Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 02:19 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You're not going to enjoy living on Long Island without a car, I don't care if you can walk to the LIRR or anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Great Neck, Garden City, Long Beach, Port Washington, Rockville Centre are doable without a car if you live downtown by the train. I agree with the poster though who said you won't really enjoy Long Island's full potential without a car.
I can add my voice to what they both said (both Twingles and Tomais). That is, there are a host of places you can live and walk around to local shopping and also to the LIRR station and more or less manage but you are going to feel rather limited to not being able to get around like everyone else around you can & to partake of the rest of the totality of what is Long Island (or even to substantive-enough parts of Eastern Queens and Eastern Brooklyn) without having a car at your avail. For while the LIRR and the MTA subway and bus systems runs 24/7/365, the buses serving Nassau and Suffolk Counties do not do so and trying to depend on the schedules and frequency (or better phrased as infrequency) of the Nassau or Suffolk bus systems to get around to anyplace and anywhere whenever you want to and at whatever time of day or night you want to will be an exercise in extreme frustration . . . and then said buses simply stop running altogether after a certain hour. I don't know that you'd want to make a way-of-life out of renting ZipCars or any of their competitors with frequency, as the costs can really add up.

In summary, perhaps it can be that you and your significant other can pool your incomes/resources to have at least one car (if not two cars) at your avail and then find ways to make sacrifices or economizations in other areas of your life to make up the difference in cost (between owning a car versus not owning a car) as best as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
A significant problem with living in Long Island without a car, or any suburban area for that matter, is that places are strictly zoned as residential or commercial, so there are only houses in residential areas and only stores in commercial areas. So, with your house in a residential area, you'd most likely be very far (>15 minute walk) from any store, and even farther from a large department store.

The NICE bus system has very bad service throughout the county, and doesn't serve most residential areas.

Why do they take it upon themselves to call it "NICE" then? They should call it "NOT SO NICE".

(just joking)

Last edited by UsAll; 11-16-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 04:43 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairelewis View Post
Move to Long Beach. Its a great place especially in summer. You can take the LIRR to city or take the NICE bus to Queens then take the MTA subway its 20 min long to get to city and cheaper.Long Beach has a lot of rentals.
Might as well just stay in the City. Long Beach feels no different. And for being so geographically close to the City....it's a royal pain to get ANYWHERE from there.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:55 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Might as well just stay in the City. Long Beach feels no different. And for being so geographically close to the City....it's a royal pain to get ANYWHERE from there.
I agree, Nassau is almost the 6th borough now, without the lower taxes and good transportation. The crowds and the potholes are almost like Queens.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
i wouldn't do it since it's quite a ways from NYC, but i imagine i could get by without a car in Patchogue village. everything I need is within walking distance.
A bicycle would even make it more convenient.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I agree, Nassau is almost the 6th borough now, without the lower taxes and good transportation. The crowds and the potholes are almost like Queens.
I've lived in Suffolk; I've lived in Queens; but I would never EVER live in Nassau! It's truly the worst of both worlds. Suffolk taxes; even higher prices; with the crime and congestion of Queens.

Seriously, blindfold somebody and drop them in Long Beach and then tell them they're in the Rockaways, bet they wouldn't know the difference!

I'm not a huge fan of Staten Island...but it';s still my vote if OP wants to get more suburban than Brooklyn, and yet live without a car.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
i wouldn't do it since it's quite a ways from NYC, but i imagine i could get by without a car in Patchogue village. everything I need is within walking distance.
A bicycle would even make it more convenient.
Where would one do grocery shopping? (And other than bars and restaurants, there's really nothing in the village, in walking distance, at night or on weekends....and a betching commute to Brooklyn!)

Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
Quote:
Where would one do grocery shopping? (And other than bars and restaurants, there's really nothing in the village, in walking distance, at night or on weekends....and a betching commute to Brooklyn!)
There's Bravo for general stuff, Del Fiore and Karl Ehmer for the butcher/deli stuff, and Wallen's for health/organic stuff. There's also The Cheese Patch, if you're into some amazing cheeses.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
There's Bravo for general stuff, Del Fiore and Karl Ehmer for the butcher/deli stuff, and Wallen's for health/organic stuff. There's also The Cheese Patch, if you're into some amazing cheeses.
I'm not familiar with bravo, but according to JohnInWestbury, it's not suitable for real grocery shopping- and those other places sound like one had better have deep pockets. Where would ya get a roll of terlit paper? 7-11?

Old 11-17-2014, 01:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
I've lived in Suffolk; I've lived in Queens; but I would never EVER live in Nassau! It's truly the worst of both worlds. Suffolk taxes; even higher prices; with the crime and congestion of Queens.
I could see how all of the money and successful people might be a problem for you.
Quote:
Seriously, blindfold somebody and drop them in Long Beach and then tell them they're in the Rockaways, bet they wouldn't know the difference!
what a ridiculous statement that shows a complete lack of familiarity with both areas, both the good parts and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island