Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:20 AM

19 posts, read 11,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Thus the militarization of police forces nationwide. Citizens of today are afraid of both the perps and police.
If your not slinging dope, committing a crime and are a law abiding citizen why would you be afraid of the police. There are too many people that are anti govt and anarchists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I know it it stressful. I feel it. There is no reason to pull me over only when I have a person of color in the car in the middle of the day on a busy road. I have never been pulled over alone.

I do not defend people who are violent to police in any way. I have no need to watch your videos of violence. Why would I need to watch violence?
Just out of curiosity -- you purport to have been pulled over on a busy roadway during the middle of the day. If the cop is stationary that only allows a fraction of a moment to see who is in the car, and depending upon what side of the road they're on, might not be adequate time to notice all occupants, let alone the one passenger. I've been broken down on the side of a highway. Cars go by so quickly that you barely have the time to register who is driving, never mind all the occupants.

Or is this happening when both you and the cop are driving? Perhaps you float around the lane a little, pass on the wrong side, pass the cop at a speed slightly above the limit, switch lanes too abruptly, or do something else to give the police reason to pull you over? Is it at all possible that on a subliminal level you drive a little differently when there is a black person riding with you?

Given that, and the fact that a fair skinned person could be white, Asian, or Hispanic -- in addition to a fair-skinned black -- how can you be certain you're being profiled or targeted? Some of my Puerto Rican cousins are darker than Vanessa Williams; one when tanned looks black. She dates black guys. I've never heard her complain about being targeted, despite driving a high end European luxury car. (Isn't that what some folks suggest gets black people targeted?)

What happens at night when an officer can't see into your car so easily?

As for the videos they aren't mine. They have been posted by various individuals, news stations, and law enforcement. I suggest you check them out to get a read on the other side of the situation. We keep hearing about yours, why not try and understand theirs?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
I do not have to shut my mouth. I am always polite. You seem angry because I resent, and object being pulled over. I do not hand over my rights just because I am speaking to an police officer. Trust me, I know they are supposed to tell me why I am pulled over. I do not consider "routine traffic stop" on the expressway to be valid.

I have never made the claim MOST encounters have been hostile. The hostile encounters are always surprising, and unnecessary.
Sensing a little attitude there and wonder if (despite your best intentions of being polite) it is being emoted when/if you are pulled over by the police.

Just wondering -- are the black cops as ornery as the white ones?

Old 12-23-2014, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 11,175 times
Well said.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
I am happy you have never experienced this. It does not mean it has not happened to anyone else, though does it?

Happy for you.
Of course it has happened to other people. Just like cars with only whites get pulled over too.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Sensing a little attitude there and wonder if (despite your best intentions of being polite) it is being emoted when/if you are pulled over by the police.

Exactly. It is pretty easy to see that there is plenty of attitude coming form the driver's side in these situations. I am sure it has no impact on the situation that this person finds themselves in so often.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:08 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Al Sharpton has been peddling the 'blacks pulled over in cars more frequently than whites" canard but nobody buys it. If you are peddling the same jive as Rev Al, time to reexamine your position.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Exactly. It is pretty easy to see that there is plenty of attitude coming form the driver's side in these situations. I am sure it has no impact on the situation that this person finds themselves in so often.
Hmm. Not that it matters, but I have experienced this situation while working. My attitude and expectation is: I will be treated with respect. Common courtesy and civility seems to be missing among q a few law enforcement which makes them similar to some members of this particular C-D community.

The assumptions posters make about someone personally when they disagree with them is a little strange.

They do not expect the police to be polite and respectful, because they are incapable of being respectful and polite themselves. If this expectation is attitude then I embrace it proudly.

I object to being stopped by the police for no reason. I expect my interactions with the police to be polite and respectful. It is simple. I am entitled to this as is everyone else. Simple common courtesy. I seems to be a difficult concept for some.

Not so simple for some people here. I have been told I "blast ghetto music", should not travel with people of color in my car, I should take detours, I must not be driving in a straight line. All because I said, being stopped by the police for no reason is frightening to me. hahahahahaha I am amused.

My last interaction was not in a car. When the officer on scene began giving me some angry attitude, I stopped him. I asked him to start over, and speak to me like he would speak to his mother, or grandmother. He apologized, and the rest of the interaction was pleasant. We concluded our business. He returned later that afternoon for more information, and we had a cup of tea together. How hard is that? Not hard at all.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
....... Just like cars with only whites get pulled over too.
And your point?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

My expectation is to be treated with respect. I treat every one with respect. I am civil. I am courteous.

As a peruse things here, I think it must be a lost art.

As to your question, I find regardless of race, some police are rude and hostile. Those people are either poorly trained, or had bad parenting. I prefer poorly trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island