Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I_Love_LI_but:

Another free speech advocate, people should only be allowed to post if they post what you want to hear. 15,979 posts! To my 541. My you've got busy little fingers. Talk about spouting off? You sure have been making your voice heard loud and clear.

My God, I'm quaking in my boots. Typical answer from people from New York. Ban everything and anything that they do not agree with. No wonder so many are leaving. Your own governor stated that "people who do not think like him are not welcome in New York". The hallmark of tolerance and civility.

To make a statement about barely finding anyone who can speak English and coming from the New York metro are is indeed an ignorant fool. New York City is like a foreign country where on earth have you been?
It's not "people from NY" who make the Forum TOS and the rules on CD. The owner is in the Midwest. The two head moderators are in Eastern Europe. They make the rules on CD, not NY'ers, not even Andrew Cuomo.

In NYC and on LI, I do not run into the non-English speaking at all. Of course there are people like that, but not to the extent of the Southwest. When in CA or AZ I could not even get lunch at a fast food restaurant without pointing and miming because all the workers only spoke Spanish and some a little broken English. There just are more immigrants from south of the border in those areas than in NYC and it shows. In TJ and Mexico City it was easier to find someone who spoke English but that is because they're tourist areas for people from the US.

PS: And your rant about NY complete with sarcastic comment "the hallmark of tolerance and civility," is particularly precious when you willingly live in a state with such horrible, intolerant laws. Here's some interwebs stuff (I whipped up these webpages myself) LOL:

Controversial Arizona laws rack up big legal fees
Quote:
Arizona has led the nation in recent years with laws targeting illegal immigrants, abortions and school choice.

But being the first comes with a cost.

Lawsuits defending some of the state’s most controversial laws have cost millions of dollars and thousands of hours of state employee time, diverting them from other important work.

And with some lawsuits ongoing — and state lawmakers continuing to test the legal boundaries — costs will continue to climb.
Arizona’s experience with controversial laws and boycotts - The Washington Post
Quote:
The state of Arizona is in the news right now because of a controversial bill that would let businesses refuse service to gay people.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day? Nah, we’re good.

The state’s resistance to a holiday honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was a big issue in the late 1980s and early 1990s. In 1986, the same year a federal holiday honoring King was first observed, Arizona’s House of Representatives voted down a measure observing the holiday (the state Senate passed the bill). So, outgoing Gov. Bruce Babbitt, a Democrat who was about to leave office and run for president in 1988, proclaimed the holiday on his own.

This became part of the election to succeed Babbitt. Candidate Evan Mecham said during his campaign that he would overturn Babbitt’s order if he won. Mecham was elected, and shortly after being sworn in the Republican followed through on his pledge.
This above is a long article showing AZ's history as being a "hallmark of intolerance and incivility."

Arizona lawmakers pass controversial anti-gay bill - CNN.com

Quote:
Arizona's Legislature has passed a controversial bill that would allow business owners, as long as they assert their religious beliefs, to deny service to gay and lesbian customers.
And you have the nerve to say NY is intolerant? Open up your eyes and take a look at the state you live in. Or, even better, get a hobby. How about go looking for the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine in the Superstition Mountains?

Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe with enough gold nuggets, you will forget about being hostile to NY. Or maybe you will disappear and die like some other seekers of the lost gold mine have.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-20-2015 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Redd Jedd:

Outstanding! Same here. I now live in a neighborhood with people from all walks of life and from all over the country. We're here because we want to be here. Not because we have to be here. There's a big difference. We are self employed and had the opportunity to live anywhere we choose. We moved out here not knowing a single soul and were surprised how easy it was to make new friends and how genuinely happy people out here are. Getting out of the New York metro area has been a tremendous burden lifted off of our shoulders. We paid our dues living there in property taxes for 30 years which are about 10 times what we pay out here. Add that all up and we would have an even better home than we have now. Or we could have invested it. We owe the New York metro area nothing. One of the main reasons I post here is to inform people based on my own personal experience that they can have a much better quality of life once they are out of there. Too bad if some don't like it. They for some reason or the other are probably stuck there.
And you made a bundle on your home after 30 years to be able to move wherever you want too.

