Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times

Advertisements

I was surprised by how many stay at home moms there still are. My wife and I know a ton. GC is loaded with them it seems. It's nice, she has a lot of friends to hang out with during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Unfortunately the answer is YES>. unless the husband by himself can bring in over $100K in income. .. Maybe they can get by on less..but anything less than $85K forget it!!!
As for daycare.. depends on what kind of work the wife does. Becasue if she makes only 30 - 40K a year to do admin work, then it's not worth going into the workplace with the cost of daycare (upwards of $400 a week!! for ONE child) so that doesn't leave much income to really contribute the the high cost of living here. Yeah.. when kids are school age it may be easier.

It's sad that most kids are in daycare rather than being at home with their mommies etc. But it's neccesary in order to survive on LI for the middle income family.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 29,314 times
slynn~ I'm in a similar position, can't afford to buy on LI, and we just checked out Raleigh. Any areas to avoid? I'm a teacher, so I'm sure there will be work for me there, what with all the building. How does it compare to LI? Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 PM

I would avoid most of NC...but that's just me.

Also, not many people I know have their kids in daycare...mom's home.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would avoid most of NC...but that's just me.

Also, not many people I know have their kids in daycare...mom's home.

Before you respond..you should read what a lot of people are saying. It is possible for one person to stay home IF the husband is making min of $85K (to struggle) and above. But not everyone has a high paying position that can afford one parent to stay home with their kids. You're lucky.. but most people arent that lucky.

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Before you respond..you should read what a lot of people are saying. It is possible for one person to stay home IF the husband is making min of $85K (to struggle) and above. But not everyone has a high paying position that can afford one parent to stay home with their kids. You're lucky.. but most people arent that lucky.
I know, I'm just saying what I've been experiencing on LI. That's all.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwas View Post
slynn~ I'm in a similar position, can't afford to buy on LI, and we just checked out Raleigh. Any areas to avoid? I'm a teacher, so I'm sure there will be work for me there, what with all the building. How does it compare to LI? Thanks!
NC is turning out to be a favourite destination for alot of people looking to escape the squeeze on LI. Check out the North Carolina forum. Alot of happy NY transplants down there. Teachers always in demand, lower salaries but lower cost of living to offset the lower pay.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:50 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times

I am in Cary, which I think is most like LI, without the broken down strip malls. Everything is maintained VERY well where we are. Home Owner Associations keep everyones homes from turning into the worst home on the block. North Raleigh is also hot right now. You can get a great home in places like Apex and Holly Springs. Most people in Cary are from NY, NJ and Cali. Not to many locals. Let me know a price range and I can give you some neighborhoods to check out online or PM me.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Default Fair enough...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
I don't feel anyone is stupid for staying on LI (Cary resident here). But if you can't pay your bills and are struggling financially and both parents NEED to work while kids are in daycare (and this is not something you are happy with) you do have options, thats all I'm saying.
I understand your point, and to be frank I strongly considered a move to NC when I was looking at a move out of the city but to be honest, the tone of your above quote (balanced perspective, observational) was a LITTLE different than the one that prompted my reply....just in case you forgot I quoted a portion below.

Some highlights :

We get back to LI about once or twice a year (do the city thing, visit family) and we are done. Most of the people who live in our area are from up north and we just shake our heads in disbelief what people are willing to sacrifice to say they live on LI. Sad really. If you are wealthy and can afford it great (I live in a very middle class area), but if you need to work two jobs just to get by, what are you thinking? I would be crying if I had to move back to LI.

Your tone was a tad different in your earlier post...I am sure you can understand my response .

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM

A NC lifer I know at BB&T bank call it the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post

I am in Cary, which I think is most like LI, without the broken down strip malls. Everything is maintained VERY well where we are. Home Owner Associations keep everyones homes from turning into the worst home on the block. North Raleigh is also hot right now. You can get a great home in places like Apex and Holly Springs. Most people in Cary are from NY, NJ and Cali. Not to many locals. Let me know a price range and I can give you some neighborhoods to check out online or PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island