Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:29 AM

89 posts, read 132,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
What a bunch of hocus that some dishonest contractors will spew.
Not hocus pocus my friend... Just facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 02:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,865,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
Not hocus pocus my friend... Just facts.
Why is < $2 tile not worth installing exactly?

Old 12-06-2014, 03:41 PM

201 posts, read 332,708 times
Quote:
Between $3-$5 psf is average for a tile. Obviously some clients spend even more but $3-$5 is typical.
Almost any tile that is under $2psf is not even worth paying labor to install...

Most bath fixtures bought at a really cheap price are cheap for a reason... They don't have the same integral parts as the more expensive fixtures. Hence why they deteriorate and break.

Like all things in life you get what you pay for....

As for the OP.. Sounds like maybe you should just lower your price or try to do a small update instead of a complete renovation. Maybe post a picture of your bathroom and we could give you some suggestions.
Maybe some new tile, a vanity, and some paint will be enough to give your bathroom a fresh look.
Your tile prices are biased and a bit high. Your right though you do get what you pay for, which is what you want.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
I disagree that inexpensive tile isn't worth installing. Inexpensive ceramic tile can perform just as well as expensive ceramic tile. I've installed 99 cent tile that performed and looked great. It was cheap because fashions had changed and the design was no longer "in".

However, on fixtures you usually get what you pay for.
you said it all.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Why is < $2 tile not worth installing exactly?
I thought you comment was regarding my comment below...

"Most bath fixtures bought at a really cheap price are cheap for a reason... They don't have the same integral parts as the more expensive fixtures. Hence why they deteriorate and break." This is not just some "hocus", it is the truth...

Old 12-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Your tile prices are biased and a bit high. Your right though you do get what you pay for, which is what you want.
Why are my tile prices biased? Most of the contractors I work with install owner supplied tile. Most of the tile the owner's choose cost between $3-$5. Yes, sometimes clients get a good deal because of fashion trends or sales but most people buy tile in that range.

I guess I can't speak for all of Long Island but South Shore Nassau seems to have this price range. Then again, most of these client's are spending 13k-16k on the bathroom job so maybe tile prices are just relative to the client and job cost.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Why are my tile prices biased? Most of the contractors I work with install owner supplied tile. Most of the tile the owner's choose cost between $3-$5. Yes, sometimes clients get a good deal because of fashion trends or sales but most people buy tile in that range.

I guess I can't speak for all of Long Island but South Shore Nassau seems to have this price range. Then again, most of these client's are spending 13k-16k on the bathroom job so maybe tile prices are just relative to the client and job cost.
if you can charge 16k a job your grossing at least 9k. Not a bad weeks work. 3 to 5 bucks a sq is a rip off. The customers you get just don't know any better. I do my own work.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
if you can charge 16k a job your grossing at least 9k. Not a bad weeks work. 3 to 5 bucks a sq is a rip off. The customers you get just don't know any better. I do my own work.

It is great you can do work on your own. Being handy is excellent. It can save you a ton of money.. However, I think you are confused about how a construction business works. No on is grossing 9k on a bathroom.

I work with 4 contractors who all have similar overheads. This is what the break down looks like. Hate to break it to you guys but most long island contractors / subcontractors are not thieves. They just have high over head. Just how your cost of living is high, their cost of operating a legitimate business is high...

Typical Bathroom Price: $11,500 (Includes installing owner supplied Items)

In House Labor: $6,500 - $7,500 (payroll plus overhead)
Electrician Bill: $300 - $500
Plumber Bill: $1,800 - $2,200
Construction Materials:$300 - $400

By the time the contractor is done the project cost 9k-10k. This includes buying the construction materials, paying the subcontractors, and using legal, insured labor.

Then the owner spend any price they want on bath fixtures, vanities, and tile. Typically this price is 3k-5k. The contractor does not make money on this.

All said and done the project can cost between 13k-16k. After 5 days of work.. The contractor typically makes 1k-2k profit.....

That my friends, is the real world....

Yes Yes Yes, you can overlap labor and have two jobs or more going on at the same. This will decrease your labor on the bathroom job and help you make more on that particular job but, is it will increase your overall payroll and insurance cost. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Trust me, no one is making 9k on a bathroom unless it is a one man show who is doing everything himself and is not licensed / insured.

None of these post are meant to be rude or mean, just trying to show the whole picture.

Last edited by longislandesign; 12-07-2014 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 08:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,865,820 times
Quote:
The customers you get just don't know any better.
I think this is what it comes down to. Either they don't know or don't care enough to save themself some coin. As for fixtures, plastic pieces may deteriorate, but it may take 20 years to do so. I think by then it's time for a new project anyway. And nothing guarantees the more expensive part won't break either. Sometimes it's just not worth the extra cost - so yes - people should do their homework rather than just go with the flow.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I think this is what it comes down to. Either they don't know or don't care enough to save themself some coin. As for fixtures, plastic pieces may deteriorate, but it may take 20 years to do so. I think by then it's time for a new project anyway. And nothing guarantees the more expensive part won't break either. Sometimes it's just not worth the extra cost - so yes - people should do their homework rather than just go with the flow.
This honestly isn't even worth arguing because sincerely, I don't think you guys know what your talking about. Not even trying to be disrespectful but you have no idea. Some of the comment's on this website are so outrageous it's hilarious.

The last thing I would do is go on a forum about law, accounting, or automotive and spew garbage about someone's trade because I read a few online articles... Just because you can hang a door, or install some tile on a wall during the weekend does not mean you are

A) A contractor
B) Mechanically inclined
C) A Small business owner

What it mean's is you are handy and a well rounded person. Just because I can change my oil doesn't mean I am a mechanic.

I know what I know and I don't pretend to know what I don't. I know construction, small business, and architecture... It seems that this whole city data thig is a collection of people chiming in about things they don't know about.

I'm done with city data forum stuff. Good luck trolling around online boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island