Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 08:37 AM

413 posts, read 599,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
Mr.Malakalot you are so wrong that I really can't waste time talking to you anymore. If you were in the business for a bit just ask some of your friends, they will agree with me.

I'm talking about a typical bathroom 5'x7'. No one is talking out of their tush.. You honestly just sound like an uneducated ass.

Obviously you are just a washed up day laborer who doesn't know what they are talking about

For the record, me and Malakalittle hate each other's guts and never agree....and I think he's making perfect sense. $7500 labor to renovate a 5x7 bathroom?!?! Who's doing the tiling, Michelangelo?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 08:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
first of all I never made a nasty remark or cursed at you. I just finnished a 5x7 in which I gutted the room removed one electric receptical re did the waste plumbing for the tiolet , flange to the main waste line and sink, re sheet rocked, wonder board, tape, spakle tile custom sponge paint new vanity and tiolet. I was able to save the cast iron tub but did repair some deep scratches in the enameal. in short I did a complete remodel. the total cost was 3200. Yes the vanity, toilet and tile was purchased at home depot. Thats what they wanted. My mark ups my buisness. oh by the way I worked alone and it took me six days because I had to wait for the mud to dry.

If you so right, why are you so worried that your leaving these full page excues for your post?

Personally I wouldn't get involved with anyone like you in a conctruction venture. Good Day sir.
Considering the fact that you didn't know cast iron radiators worked with hot water leads me to believe you are not a reputable contractor. It's people like you who ruin the reputation of contractors everywhere. Either you are a young kid getting your feet wet or you came from a foreign land where 3200$ for a bath remodel is doable. In NY six days paid for a lead man is almost 2k. Doesn't leave much room left.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:55 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
For the record, me and Malakalittle hate each other's guts and never agree....and I think he's making perfect sense. $7500 labor to renovate a 5x7 bathroom?!?! Who's doing the tiling, Michelangelo?!
Most tile sub contractors charge around 1500 for what LI design quoted. Half wall and entire shower area. A carpenter who does tile work on the side isn't the same quality job. Also most of these shoe makers use wonder board on floor instead of a mud job.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM

89 posts, read 133,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Considering the fact that you didn't know cast iron radiators worked with hot water leads me to believe you are not a reputable contractor. It's people like you who ruin the reputation of contractors everywhere. Either you are a young kid getting your feet wet or you came from a foreign land where 3200$ for a bath remodel is doable. In NY six days paid for a lead man is almost 2k. Doesn't leave much room left.
I don't know how to end this conversation except by saying that I'm not lying and that I guess people have different payrolls and overheads.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Agreed

Old 12-12-2014, 10:29 AM

201 posts, read 333,182 times
Quote:
In the post your referring to I asked if the radiator was steam or hot water. Since both went out of style about 50 years ago I admit I am not an expert on either system of heating. That has nothing to do with remodeling a bathroom. I never claimed to know everything about everything. Sorry if i disagreed with your friend.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Most tile sub contractors charge around 1500 for what LI design quoted. Half wall and entire shower area. A carpenter who does tile work on the side isn't the same quality job. Also most of these shoe makers use wonder board on floor instead of a mud job.
why would you use a mud job if you had a solid sub floor and correct instalation of wonderboard? I've done my share of mud jobs its not necessary or a better way to do it. It is a bunch of extra labor which equals extra money. Even LI design would have to agree with this. I gotta laugh at your remark about a carpernter doing tile work. I guess were you come from tile men are born with a margin trowel in their hand.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
why would you use a mud job if you had a solid sub floor and correct instalation of wonderboard? I've done my share of mud jobs its not necessary or a better way to do it. It is a bunch of extra labor which equals extra money. Even LI design would have to agree with this. I gotta laugh at your remark about a carpernter doing tile work. I guess were you come from tile men are born with a margin trowel in their hand.
Always do a mudjob on a wood framed floor. This prevents any cracking and is the best way to guarantee a level floor.

If you are working on a slab yes you can skip it to save labor/time.

This is just my opinion. Done with the fighting, obviously everyone has their own opinion.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
"Professional"

I remember some thread earlier about digging a basement where you started offering some of your professional advice. But I guess that was too complicated for an architect who's been a GC to help out on info.

$16,000 bathrooms. That's your professional specialty. Or is it $5 tiles?

If you really were profiting 2K on a 16K bathroom, smart move on switching professions and becoming an architect. Just hope all those pencil sharpeners and erasers isn't hurting the bottom line by making those 16K drawings to only profit 2K.
Hahah, I'm new to this whole city data thing my friend. To be honest, I don't even know how to refind the threads I've posted on. I've only been able to keep up with thread because it is always at the top of the list because someone is commenting.

No one is making 16k drawings, no need to be rude.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandesign View Post
Always do a mudjob on a wood framed floor. This prevents any cracking and is the best way to guarantee a level floor.

If you are working on a slab yes you can skip it to save labor/time.

This is just my opinion. Done with the fighting, obviously everyone has their own opinion.
I'm not arguing, but you don't want to do a mud job on a tounge and groove subfloor. plywood ok but if your sub floors not solid your grout will crack, which I'm sure you know. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island