Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about some of the recent posting I have seen and just wanted to make a few comments.

The internet is a wonderful tool. The anonymity of the internet can offer shelter to good and bad purposes.

The reason for my joining CD way back when was to see if I could get a few questions answered. I found and still do find CD to be a mostly helpful forum. I also hope that I have been able to help another poster when they have questions.

The rules of civility need to be considered. No one should be sitting in judgment of another poster no matter what and no one should be put down for their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but words can hurt and I think we all, myself included, need to think about what we are writing.

For those new to the forum, there used to be a guy Walter Greenspan, who used to post maps with hamlets and town lines, ad nauseum. He did get on your nerves because he would use the thinnest margin of appropriateness to post one of his maps. Here is a link for those of you who don't know of the now departed, Walter Greenspan. //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...untington.html Scroll to post #4

The map itself answers little to nothing of the OP questions, but he would post them. He never got nasty and took all the chiding in good form. He could annoy the crap out of you with his silly maps, but he was never, rude or judgmental toward another poster. We could all take a page out of his book.

It doesn't hurt to be nice and if a poster bothers you simply put them on your ignore list or skip their posts. Someone looking for attention will "win" if you respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:08 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
But you live in NEW YAWK! NYers don't need anonymity to be rude and nasty!

Quit your female-dogging; pull up your big-girl panties, and simply ignore what you don't like; or accept that it is someone else's opinion/reaction, and that it may be just as valid as your own.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
But you live in NEW YAWK! NYers don't need anonymity to be rude and nasty!

Quit your female-dogging; pull up your big-girl panties, and simply ignore what you don't like; or accept that it is someone else's opinion/reaction, and that it may be just as valid as your own.

One correction, I was a life long LI'er, til I retired.

I have no problem with someone else voicing their opinions at all, in fact I stated that. You can state your opinion and support why you feel that way, with FACTS, but to casually make a statement that is hurtful and derogatory and then to try to justify it as your opinion, is wrong. Additionally, why is it necessary for a poster to mock and put someone else down.? What I am suggesting is in fact, civility and hurtful, derogatory comments are not called for. You can disagree but name calling and judging others as either a statement of fact or opinion is plain wrong and that is fact not opinion.

Again, I suggested putting another poster on ignore if you re read my original post.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:33 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
liberals...

Sorry. Had to...

Old 11-16-2014, 05:14 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I got to thinking about some of the recent posting I have seen and just wanted to make a few comments.

The internet is a wonderful tool. The anonymity of the internet can offer shelter to good and bad purposes.

The reason for my joining CD way back when was to see if I could get a few questions answered. I found and still do find CD to be a mostly helpful forum. I also hope that I have been able to help another poster when they have questions.

The rules of civility need to be considered. No one should be sitting in judgment of another poster no matter what and no one should be put down for their beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but words can hurt and I think we all, myself included, need to think about what we are writing.

For those new to the forum, there used to be a guy Walter Greenspan, who used to post maps with hamlets and town lines, ad nauseum. He did get on your nerves because he would use the thinnest margin of appropriateness to post one of his maps. Here is a link for those of you who don't know of the now departed, Walter Greenspan. //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...untington.html Scroll to post #4

The map itself answers little to nothing of the OP questions, but he would post them. He never got nasty and took all the chiding in good form. He could annoy the crap out of you with his silly maps, but he was never, rude or judgmental toward another poster. We could all take a page out of his book.

It doesn't hurt to be nice and if a poster bothers you simply put them on your ignore list or skip their posts. Someone looking for attention will "win" if you respond.
I want to thank you for this post as I agree as well. There are so many different annoying posters on this board and I read just about every post and laugh but what I don't so is comment and start arguments like many others do. Plain and simple ignore the poster or don't read the post, or do what I do read it and keep your mouth shut!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
One correction, I was a life long LI'er, til I retired.

I have no problem with someone else voicing their opinions at all, in fact I stated that. You can state your opinion and support why you feel that way, with FACTS, but to casually make a statement that is hurtful and derogatory and then to try to justify it as your opinion, is wrong. Additionally, why is it necessary for a poster to mock and put someone else down.? What I am suggesting is in fact, civility and hurtful, derogatory comments are not called for. You can disagree but name calling and judging others as either a statement of fact or opinion is plain wrong and that is fact not opinion.

Again, I suggested putting another poster on ignore if you re read my original post.
Sometimes people have a good reason for name-calling and being derogatory, etc. Even if they don't- it's still an expression of their opinion. Maybe they just plain don't like someone. Why should anyone let the opinion of others bother them?

Personally, I try and treat most people in a civil, polite and warm manner- but then again, there are some people whom I find so odious, that I might just say "Hey, female-hygiene product....!!!".

And personally, I'd rather have someone use direct language on me, and thus know their true feelings, as opposed to having them couch their anger/hate/distaste in flowery hypocritical words. Kind of like when you get a letter from the electric company or a government office that says something like "Dear valued customer...yada yada..." and it sounds all nice and polite and politically-correct, but yet in-fact you know, they are telling you to commit fornication with yourself.

I value seeing people's true emotions/intents/feelings, rather than seeing them make nice-nice, and knowing that what I'm seeing is not representative of the way they really feel.

Also, so much depends on one's interpretation; and circumstances.....

I just take it all in, and don't let it bother me- and even more so on an internet forum, with a bunch of strangers whom I've never even met personally.

Last edited by Mumbly Joe; 11-16-2014 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Must. Add. Few more instances. of. "Personally"!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Sometimes people have a good reason for name-calling and being derogatory, etc. Even if they don't- it's still an expression of their opinion. Maybe they just plain don't like someone. Why should anyone let the opinion of others bother them?

Personally, I try and treat most people in a civil, polite and warm manner- but then again, there are some people whom I find so odious, that I might just say "Hey, female-hygiene product....!!!".

And personally, I'd rather have someone use direct language on me, and thus know their true feelings, as opposed to having them couch their anger/hate/distaste in flowery hypocritical words. Kind of like when you get a letter from the electric company or a government office that says something like "Dear valued customer...yada yada..." and it sounds all nice and polite and politically-correct, but yet in-fact you know, they are telling you to commit fornication with yourself.

I value seeing people's true emotions/intents/feelings, rather than seeing them make nice-nice, and knowing that what I'm seeing is not representative of the way they really feel.

Also, so much depends on one's interpretation; and circumstances.....

I just take it all in, and don't let it bother me- and even more so on an internet forum, with a bunch of strangers whom I've never even met personally.
There is NO good reason to name call or be derogatory. I don't care how many ways you try to spin it, it is a form of bullying or in other words being abusive, when extreme.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
...nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Totally agree with OP. We really ought to think before we speak as there is no-return policy once the words come out.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
...nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon?
Writing Christmas Cards out. I start to get busy, busy next week, so I started them yesterday and got to thinking about the ugliness on the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island