Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 AM
KTO

5 posts, read 28,925 times

Advertisements

Jessi521,

It sounds like you might want to move to NC, like the other disenchanted NewYorkers have done. LI may have an influx of Hispanics living in LI, according to the Census, but there are a significant amount of undocumented migrant workers as well, also heightening the already volatile racial tensions.

I'm in no way judging you, as everyone has a right to live wherever, but if you are sick of LI because the people rub you the wrong way, you might be dissapointed wherever you go.

There are NY transplants in pretty much every state, and the ones that left NY to escape the turbulence and sordidity that is NY, do find some modicum of relief, and that would be the "heartland of america".

Any predominately red state; i.e Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky is where its at for former white urbanites that have had enough. That's where the new white flight discourse seems to headed; maybe its all for the best? Sad isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,647,375 times
I would say move to NE Queens.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 34,725 times
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I'm begging you not to type cast Queens as not safe. That is non sense. THey have watched too many movies or something. Queens in the most diverse county in the nation!!! It's wonderful. It's all about the nighborhood. Of course you don't want to move to Southside Jamaica, but Woodhaven, Richmond Hill, Forest Hills, Forest Park, and I can go on are absolutely wonderful. Maybe you're thinking of Brooklyn. I live in Woodhaven. Really diverse, Irish, Italian, Dominican, Black. It's not about race here but being part of a great neighborhood. It's living in a big city with a small town feel. DON't get fooled by LI. There is SO MUCH racism there. With your diverse family look into Queens. The balck areas of LI are bad and the white are racist. Do not get fooled. MOst whites in LI left NYC because of minorities. So that sums it up. You can easily find great negihborhoods in Queens. Not to mention home prices are not that much different. Queens may be cheaper. ANd you're getting a full life expereince. Not hiding in LI.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,893,288 times
wow, i am so glad to be reading about this. I have lived in NY and Pa and RI for the last 16 years, with stints on the west coast, canada and central america. But I am from the South(Texas, SC, Miss and Florida). I have explained to people far and wide that racism is just as bad in the liberal North as it is in the deepest south. I have written articles for papers and magazines about how the north is not the promised land it is in mythical legend and that black professionals are leaving in exodus from northern areas to the south-atl, birmingham, florida, SC and NC from NY and Boston, Phila and Detroit.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:03 PM
KTO

5 posts, read 28,925 times
carolinajack,

You are right in a sense that the North does harbor racism, but the diversity there is such that for someone like me, I could reasonably fit in and still feel more at ease, whereas the South is just too predominately homogenous and a whole lot more phony about their intentions.

The difference is people up North know they are racist but couldn't care less- too busy circumventing the rat race; while the people down South do not neccesarily believe they are prejudice and since they all happen to be "good Christians", under God's eyes, they ain't doin nuthin wrong!

In the South, if you aint black or white, then you are really in the minority. I've briefly lived and visited down South, and felt the people there either treat me with pure disdain or as a sideshow oddity. At least up North, I know where I stand.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM

actually your second paragraph is backwards. Northerners think they are not racist but still most whites marry and date whites, live among whites as do blacks and other races.

in the south, they are racist but they at least admit it, they dont beat around the bush. I have lived in both areas and not briefly, and as a black person, it is more uncomfortable among northern whites who you think are liberal minded but dont want you living near them or dating their daughters. But they swear they are not racist (Ex. Seinfeld's Kramer is the best example of whites in the North. They pretend to be non racist until you scratch the surface)

other minorities in the north get treated better in the north than blacks because many try and avoid being considered a person of color and want to be more white and accepted by whites.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,647,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
actually your second paragraph is backwards. Northerners think they are not racist but still most whites marry and date whites, live among whites as do blacks and other races.

in the south, they are racist but they at least admit it, they dont beat around the bush. I have lived in both areas and not briefly, and as a black person, it is more uncomfortable among northern whites who you think are liberal minded but dont want you living near them or dating their daughters. But they swear they are not racist (Ex. Seinfeld's Kramer is the best example of whites in the North. They pretend to be non racist until you scratch the surface)

other minorities in the north get treated better in the north than blacks because many try and avoid being considered a person of color and want to be more white and accepted by whites.
Um, yeah. First thing, Kramer is not real and does not live in NY like in the sitcom.

That being said, I'm not sure about the South, but I do know that up North black people hang with black people and date black people just as much as whites do. So what? Would all people living together under God really make life that much better?

As far as other minorities being accepted more b/c they act white is nonsense. They is a chance of being more accepted if they work hard, keep their homes nice, and act like normal people. As far as I know, all the Asians, Hispanic, Arabs, etc. that live her are certainly not trying to act white.

Not sure how long of where you lived up North, but I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,787,563 times
There is a lot of segregation in northeastern cities such as NYC, Newark and Philly. These are some of the most segregated cities in the country.

Racism is found everywhere in this country.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks Hustla,

I have been living up north for 18 years now, and have lived in new york, new england, and pennsylvania. The segregation of races is palpable and real here. Kramer is not real but Michael Richards is real and that who i was talking about.

The racial tension in Philly, New York and Boston is as bad or worse than in most places in the South(I lived there for 21 years). The N word is used just as often, the interracial dating is not as prevalent as you would think it would be in the so called open minded Northeast. It can be very very hostile to people of different backgrounds.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:27 AM

4,385 posts, read 5,113,742 times
So let's get down to the practical. What towns on long island would be considered more "inviting". I read a NYT article about a BM/WF couple who where also "searching" for a more comfortable place. They tried out the five towns in Nassau, but the woman said they got to many looks. So settled on a small island community called Long Beach and almost right away loved it. It's funny because I thought the working class south shore would be less hospitable than the "cultured, enlightened liberals on the north shore". But I'm sure there are places on the northshore that would be open. My guesses: Great Neck, Port Washington, Oyster Bay, Syosset, and if you can believe it Northport, because another mixed couple had an article about moving there from Montclair, NJ (of course Montclair is known as Utopic nirvana for mixed couples), because of the schools, and in the end even though Northport is 97% white they where fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island