Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM

94 posts, read 221,255 times

Advertisements

Hey all. Looking to give my wife a nice evening out in NYC for a christmas gift. She likes to go to plays/musicals. Anybody have any recommendations on which plays/musicals are getting great reviews right now? Also, any recommendations on restaurants within a reasonable distance of the play/musical?

I am completely lost when it comes to this stuf.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:39 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
While I think it's more than appropriate to ask in the Long Island forum, as many CDLI'ers will probably have a decent answer for you, but they don't frequent the NYC section, this thread will eventually be removed by Nancy or Keeper, as it is not "Long Island Specific".

Old 12-17-2014, 09:43 AM

94 posts, read 221,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
While I think it's more than appropriate to ask in the Long Island forum, as many CDLI'ers will probably have a decent answer for you, but they don't frequent the NYC section, this thread will eventually be removed by Nancy or Keeper, as it is not "Long Island Specific".
Yes, after posting, I realized my mistake. Can't find any option to delete this...?

Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_ss View Post
Hey all. Looking to give my wife a nice evening out in NYC for a christmas gift. She likes to go to plays/musicals. Anybody have any recommendations on which plays/musicals are getting great reviews right now? Also, any recommendations on restaurants within a reasonable distance of the play/musical?

I am completely lost when it comes to this stuf.

Thanks all
Kinky Boots
Lion King for a safe classic.

have fun.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
go to Palm Restaurant in Times Square and see Hugh Jackmans play across the st from restaurant

Old 12-17-2014, 10:39 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
go to Palm Restaurant in Times Square and see Hugh Jackmans play across the st from restaurant
I think this will be my holiday visit.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:00 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Does she prefer a play or a musical? Some people hate musicals, that's why I ask. Something more geared for families like Aladin or Lion King with a lot of visuals or more adult like Kinky Boots or a revival like On the Town? Or something with lower-key visuals and more talking. Need to know her taste. Tearjerkers like Lex Miz and Phantom are still playing too. Do you want recommendations for the ones that have discount tickets?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
In addition to what was suggested above, Jersey Boys was great - the best part was the music.

If you're looking for something a little different and decide not to go to a Broadway show, try Birdland on the West Side in the 50's. It's a jazz club that serves dinner as well. Parking is directly across the street, and Birdland gives out vouchers for a parking discount. Check out their calendar to see what's playing.

Also, another jazz club is Blue Note in the Village, same idea, they serve dinner, etc., but parking cost is astronomically high in the location.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I have seen several plays but one on my list I haven't seen and that's Wicked. Carmine's in the theater district is a nice Italian place to eat, Rosie O Grady's is great too. Other plays to see, Jersey Boys loved it, Kinky boots also on my list to see. Not sure if these plays are still performing but I have seen Rent, Stomp, 42nd street, Chicago, Cabaret is great!!!, Blue man group, phantom of the opera.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:08 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have seen several plays but one on my list I haven't seen and that's Wicked. Carmine's in the theater district is a nice Italian place to eat, Rosie O Grady's is great too. Other plays to see, Jersey Boys loved it, Kinky boots also on my list to see. Not sure if these plays are still performing but I have seen Rent, Stomp, 42nd street, Chicago, Cabaret is great!!!, Blue man group, phantom of the opera.
Alan Cumming is still currently in Cabaret at the Roundabout. There's a revival of Pippin as well and it's easy to get discount tickets for it. Jersey Boys also has discount tickets. Beautiful is also playing but no discounts. But these are all musicals. Maybe she prefers a play? And if you haven't ever seen The Fantastiks that also is still kicking around in a small theater in the theater district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island