials and do the credit check. You will probably have to pay for that credit check, as well. If you aren't asked for two months of rent for security, then the landlord will ask for the first and last month rent of the lease which will come out to the same. Do not expect to get your security deposit back. Landlords often will find some reason not to return it. People here often spend several thousand dollars just to get a rental. Demand by far outweights supply.

Also before you start packing everything, make sure that you have all of your documents, tax returns, bank statements, etc. Some landlords require more documentation, some less.

Last edited by Coney; 12-03-2014 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I'm afraid what you encountered is the standard practice of obtaining a rental home or apartment here. We often use brokers and agents for rentals and the renter always pays the fee. You might be able to find a rental without a broker, but often agents have access to rentals that are not available otherwise and as Elke said, since the buyer pays the fee, it is in the landlord's interest to use the broker who will make the arrangements, check credentials and do the credit check. You will probably have to pay for that credit check, as well. If you aren't asked for two months of rent for security, then the landlord will ask for the first and last month rent of the lease which will come out to the same. Do not expect to get your security deposit back. Landlords often will find some reason not to return it. People here often spend several thousand dollars just to get a rental. Demand by far outweights supply.

Also before you start packing everything, make sure that you have all of your documents, tax returns, bank statements, etc. Some landlords require more documentation, some less.
Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. Keeping security deposits seems pretty shady to me. I'm guessing the JAG may have something to say about that if it were to happen.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Looks like Fort Totten - that's on the North Shore of Queens (which is a borough of NY City).

No need to go to "Long Island" - with your budget, you should have no trouble finding something in Bayside or Fresh Meadows.
yes but living inside NYC limits will cause them to get hit with the NYC income tax. Not so if they live in Nassau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island