Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we'll have to dial 631 in front of all our local numbers, we already have to dial 1-516 and now we'll have to dial 1-934 as well.

Older seniors are the ones who are going to be confused by all of this. I'll have to reprogram my parents house phone directory as well as my mother's cellphone, besides my house phone and cell. And make sure hubby who is cellphone-challenged (!) gets his changed along with my kids.

Schools will have to reprogram their automated emergency call lists to parents. I'm sure there are other groups who will have to do the same. Just added work.

Life was simpler when everyone had just one house phone, land line that is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
I liked it better when there were fewer area codes, 212 for all of nyc, 516 for the island, 914 for upstate, and 201 for jersey. Also 7 digit dialing was easier.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:40 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Ok, so we'll have to dial 631 in front of all our local numbers, we already have to dial 1-516 and now we'll have to dial 1-934 as well.

Older seniors are the ones who are going to be confused by all of this. I'll have to reprogram my parents house phone directory as well as my mother's cellphone, besides my house phone and cell. And make sure hubby who is cellphone-challenged (!) gets his changed along with my kids.

Schools will have to reprogram their automated emergency call lists to parents. I'm sure there are other groups who will have to do the same. Just added work.

Life was simpler when everyone had just one house phone, land line that is!
I agree with this here post. They should just let the numbers run out so as not to inconvenience lazy employees and senile old bats.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
I liked it better when there were fewer area codes, 212 for all of nyc, 516 for the island, 914 for upstate, and 201 for jersey. Also 7 digit dialing was easier.
Unfortunately, with the amount of phone numbers that each household now has, it is becoming more and more difficult to keep up with the demand for phone numbers. Think of even just 20 years ago. Most people had 1 phone number per house, 2 if you were lucky. Now a days, a family of 4 is going to have an average of 5 phone numbers per house hold (4 cells and 1 landline). The area code only has so many variables that it can give out (I read somewhere that phone numbers cannot start with 0 or 1 (due to operator or the phone thinking you will be calling outside of area code, so there is already an eighth of the numbers gone). Then the phone number can't start with digits such as 900, 800, 911, 311, etc.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Most of the rest of the country already dials 10 or 11 digits for every phone call. It's only Long Island that is behind the times on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island