Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

322 posts, read 937,733 times

Advertisements

I often drive out to Orient Point to take the ferry over to CT. During the drive I see so many nice houses and neighborhoods but I have to wonder: why live so far from everything?
I grew up in Nassau county so once the island starts looking a bit rural like in Long Island wine country, it seems so odd to think people would want to live there year round. You're literally hours from an airport, NYC, or just travelling out of state (w/ the exception of CT - ferry). Other than employment, retirement, or an extreme desire for quiet and seclusion, I really can't fathom wanting to buy a house along one the forks let alone the east points (Montauk or Orient).
For anyone who does live and not just vacation rents in these areas, what made you want to live there? This is more for sheer curiosity than an interest in buying a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Live west its a quicker escape as far as NYC i could care less but if thats your thing thats your thing.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
We have friends who bought out there meaning for it to be a summer house; other abode was an apt in NYC, economy goes into crapper now it's the year round house.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM

155 posts, read 426,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
Other than employment, retirement, or an extreme desire for quiet and seclusion
Assuming you are talking about the North Fork specifically, these are probably the most valid reasons, outside of being like Paul Giamatti in the movie Sideways.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
I often drive out to Orient Point to take the ferry over to CT. During the drive I see so many nice houses and neighborhoods but I have to wonder: why live so far from everything?
I grew up in Nassau county so once the island starts looking a bit rural like in Long Island wine country, it seems so odd to think people would want to live there year round. You're literally hours from an airport, NYC, or just travelling out of state (w/ the exception of CT - ferry). Other than employment, retirement, or an extreme desire for quiet and seclusion, I really can't fathom wanting to buy a house along one the forks let alone the east points (Montauk or Orient).
For anyone who does live and not just vacation rents in these areas, what made you want to live there? This is more for sheer curiosity than an interest in buying a house.

... seriously? either fork is 10 times nicer than the rest of the Island. I think the real question is why WOULDN'T you want to live there if you had the money.

I would in a heartbeat live in Orient. The further away - the better. It's aboslutely beautiful out there.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I would love to live way out there away from everyone, peace and quiet is my thing. Though I love to go to NYC once a year I wouldn't mind 10 acres with no neighbors around.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I would love to live way out there away from everyone, peace and quiet is my thing. Though I love to go to NYC once a year I wouldn't mind 10 acres with no neighbors around.
Yea but this is long island the only way it would stay that way is if you bought all the land around it so nobody can build.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:22 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Yea but this is long island the only way it would stay that way is if you bought all the land around it so nobody can build.
Not true - a lot of the east end is protected and building/developing is no longer allowed.

Manorville for an example. Most of the land is protected pine barrens. It still looks like upstate over there. Calverton? there is barely a gas station. Why do you insist that the entire Island is developed when it is not.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
My ex boss had 48 acres in Wyoming with a house on it....you'll never find that here on LI.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Pros: quiet, more open space, less people
cons: not as much to do, fewer shopping options, tourists mess it up during summer.

It's basically a more rural experience that is ruined somewhat during summer months by tourist traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island