Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:36 AM

25 posts, read 121,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
Whats the difference between south setauket and centereach?I was on strathmore village road and the area was nice.
I could be wrong, but I believe the difference is school district. Most of Centereach is Middle Country School district. The area that is called South Setauket (but shares the same zip code as Centereach) is Three Village School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times
its called south setauket cause levitt promised 3 village school district to south setauket park when being built in the late 60's. i think its just an identity thing. they want to be separate from centereach/selden area and middle country s.d. i live in the development but always use centereach in my address. its less confusing. my parents live a few blocks away from me in the holiday park drive area. they bought their house new in 1965. the area was known as selden then , but it was later changed to centereach because the p.o. had trouble finishing their routes. i think some of south setauket is technically selden. especially when you see the phone numbers assigned to some of the area, 451, 698, 736, all selden/coram exchanges

Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild34 View Post
its called south setauket cause levitt promised 3 village school district to south setauket park when being built in the late 60's. i think its just an identity thing. they want to be separate from centereach/selden area and middle country s.d. i live in the development but always use centereach in my address. its less confusing. my parents live a few blocks away from me in the holiday park drive area. they bought their house new in 1965. the area was known as selden then , but it was later changed to centereach because the p.o. had trouble finishing their routes. i think some of south setauket is technically selden. especially when you see the phone numbers assigned to some of the area, 451, 698, 736, all selden/coram exchanges
Exchanges have nothing to do with where you live. They are associated with what central office you are fed from the phone company.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathchild34 View Post
1) Not all of South Setauket attends 3V
2) The developers fought to call the area South Setauket to make it more desirable.
3) The PO doesn't swap routes willy-nilly, nor can it just change an area's name. What you are describing sound more like changes too boundaries when ZIP codes were introduced.
4) What might once have been traditional exchanges, they no longer identify an area.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
South Setauket is part of the Three Village School District hence you pay taxes to and your children attend Three Village Schools. It is also serviced by Setauket fire and rescue. The only thing Centereach is the postal service.

This discussion has been going on forever, call it what you will but at the end of the day the important thing is the school district. Most people buy a home for the school district not the post office.

Home Depot on Pond Path is South Setauket, Jeffersons Ferry on Wireless Rd. is South Setauket, Atria Assisted Living on Rte. 347 is South Setauket. And the million dollar houses in between are South Setauket

Also, check the maps you will find South Setauket

Last edited by Madison3326; 12-02-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison3326 View Post
South Setauket is part of the Three Village School District hence you pay taxes to and your children attend Three Village Schools. It is also serviced by Setauket fire and rescue. The only thing Centereach is the postal service.

This discussion has been going on forever, call it what you will but at the end of the day the important thing is the school district. Most people buy a home for the school district not the post office.

Home Depot on Pond Path is South Setauket, Jeffersons Ferry on Wireless Rd. is South Setauket, Atria Assisted Living on Rte. 347 is South Setauket. And the million dollar houses in between are South Setauket

I have never lived in the area but I have seen the name "South Setauket" on maps before including county and state conservation maps (there is protected land in South Setauket). My understanding is that South Setauket is at least the area of Setauket that is north of Rte. 347 and possibly north to the hills near Sheep Pasture Road so I am not sure why people on this thread were insisting that area is part of Centereach.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have never lived in the area but I have seen the name "South Setauket" on maps before including county and state conservation maps (there is protected land in South Setauket). My understanding is that South Setauket is at least the area of Setauket that is north of Rte. 347 and possibly north to the hills near Sheep Pasture Road so I am not sure why people on this thread were insisting that area is part of Centereach.
No, that is incorrect. South Setauket is south of 347. The area north of 347 is Setauket and East Setauket (same zip code).

Old 12-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison3326 View Post

Call it what you will, but at the end of the day the house is still in South Setauket, NY 11720 aka Centereach, NY 11720. There are no million dollar homes in that area. Perhaps someone was crazy enough to pay that before the bubble burst, but not today. For $1 million, one could have a home across 347 in a private gated community -- Three Village Club in East Setauket, NY 11733 -- and still have money left over.

FWIW Small portions of South Setauket are not in 3V. Buyers are best to check with the school district. The areas to east of Strathmore Village drive have some streets which are bisected by the school district boundaries.

While people with (or planning to have) children will buy into a school district, some people also tend to be concerned with image. Saying one lives in Three Village sounds better than Centereach or South Setauket. Images of South Setauket with it's box stores interspersed among apartments, modest homes, and 15 year-old cookie cutter McMansions aren't what pops into someone's head when they hear Three Village.

Historically, the area near where Nassakeag School stands (Vicinity of Pond and Upper Sheep Pasture) was considered South Setauket.

If anything, the area named South Setauket by developers was once a part of New Village which became Centereach early in the 1900's because a town upstate already had that name. If you look at the map I am linking, take note of District No 3. The S lies directly on Pond Path. Follow that down to the fork. Looking at the map, Pond bears to the left and what we know as Mark Tree bears right. The dotted district line is approximately where Route 347 is located today. The map isn't aligned. District No 11 should be immediately under No 3, but one can easily tell how they should align. Did you notice that there is NO South Setauket?

http://bklyn-genealogy-info.stevemor...rkhaven.1.html

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 12-02-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The conservation area north of 347 south of Upper Sheep Pasture and around Belle Meade Rd is called South Setauket Woods situated in Setauket, NY 11733. This is not the issue on threads such as this one.

The housing developments that are south of 347 and have the Centereach 11720 zip code are what is being discussed. It had been part of Centereach, aka New Village, aka West Middle Island. (West Middle Island referring to the fact that it was in the middle of Long Island.)

Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
No, that is incorrect. South Setauket is south of 347. The area north of 347 is Setauket and East Setauket (same zip code).
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The conservation area north of 347 south of Upper Sheep Pasture and around Belle Meade Rd is called South Setauket Woods situated in Setauket, NY 11733. This is not the issue on threads such as this one.

The housing developments that are south of 347 and have the Centereach 11720 zip code are what is being discussed. It had been part of Centereach, aka New Village, aka West Middle Island. (West Middle Island referring to the fact that it was in the middle of Long Island.)
Skeeter, there is State and County land north of 347 called the South Setauket Conservation Area as OhBeeHave says. That zip code includes Old Field and Poquott in addition to the Setaukets.

Regarding south of 347, people seem to be using the Three Village school boundary to determine their community instead of the Centereach zip code. Historically "New Village" (Centereach) was down by Middle Country Road. So it possible the Centereach zip code could have be seen as completely made up by people in the "South Setauket" area along 347 who continued to regard themselves as in the Setauket area. Or it is possible that it is just that the name South Setauket seems more prestigious then Centereach.

It seems to me the key to the question is how long the name South Setauket has been around. If it goes back to the 1800s or earlier then it is a traditional name for the area. If not, it is more likely to be a prestige thing as others have said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island