Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM

13,041 posts, read 18,004,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
DE is Delaware, right? What's TNH?
Yes to Delaware and Town of North Hempstead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:45 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,651,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
One area that I think DE beats the TNH by a country mile in. I pay $63 a quarter for my garbage service, and I have a 96 gallon trash container on wheels. Pick up is once a week, if I need a second container I can get one. The recycle container is slightly smaller and it gets picked up every other week. The driver is the only one on the truck. The truck has an arm that picks the container up and dumps it into the truck and returns it to the place it was. Nothing is ever falling out on to the street as the arm keeps the top of the garbage container closed until it is turned over the truck. Bulk pickup you have to call for and they will pick up on a specified day. Here is the best part. There are recycle containers, (think dumpsters) at several locations that you can get rid of large cardboard boxes or anything recyclable in nature so you don't have to wait for a pickup if you don't want. In the TNH, my garbage was picked up 3 times a week and recycle once per week. There were always a minimum of a driver plus one guy on the truck.

Now, you may say doesn't the garbage smell? I honestly have not had that problem with my garbage but I can't say for sure that others have not. The good news, the tax savings. Now, that will never happen in TNH because "the contracts call for 3 times per week pickup". Honestly, how many people actually generate that much garbage that it needs to be picked up that often? There are only 3 holidays that garbage is not picked up Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years day. The routes are done the next day. All other days the office is closed but regular garbage collection is done. MLK, Good Friday, Memorial day, July 4th, Labor day. I would love to see this one fly in TNH!!!!
Same here. Snow plowing beats Garden City by a country mile too although I think your average 16 year with a learner's permit could beat them so not saying much maybe??? LOL. Anyone who thinks they are getting good services for their money on LI is definitely in la-la land. We have our own town police force, you can actually get a project engineer to answer an email from you if you so happen to have a question about what is going on with a project, town and county workers actually do the job they are assigned to do i.e. it took us ONE DAY to get a building permit when we finished our attic and it took 5 days to get a CO. This is versus 8 weeks to get a permit in Garden City and weeks if not months to get a CO (and by the way I live in a town 5 times as big as Garden City). Let's be real here.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,992,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Same here. Snow plowing beats Garden City by a country mile too although I think your average 16 year with a learner's permit could beat them so not saying much maybe??? LOL. Anyone who thinks they are getting good services for their money on LI is definitely in la-la land. We have our own town police force, you can actually get a project engineer to answer an email from you if you so happen to have a question about what is going on with a project, town and county workers actually do the job they are assigned to do i.e. it took us ONE DAY to get a building permit when we finished our attic and it took 5 days to get a CO. This is versus 8 weeks to get a permit in Garden City and weeks if not months to get a CO (and by the way I live in a town 5 times as big as Garden City). Let's be real here.
It's so funny that the line between "telling it like it is" and being "an ex-pat basher" has to be the width of a whisker. LOL

Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's so funny that the line between "telling it like it is" and being "an ex-pat basher" has to be the width of a whisker. LOL
I have gone on record as saying that I love where I moved to and "essentially" don't really miss LI. I also have commented that no place is for everyone and for us, we are very happy. I don't think that either, Twingles or myself have bashed LI, it is just that when you live there, there are things that you simply accept or have to accept as being the norm and therefore they are. I simply pointed out what to me is absurd regarding garbage collection on LI, in TNH. This was said relative to the taxes I used to pay and in fact, when Craig Johnson was in office in TNH, I suggested the cut back to just two days. He simply stated that they were guaranteed three by contract. There are numerous things that could be done to lower the NY taxes that would not negatively impact the residents and might make them happier since they would have more money in their pockets BUT, it would mean someone would actually have to have the guts to break some of the absurd contracts, union or otherwise, when negotiations come around.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 AM

13 posts, read 19,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Just do it. It is beautiful here. The sky is blue, the snow has just fallen, and I am going to do a little cross country skiing in the local park tomorrow, not be slaving away late in some office just to pay $10,000 more in property taxes every year.
Glad to hear you had nice weather recently.

This is your post from 12/20/2014 11:17 AM on page 61 (yes 61) of the "10 Things I Hate About Pittsburgh" post in the Pittsburgh city data forum. Or did another ny789987 post that?

