Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 12,191 times

Advertisements

[quote=Forest_Hills_Daddy;38360539]Then pick another NYC school/SD you'd recommend trading for Herricks, NHP, etc. I think it is your intellect that needs to be checked. At the end of the day, you can only choose one place to live and one school. So the issue is not what's nice about SD26 schools or whatever in NYC. It's whether most people would honestly prefer NHP/LI over that, all else equal.

Why are we comparing "if all else equal". They're not. From demographics, to economy, to crime, urban development, the areas are too disparate. So why offer up an unrealistic scenario for you argument.

A good number would, and do choose NYC, when faced with the option. Long island is desirable to plenty, but not all people. Even those with $$$. Get over it, it happens.

"Then one can live in Jericho or Roslyn if not comfortable in Herricks"

Awesome job avoiding my comment. I said one good district failed to pass a budget - one of your criticisms of NYC schools. A direct rebuttal to your comment about people moving to the island t avoid worrying about that.

"Great Neck and Jericho have been open since the 1950s. Bronxville, since prewar times. All have produced outstanding results. If what you say is true then mamas boys would have run these schools to the ground generations ago."

Again, awesome job not reading what I wrote. I never said the mama's boys were a long island or upper class phenomenon. I said its a sign of the times. The whole country (maybe world) has become this way in regards to their kids. Nor did I say this shift had a detrimental affect on any particular district or school itself. Seriously man.

The main issue is, you seem incapable or unwilling to recognize the ability to get a very good education in NYC, which is a shame.

In the end, we have different viewpoints on this matter. But hey, that's what makes the world go round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,672 times
To Forest_Hills_Daddy, which school does your child attend? I live in Forest Hills also and looking for a good private school for my child.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
exactly what is point of the gifted program long term? I went to a very good LI HS and it was useful to get into Ivy League colleges I guess, but other than that why?

The two or three most well known graduates of my HS and the two or three most known graduates of my kids HS none were in a gifted program.

Most the gifted kids grown up are plain old doctors, lawyers and engineers.

My kids are in the gifted program in school and at awards ceremony it seemed like a big scam. They are giving out Science and Math awards but only folks in gifted program qualified so are you really the best at science. Then tons of kids had tutors, dads and mom helping them, they attended extra classes, stayed late at school and studied around the clock.

If they were gifted why would they need to study all the times and have tutors. Honestly, schools should get rid of gifted programs.

Although as a parent and a tax payer it feels good when My kids get their phony baloney awards at their BS gifted program. I get sucked right in and video tape it and applaud.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 AM

56 posts, read 115,176 times
I know a kid who who can read at the age of 2 better than most kids can at the age of 6. She can pronounce words that might challenge most 10 year old kids. She's obviously talented in the eyes of many, but unlike other parents who prep their kids for the "gifted & talented" program, her parents did not and this child did not get in.

The purpose of the program might have been created for good intention, but lost it's purpose. The focus seem to be more and more about the parents and less about the kids.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM

196 posts, read 418,861 times
I graduated from Staten Island Technical High School, considered to be in the Top 5 of the State. I had NO issues whatsoever moving to LI and putting my kid into a public school out here.

Why? Because the track for a city kid like me was: Go to Catholic private school because the elementary public schools are awful. Then either go to a private high school or apply to specialized public school, which are very limited, not guaranteed, and might be a horrendous commute to get to. Then if you get into a specialized public high school you are behind the curve with their system and have to play catch up so that you can take AP classes, and you will still not be able to take as many as kids that grew up in the public system. On top of all that, there is next to NO "perks" in a private Catholic grammar school setting because they can't afford them. No band, no chorus, no sports etc. Staten Island Tech was the same when I went. I never took band in the NYC school experience.

On LI, my son goes to excellent schools all the way up the chain. Your kid starts taking band or chorus in the 3rd grade. There are so many different class types we did not have in the private and public system in NYC. Add to that you have no additional costs for private tuition (though our property taxes compensate). And you live in a more suburban area that are built for families and have a ton of extracurricular activities. The good school districts on Long Island, make more sense, and more stability than what is offered in NYC.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:18 AM

49 posts, read 58,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGiantsFan75 View Post
I know a kid who who can read at the age of 2 better than most kids can at the age of 6. She can pronounce words that might challenge most 10 year old kids. She's obviously talented in the eyes of many, but unlike other parents who prep their kids for the "gifted & talented" program, her parents did not and this child did not get in.

The purpose of the program might have been created for good intention, but lost it's purpose. The focus seem to be more and more about the parents and less about the kids.
Totally agree. I recently moved from NYC to LI. In DD's NYC school which has a G&T program most of the kids were prepped...we are talking about parents paying tutors for a year or two before having their DCs take the test. DD even had a classmate that was prepped for two years and still had to take the test twice before scoring high enough to enter the program. To me that child is not G&T.

There are very very few non-private schools in NYC that can compare to a majority of the school districts on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island