Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 06:45 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The traffic, the rude people, the lack of green space. Can't wait to plow through the Holland Tunnel to get back out. I feel like a rat in a cage here. Don't believe the people that say you will feel homesick once you leave here. Don't feel homesick one bit! In fact, the relatives will have to visit me next year. Just loving my new home with the mountains, the parks, the wide open space, the availability of jobs within a half an hour of my house, and most of all the reasonable property taxes!
Good don't come back. And while you are at it keep pointless posts like this to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Thanks for the great post. Grab some bagels, and pizza before you leave.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:23 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,926 times
Talk about rude people..who's the one posting to a region's forum with insults about their home?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
While I would not post in the style of the original poster, I pretty much feel like he does. We do miss pizza and bagels and we do miss family and friends. That said, we try not to miss too many events as long as we can get there. I am not talking about weddings etc. more like gatherings for no good reason, or a brunch.

There is an old song I learned as a child whose lyrics are "Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold". When we were home for Christmas, we saw as many friends and family as we could coordinate time wise. We have great friends here who are the salt of the earth, but they are the silver friends and we love them too.

We looked our taxes up and we increased $454! Yikes. I think moving is a very personal choice and it has to be the right choice at the right time or else you will never be happy. Unfortunately, we were not blessed with children, so for us the draw of kids and grandkids did not hold us back from relocating, but I know I would still be there if we had kids. We moved close enough that we are a weekend trip and we do see a fair share of company. I might feel differently if I were further away and not able to have family visits. The move allowed DH to retire, something he would not have done if we remained in NY. It was the right decision for us but may not be for others.

Anyone headed in our direction, we will meet you for a pizza and bagel delivery, however!!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:23 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Ive never understood the point of these kinds of threads. Ok we get it, you moved off Long Island an are happy ... good for you. However, I also know people who moved and they are miserable beyond belief. In the last month alone I have one friend who moved back from Arizona and another from Florida. I have zero friends who moved off of Long Island in the last month.

Long Island isent for everyone ... and some people like myself would pay high taxes in exchange for four seasons instead of one season (Florida) known as very, very, very hot or two seasons (North Carolina) hot and very hot.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Ive never understood the point of these kinds of threads. Ok we get it, you moved off Long Island an are happy ... good for you. However, I also know people who moved and they are miserable beyond belief. In the last month alone I have one friend who moved back from Arizona and another from Florida.

Long Island isent for everyone ... and some people like myself would pay high taxes in exchange for four seasons instead of one season (Florida) known as very, very, very hot or two seasons (North Carolina) hot and very hot.
The OP appears to have moved to Pittsburgh which has all 4 seasons and low taxes

Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 PM

194 posts, read 425,150 times
You could have just moved out east to get all those things you were boasting about.

...well except for the mountains, but you traded that for our beaches - sucka.

Last edited by brianosaur; 01-03-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 12:51 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Ive never understood the point of these kinds of threads. Ok we get it, you moved off Long Island an are happy ... good for you. However, I also know people who moved and they are miserable beyond belief. In the last month alone I have one friend who moved back from Arizona and another from Florida.

Dave, I moved to De. We have weather much like NY, I like all the seasons but generally our spring starts a little earlier and is shorter than a NY spring. Likewise our fall last a little longer. As I said in my earlier post, a move is not for everyone. If the only reason you are leaving is for the weather and you find the winters too cold, you can find reasonable rentals in Florida for a couple of months. The only people I know that moved back were those who underestimated how much they were going to miss the family. I speak daily to my family and weekly to hubbys. They visit throughout the year and thus far the only month we have not had a visit from a family member or friend is January and that is about to be broken next week.

Likewise, it is important to comprehend the loss of nearby family and friends when buying a new home. We opted for a single family home in a community as opposed to a stand alone single family home for that reason. We are paying an HOA fee that includes a clubhouse and two pools (indoor and outdoor) and tennis courts. We made a judgment call that the cost was worth the activities and camaraderie that came with it.

My advice for anyone who is considering a move is to take it slow. We spent time here during the course of three years before deciding to actually pull up stakes and relocate. Our M-O every time we came was to debunk the thought that this was shang-ra-la for us. We were unable to and so we decided it was for us. Are there things here that are not like NY, sure. The are no highways or parkways or expressways. The closest I can come to a highway here, is similar to Sunrise Highway. There are stretches that are improved but by and large it is similar to Sunrise. As a native Delawarean put it to me when asked about the differences, (my NY taxes are now over ten thousand, my taxes here $1300)," you're retired now and you have time, $9000 buys a lot"!!!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Down at our new condo here in Naples and I am pleased to say we have a great place for bagels. Pizza....not so much but married to a true Sicilian eases that dilemma. Our decision to eventually leave LI is based solely on money and weather. Besides seeing three German freundins wearing their bras and panties in lieu of bikinis was a treat today. I was in dreamworld until I was snapped alert to "hey! I'm talking to you."

Old 01-03-2015, 12:58 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,914 times
Quote:
It can get very hot in the summer in North Carolina but it most definitely has all four seasons. The main differences are that it gets hotter than New York in the summer and the winters are milder than New York winters. Thinking that North Carolina only has two seasons isn't correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island