Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:28 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any personal experience with a company that gets squirrels out of the house? I paid someone $500 already who caught 5 squirrels. They were getting in through the attic fan on the roof. He set traps on the roof and caught a few, including a baby. Then he caught one inside the attic with a trap (another baby). A week went by and heard nothing, except for one day when I did hear something. The guy came back and looked at the trap where I heard the noise and it was still empty with Peanut Butter in it. He took his trap and then put a cover on the attic fan.

An entire month went by without any noise and then the other day, I heard loud rustling over my laundry room ceiling (a lower level than the attic). So, either that one has been laying dormant for a few weeks or more are getting in. We cannot see where they would be getting in from. I just called a company and was told it would be $800 to come to the house every day for two weeks to set and check traps and try to follow a trail to where they go.

Anyone have any luck with these companies, and how much did you wind up paying? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^ Do you feel comfortable getting your own traps and setting them? Its really not hard and will save you money.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM

My problem is that I don't think putting them on the roof helps. How do I know that every squirrel in the neighborhood isnt coming up for Peanut butter and isnt the ones inside my house. I am not comfortable removing them after they get trapped otherwise I would do it. I have a company coming on Saturday for a $50 inspection to see if they see anything obvious where they are coming in. It is a weird problem because we thought we go them all, heard nothing for a month, heard one in one of the ceilings on Saturday and not a peep since. It must be coming and going in and out from somewhere.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Trapping is not your problem.

Find their hole is.

Find it and fix it.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My parents had this problem when I was a kid. They got one of those machines that make a high frequency noise that is irritating to animals. Problem solved. A human could only hear it if they had really good hearing and were right up against the machine.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I have never seen traps put on a roof because there are always squirrels outside. Get some 1/2" hardware cloth (Shop Blue Hawk 24-in x 10-ft Silver Galvanized Steel Hardware Cloth at Lowes.com ). Wear gloves and cut /secure this inside your attic on all the vents both roof and sidewall we used a heavy duty staple gun. Besides squirrels this also ensure bats don't get in the attic.

We had a raccoon break in through our end vent looking for a place to have a litter luckily she left and chose my neighbors attic instead. The hardware cloth is galvanized so it should last the life of your home and they should chew through it.

Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:48 PM

194 posts, read 444,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I have never seen traps put on a roof because there are always squirrels outside. Get some 1/2" hardware cloth (Shop Blue Hawk 24-in x 10-ft Silver Galvanized Steel Hardware Cloth at Lowes.com ). Wear gloves and cut /secure this inside your attic on all the vents both roof and sidewall we used a heavy duty staple gun. Besides squirrels this also ensure bats don't get in the attic.

We had a raccoon break in through our end vent looking for a place to have a litter luckily she left and chose my neighbors attic instead. The hardware cloth is galvanized so it should last the life of your home and they should chew through it.

Good Luck!
No permanent exclusion should be done until you are sure there are no squirrels still inside your home. Either build or buy traps with one way doors and set them at the point(s) of entry. Only after all are gone should the access points be sealed.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I agree with setting the traps but I think you should stop the intrusions points or it can turn into a revolving door.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:02 PM

194 posts, read 444,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I agree with setting the traps but I think you should stop the intrusions points or it can turn into a revolving door.
If the entry points are sealed while they are still in the house 1) more damage is done as they seek to create alternate escape routes and 2) they will ultimately die somewhere inside creating a most unpleasant odor.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:17 PM

That is why I don't want to seal off the side vents that are 22 feet high. That is the only place I can imagine them getting in or out. I definitely don't want them to die in the house, which is why I won't put poison in the attic like so many people have suggested. I want to find out exactly where they are coming in and then make sure the are gone. At hat point,I will seal off the entrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island