Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How long is that ride to the beach from Kansas? How long will it take to get to a Broadway show from Utah? If the things mentioned don't matter to you, fine. Friends and family aren't moving with you either.
Plenty of places off the numerous rivers and lakes in the areas. So depending on where you love and where you want to go. (River tubing FTW if you've never done it). Geographically we also don't have mountains, so we must suck because I can't ski near my home?

Broadway is specific to a single road in NYC, you speak as though there aren't any number of playhouses anywhere else.

My family is all off Long Island for my generation. My Aunt is moving off LI as soon as my cousin is out of the Army and my parents want off as soon as possible. Who am I staying for? Some people want to be close to family, that's fine, but lets be honest: for most people the ONLY reason to stay on the island is family/child care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
It's Newsday - that rag has an agenda and I wouldn't believe this for a second. I don't know a single person who wants any more development on Long Island, much less taller buildings. What Long Island needs is true industry, not more high density development that tacks on minimum wage paying retail.
The long time problem with industry on Long Island is getting raw materials on and getting finished product off. Then there is the cost of land and electricity and you have a really tough time making a profit. Sadly Long Island's industrial days are behind it and it's time to look for new business opportunities.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
All you Long Islanders brag about your schools, you neighborhoods. To me, there isn't no school district anywhere in this country worth $10,000 a year in property taxes for a simple 40x100 property for a single family home. Not when people are leaving in drives, an increasing gang problem, and an influx of illegal aliens who do not ya taxes and put on a drain on whatever tax base you have remaining.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Could people make sure their grammar is correct when discussing the value of schools.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
The long time problem with industry on Long Island is getting raw materials on and getting finished product off. Then there is the cost of land and electricity and you have a really tough time making a profit. Sadly Long Island's industrial days are behind it and it's time to look for new business opportunities.
I remember a while back they wanted to dredge a port for shipping which would have helped. Blocked.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:38 PM

413 posts, read 599,089 times
Taller buildings? Queens? BRING IT ON! Either you're growing or you're dying. That's economics. That is capitalism. There are PLENTY of LIRR downtown/main street areas that can handle EXPLOSIVE density growth and turn LI's economy around without making a dent in the mythical "unique suburban character" we cling to that is actually dying on the vine. Industry? Schools? All decline without ECONOMIC GROWTH. Weed choked former world class facilites and the disappearance of pro sports and industry is NOT GROWTH. It's death. The Nimby's can't croak or move on fast enough.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I remember a while back they wanted to dredge a port for shipping which would have helped. Blocked.
Of course, though I'm not sure if it would have changed Long Island into a manufacturing powerhouse and if it did would that be the Long Island people would want to live on. But a nice port that could take some cargo at least to supply the Island and by-pass the city.

The nice thing about aviation was you could at least fly the finished product off the Island. Radars and produce still had to be trucked.

I think the writing was always on the wall for Long Island industry in that the growth of both NYC and Nassau would just make shipping costs too expensive.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Well like most New Yorkers where do you go if you decide to leave? Cary North Carolina, the place is filled with New Yorkers, it's the New York of the south

Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 PM

136 posts, read 106,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Well like most New Yorkers where do you go if you decide to leave? Cary North Carolina, the place is filled with New Yorkers, it's the New York of the south
Same with Charlotte

Old 12-22-2014, 08:14 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
Why is New York so gut wrenching expensive? And please don't say well if you went to college you wouldn't have a problem because Wall Street is full of degrees and during the financial crisis lots of people no longer had jobs degree or otherwise.

Wife and I both went to school, make good money but looking at Long Island and Manhattan prices unless you earned 600,000 per year there is no way you could live there comfortably without worry. It's not realistic for 90% of the American population.

Still I find New York to be a wonderful state with lots of history and natural beauty. It would seem the closer you get to NYC the more expensive and the further away from NYC it gets less expensive.

New York is so much more then Manhattan and I hope those who come visit take the the time to explore all of what New York has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island