Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 12,264 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am relatively new to this forum. I am buying a house in Bellmore (town of hempstead). I am having a company put a SHELL dormer on my house. I will be doing all of the electrical rough-in, plumbing rough-in, sheetrock, tiling and bathroom fixture installation. I know exactly what I am doing and am very well experienced in Home Renovation and construction. That isn't the problem. The problem is TOH.

I called them up a few different times and got a few different stories.

First - they told me I was allowed to do all the plumbing and electrical work since I was the homeowner - all I would have to do is fill out an affidavit at the TOH and allow their inspectors to come in and sign-off on everything. They mentioned this was considered the "homeowner exception".

Second - I called them up a week or two later to follow up and they transferred me to permits and said that I needed to APPLY for a license in order to do the work, which would involve filing applications and taking written exams.

Third - they told me that I would need to file for a separate permit for the electrical & plumbing, apply for applications and take a test to prove I knew what I was doing.

Does ANYONE know ANYTHING about the homeowner doing their own work. It is CLEARLY listed in Sec. 84-10 of the TOH Code that a Homeowner can do their own electrical wiring, with no written exams, no extra fees, etc. - clean and simple. But the people I talk to on the phone don't seem to know that?

My follow up question is this: Once I iron out all this and I am actually able to do the work in my house is there any electrical or plumbing "checklist or guide" to follow for residential work. As far as electrical I have that pretty well figured out - staples 8" away from boxes, every 4', AFCI breakers, GFIs in kitchens, baths, separate circuits for fridge, dishwasher, etc. However, I can't seem to find a comprehensive checklist for plumbing rough-in. I know the basics - 12" for toilet rough in, needs to be 3" pipe, no trap needed. Sinks are 1.5" drain, tubs are 2" drains, venting needs to be "x" feet when it is "x" inches in diameter, etc. Pipes need to be supported/clamped every 4', etc.

Any help that anyone can lend would be GREATLY appreciated! Just trying to get things moving in the right direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island