Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:07 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times

Advertisements

Try Valley Stream. Its on the Long Island Queens border. Very good mix. Lots of indians,blacks,hispanics,and whites. Many races in school interdate. Not racist at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 01:08 PM

34 posts, read 164,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNY View Post
Hello, I'm white and my wife is black and we may be moving to Queens. I hear it's not too safe there, and was thinking of moving a little further out on Long Island, but it seems there are very few black folks out there. Is there a lot of racism on LI. Any advice? Thanks.
If you are going to be working in the St. John's area try Jamaica/Jamaica Estates area (zip code 11432). It is the most racially diverse area that I have ever seen. There are blacks,whites, asians, Indians and people from many countrys around the world. The best thing is that it is right down the street from St. John's (a short bus ride or even shorter car ride).

Old 12-23-2006, 06:30 AM

18 posts, read 81,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
.... Northerners think they are not racist but still most whites marry and date whites, live among whites as do blacks and other races.
As a white person, if I marry another white person- I'm a racist? Then so are the Blacks, the Chinese, the Jews and even the Italians that choose to marry someone like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
.... I have lived in both areas and not briefly, and as a black person, it is more uncomfortable among northern whites who you think are liberal minded but dont want you living near them or dating their daughters. But they swear they are not racist (Ex. Seinfeld's Kramer is the best example of whites in the North. They pretend to be non racist until you scratch the surface)
And as a white if I lived in a mostly black neighborhood, or even hispanic, jewish, italian etc- I'd also feel uncomfortable.

As far as marrying my daughters- well the first one that brought home a black guy was given a hard time- I'll give you that- but it was only because as a PERSON he was bad news. He had absolutely no manners and was cheating on my daughter left and right. Balck or white- he would not have lasted long. The second daughter married one- he's a very nice guy and is more than welcomed in our family. He has a record and did some jail time, but as a person- he's a great guy and trying. The third also brought one home and like the first, he was bad news and was finally gone when we got an order of protection against him. At only 15 years old, he stalked my daughter after she broke up with him for yes- once again- cheating.

The son-in-law is not accepted because he's a black man trying to act white. That's just an ignorant statement. He has a job and takes care of his family. I hardly ever see him wear sweaters and has never been golfing in all his life.

My point? Look at your characteristics before you look at the color of your skin. I do, my family does, my neighbors do and more people than you think do. If you look at the color of your skin, or mine for that matter- then you my friend are the racist!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM

11 posts, read 53,036 times
Default thinking of moving futher out on long island

Quote:
Hello, I'm white and my wife is black and we may be moving to Queens. I hear it's not too safe there, and was thinking of moving a little further out on Long Island, but it seems there are very few black folks out there. Is there a lot of racism on LI. Any advice? Thanks.
Hi hello Ny,
I am black and my husband is white. we live in selden,Ny out in suffolk county. We've lived here for about 10 yrs. Although there are not a lot of black folks out here, my husband and I feel very comfortable and have never had any run ins with racist(blatant anyway). We also have a little boy and a baby on the way. If you dont mind braving the traffic & commuting an hour by car or train into queens for work, you might find it very nice out here. The school's here excellent as well. Look into it.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 PM

259 posts, read 939,098 times
Default Get Hold of Yourself

Quote:
Get a hold of yourself. If you go around with an attitude like yours. That is, looking for or expecting trouble. Then You are going to find trouble!!!

Yes I was born and raised in Queens. 40 years ago I lived on 164st across from the old Macy's (Jamaica). About that time I moved to the North Queens Village (South Bayside) area where the Clearview terminates at Hillside ave. 30 years ago I moved to Long Island and I've seen the areas begin to Deterorate again.

Does Anybody know why? well I'll tell ya. All those so-called bad Black areas, where you are afraid to go into, are all Racist areas. They are not neighbohoods. But Hood's where the People are permitted to hate white people. And the People there refuse to accept responsibility, responsibility, responsibility for their own foolish actions.

Most of the people who live in them have criminal records. They have a high out-of-wed birth rate. The children join gangs. And do not take pride in their school work. Or maintanance of their homes schools, play grounds etc.

The people who live in these Hoods (bad black areas) have a habit of crying wolf (Racism) everytime you turn around because the Media and politicians are weak feckless and incompetant. Nobody stands up to correct these cry wolf creatures. They cannot be people!!! Both White and Non-white. etc etc. I can go pointing out more facts forever.

Just because you married a person of another background than yourself does not mean that you are not Racist!!!! You could be racist yourself, against that race or your own or both. So wise the heck up already.

Whites have been discriminated against with racial intergration. Standards were lowered in schools in employment in municipal services to benefit so-called people of color. Black is not a color neither is white check out color spectum. Whites were forced to move and the communities which were no longer white suffered the economic loss of white diversity.. Get it Get it wise up.

You will have to move to places on your own. And by trial and error you will find the neighborhood whatever color that will be suitable for you your wife and your children.

Good luck...

Last edited by Dee62; 02-21-2007 at 11:59 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 AM

63 posts, read 218,473 times
The people here are pretty racist but not too bold about it. You always here about swastikas being spray painted and property damaged etc.. But not anything much more serious besides those day laborers being beat almost to death a couple years ago.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 52,085 times
Hi, HelloNY!

I recently started a similar thread to this one b/c I have the same concerns as you and your wife. I received great feedback and learned stuff I didn't know about certain neighborhoods in LI. I'm a little "shocked" at some of the replies posted here-you've got people who've gotten waaay ahead of themselves. How did we get into talking about the South? Who is anyone to state that LI as a whole is racist? I came to these boards seeking info-and I found some, you will too through all this mess. But don't be disheartened by anyones personal, jaded opinions. Be openminded and experience things for yourself. You don't seem to be from NY so I apologize if you are. I don't know every neighborhood in Queens but as some people on this thread put it-you'd be better off living there as far as diversity, that's obvious. You just have to find the right neighborhood and some people on this board can give you insight. Not all the neighborhoods are unsafe!! Try the Newyork, Ny forum instead. Long Island IS a possiblity if you can afford it and think that it's worth it. You should probably visit and see for yourself esp if you're not from NY. I may be moving to LI and I'm sad to say that I'm not too excited about it, in fact, I worry for my bi-racial son. I value diversity and pity/loathe bigoted close minded people. I wish you all the best in your search and hope you find a good neighborhood.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:47 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
hmmm, same as asking about mississippi, good to know its not being swept under the rug that LI doesnt have it too,

Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM

63 posts, read 218,473 times
02/27/07) MILLER PLACE - A Miller Place High School student claims the school district turned a blind eye to racially motivated bullying.

Brian Orr and his family filed a $5 million lawsuit against Miller Place Union Free School District. Orr says the school ignored several racist attacks, which he says were mainly carried out by one individual. Orr says a picture, which shows a curse word and the "N" word written in succession on his locker door, proves his allegation. He says the student that wrote on his locker also sent him computer messages with the "N" word as well as other derogatory words like "monkey." After an altercation with his alleged bully, the school suspended Orr.

Interim Superintendent Dr. Grace Brindley said in a statement the district investigated the matter and believes the lawsuit has no merit. The Orr family, who moved to Miller Place for its schools three years ago, says they've had enough and will move to Virginia.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=190536

Old 02-27-2007, 04:51 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Come on anyone that has lived on Long Island knows it is the most segregated place on earth. Someone recently compared it to almost South African. These people from Miller Place are not the only ones to flee in fear, a family from Nesconset two years ago had their house set on fie also, just because they were black, they went to North Carolina. A mailbox was recently blown up in Lake Grove the couple were either black or mixed race family. We all alos know that there is white trash too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island