Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
[/b]

When you are in intense painful agony. You don't want to die, but you are desperate for the pain and suffering to stop, whether mentally, physically, or both. Generally, emotional pain induces genuine physical pain. This is why we should think before we speak or write because sometimes, a tiny little cut, even if it appears to seem harmless or miniscule or trivial, into a deep pre-existing wound, is enough to drive a person to the edge.
Yes, I realize this. My own cousin placed his service revolver to his head and pulled the trigger. It has left the family with more questions than answers. His parents have beaten themselves up wondering what they said or did. His suicide has impacted the family in ways unimaginable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 11,824 times
It's frustrating either way if you're on a train that strikes a person. It's one of the problems with the LIRR, and probably other railroads.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:47 PM

122 posts, read 266,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Better they jumped on the way to work as opposed at day's end when people want to come home. That's the worst.
No, not kidding.

+1 agreed!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:15 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromNY View Post
I think you have that backwards. Very frustrating when you have things to do at work, and can't get there because of some miserable, inconsiderate moron. At least it's something they can only do once.
I guess that depends on whether you'd rather be at work or at home. The old live to work or work to live question.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
We had a co-worker at my old job who did this. He was only 25 and an only child. He got drunk at our office party and was saying things out of his character. I had already left when the situation got out of hand. They took his keys offered to drive him home etc... it got so bad that 3 guys from the office had to restrain him. They called him a cab he was dropped off at this bar by the Baldwin train station and proceeded to have 2 more drinks. The bartender should have known he was drunk and refuse to serve him. The point is he got on the train platform and was going to go one stop and then walk home, instead he jumped and the train hit him. This was in 2003. I still remember how I felt.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 AM

163 posts, read 246,007 times
It's a fairly well known "secret" that there's a suicide on the NYC subway every two weeks on average. In fact, most times one hears that a subway train is being held due to a customer illness, that's code for suicide.

I think the frequency for the railroads (LIRR and Metro North) is not that different.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM

510 posts, read 900,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time to Relocate View Post
It's frustrating either way if you're on a train that strikes a person. It's one of the problems with the LIRR, and probably other railroads.
suicide by train happens all over the country, you just don't hear about it. Many are on freight railroads with no passengers, some with Amtrak. You have the ones that step out in front of the train, and you have the ones that are in their car and wait for the train and then pull out in front of them. 50 mph freight trains vs cars or people.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,884 times
well you could move to the South Shore. The Babylon line is above street level

Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 AM

355 posts, read 390,635 times
RIP. I'm so sorry someone lost a love one, especially in this manner.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,955 times
Trains delayed when pedestrian killed on LIRR track near Patchogue - Newsday

Trains don't kill people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island