How do you think a thread on the Arizona forums would go over if it was full of people who had been to or had lived in AZ completely hating on Arizona? How would Arizonans go for that? How would the mods on the Arizona forums go for that? This is an insulting and hateful thread for the most part. Of course LI'ers do not value what you are saying and will defend their home.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I beat all you downgraders...I bought a large house in a little known suburb in OH. It's safe, the parks are free, nature, lakes and open spaces aplenty,friendly people, pretty good schools. Blows away pittsburgh, the carolinas, fl, tx. I paid $23,000 cash/taxes 2k a year, SUCKAZ!!!!
There is a couple that used to live on LI and now post from an OH suburb and they are happy there. Unlike some of the expats posting on this thread, they can express their happiness WITHOUT totally skewering LI!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sorry I'm not buying it. People aren't moving to Charlotte to buy a 500k 50 year old split otherwise they might as well stay up north. That's not why people flock to cities down south. Look I know you think Charlotte is a crime free, economic paradise on earth without flaw, and LI is hell, but facts are facts. Nassau median home values on average are way above Charlottes (which for new buyer looking to move there is a good thing). You can say you can't compare county to county (which is complete nonsense) but its a fact. Nassau has its rich and poor areas too.
I know this may come as a shock, but people move for many reasons. The context of my reply to the Charlotte discussion was to point out it isn't just about "cheap housing" and it wasn't about all about transplants like me. People are moving and buying older homes in prime areas of Charlotte because they choose to live there. It isn't all about "flocking" or leaving "up north". I could drop you in some neighborhoods and you wouldn't even be able to tell if it was here or there.

... and it is most certainly not apples to apples comparing a suburban county like Nassau with its density to a city county like Mecklenburg (Charlotte proper) - the comparison should be city to city and suburban county to suburban county and even at that the population differences skew it. You need to drill down if you want to see the real picture because I can tell you it's going to cost you way more than you think for a house in the better school districts (just like on LI). In some way this plays into what you're saying... but it's an important distinction. Just like I said to ILLIB, it's disingenuous to not acknowledge that you can find "cheap housing" on LI (even Nassau).

Old 01-20-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Best post so far. I'm about to become an expat, and hoping the change will be just what I need. Also, I constantly feel that I'm being ripped off every day in Nassau County, and this degrades the NY experience considerably. I could do without those extra hands in my pocket, and would rather fund my own future than NY's rich public sector.

After traveling to Europe, Asia Minor, the west coast and riding cross country a couple of times, I have seen that life doesn't begin and end in NY. The world is an interesting place and I'm up for something new.
This is my main complaint about LI. It's true, but nobody should kid themselves, this goes on in all parts of the country and all parts of the world, some places even worse than Nassau.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Who's the whacko poser dude? You can be anything you want on the interweb! LOL - I'm a pron star btw

The problem is that you're not comparing apples to apples. You can't compare the city of Charlotte (Meck county) to Nassau county... it won't compute. There are absolutely prime areas within South Charlotte that you'll pay 450-500k for your "1800sq ft split". This is difficult for you to comprehend because you don't know the area. I also disagree with your characterization of "one of the major reasons". Quality of Life is more appropriate.

That list you're quoting is a Los Angeles perspective discussing people graduating with an Engineering degree from an Ivy league school... almost all being hired by Google. It is NOT the big picture by any stretch of the imagination.

You can find cheap living on Long Island - very easily.
Why do you conveniently forget that in your mini rants?
It depends what you consider cheap living and what is an acceptable quality of life for you. I could get a house very cheaply in Wyandanch, for example, but would I want to live there because it's cheap? Hmm, must think about that ... Where are the cheap property taxes on LI (and, for that matter, in the Greater NYC Area like Westchester, Bergen County NJ, etc.)?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Because ranting is easy and why so many do it online. It's also easy for people to post "facts" pulled off of the interweb that are unrelated to the conversation, of dubious value or that are just data points without any real context.
Next time you post facts off the interwebs, I will remember this!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I believe Long Island must be a special place.

Posts draw people boasting about how unsuccessful they were while living here, because they are so successful in their current home. It does not say anything about Long Island, except that it takes an extraordinary effort to be successful here.

Not everyone can be successful on Long Island, and choose to move where they can be successful. The people returning to say what a terrible place this is, return with a bitter taste in their mouth. They want to poison the waters for anyone living here, or wishing to move here.
This is a great post. +5!

Old 01-20-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sorry I'm not buying it. People aren't moving to Charlotte to buy a 500k 50 year old split otherwise they might as well stay up north. That's not why people flock to cities down south. Look I know you think Charlotte is a crime free, economic paradise on earth without flaw, and LI is hell, but facts are facts. Nassau median home values on average are way above Charlottes (which for new buyer looking to move there is a good thing). You can say you can't compare county to county (which is complete nonsense) but its a fact. Nassau has its rich and poor areas too.
Exactly! And for many LI ex-pats that moved away, those high home values are what funded and made possible their successful move.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
All depends on the reasons a person left. I didn't leave bitter or hating Long Island, so I don't have many negative things about it, still enjoy visiting and fully understand why friends still live there.
I will agree that it takes extra effort to live on Long Island, but that's been the case for a long time and neither makes it a superior or inferior place to live. It just is what it is.
Then please stop egging on the ones who left and are bitter if that's the way you really feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island