"The only thing I really hate about Pittsburgh is the persistent dreary cloud cover that occurs in the winter months. It is downright depressing. People will say, "oh it's not so bad, the sun peaks through the clouds every couple of weeks." The weather people are also delusional and lie. On their little extended weather forecasts, they will always paint a mixture of sun and clouds, but every morning they amend their daily forecast to say that we will be socked in with clouds, flurries, and cold drizzle. It gives you false hope and when you realize the truth, it makes you just want to curl up in a ball and cry. The holiday lights help a bit, and if you were able to time your vacation to sprint out of town in jan or feb, that could break up the dreariness. "

Old 01-09-2015, 07:49 AM

481 posts, read 1,058,202 times
I actually like hearing from exLIers as long as they are not condescending (like the OP). Hearing the insight that others have to offer is a good thing (whether we decide to move or not). The more I know, the better. With that said, I have wondered why these posters are here "bragging" as much as they are. Are they trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing, or are they so happy that they want to spread the "love" (of their new state).

Aside from bagels, pizza, family and schools the main reason people can't leave is jobs. In low tax / low COL areas, aside from some outliers, there are simply no jobs. To go where the jobs are, we'd be looking at pretty much the same situation as we are here (in that we'd end up near Chicago or on the West Coast). I'm still investigating, since my kids are (or about to be) out of the public school system, but at the moment I can't see where we could go.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comix View Post
Glad to hear you had nice weather recently.

This is your post from 12/20/2014 11:17 AM on page 61 (yes 61) of the "10 Things I Hate About Pittsburgh" post in the Pittsburgh city data forum. Or did another ny789987 post that?

"The only thing I really hate about Pittsburgh is the persistent dreary cloud cover that occurs in the winter months. It is downright depressing. People will say, "oh it's not so bad, the sun peaks through the clouds every couple of weeks." The weather people are also delusional and lie. On their little extended weather forecasts, they will always paint a mixture of sun and clouds, but every morning they amend their daily forecast to say that we will be socked in with clouds, flurries, and cold drizzle. It gives you false hope and when you realize the truth, it makes you just want to curl up in a ball and cry. The holiday lights help a bit, and if you were able to time your vacation to sprint out of town in jan or feb, that could break up the dreariness. "
Yes, my one really bad complaint about western Pennsylvania. The weather in the last week has been amazing though. Crystal clear blue skies mixed with in with snow squalls that bring in pretty white snow. Maybe I am more cut out for Minnesota. If the winter stays like this, I will be happy. The spring, summer, and fall though are amazing, lush and green. And Long Island isn't actually a bundle of sunshine in the winter either.

Last edited by ny789987; 01-09-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I actually like hearing from exLIers as long as they are not condescending (like the OP). Hearing the insight that others have to offer is a good thing (whether we decide to move or not). The more I know, the better. With that said, I have wondered why these posters are here "bragging" as much as they are. Are they trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing, or are they so happy that they want to spread the "love" (of their new state).

Aside from bagels, pizza, family and schools the main reason people can't leave is jobs. In low tax / low COL areas, aside from some outliers, there are simply no jobs. To go where the jobs are, we'd be looking at pretty much the same situation as we are here (in that we'd end up near Chicago or on the West Coast). I'm still investigating, since my kids are (or about to be) out of the public school system, but at the moment I can't see where we could go.
To your point, if you need a job, DE is not the place to move, especially in the Beach area as work is fairly seasonal. I don't think you are speaking about me in terms of bragging, as I am simply answering other poster. That said, there are things I see done here, granted on an infinitesimally smaller scale, that if not for the politics of NY, could help LI'ers. Not that there isn't politics here, mind you.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM

481 posts, read 1,058,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
To your point, if you need a job, DE is not the place to move, especially in the Beach area as work is fairly seasonal. I don't think you are speaking about me in terms of bragging, as I am simply answering other poster. That said, there are things I see done here, granted on an infinitesimally smaller scale, that if not for the politics of NY, could help LI'ers. Not that there isn't politics here, mind you.

Nope, I was referring to the OP, however, I've seen the same attitude as the OP in other threads, which does have me wondering. An objective, logical viewpoint is very much appreciated.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,809,393 times
Quote:
In low tax / low COL areas, aside from some outliers, there are simply no jobs. To go where the jobs are, we'd be looking at pretty much the same situation as we are here (in that we'd end up near Chicago or on the West Coast). I'm still investigating, since my kids are (or about to be) out of the public school system, but at the moment I can't see where we could go.
That depends on your line of work. If you work at the top of the food chain or in the public sector, you don't have a choice. My employer was open to the idea of me moving to a lower tax/low COL area. It was a win-win for both of us. I am also at a competitive advantage now in my job market. I can outbid my competitors in nyc on projects by 20% and still enjoy a higher real salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island