Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
General Info Section (bolded only):

24 yrs. ago. Around $200K.

Reading Comprehension Section (bolded and underlined):

I am discussing his current house on LI that he wants to sell. He doesn't own a house in SC yet. The biggest and grandest McMansion in the development he wants to move to comes nowhere near $1M, let alone $1.8M. Who knows what the schools are like that serve the part of SC he's moving to. He doesn't have any kids in school now.

Again, I am talking about where he lives now on LI that houses can sell around $1.8M, not SC.

Actually he sent me a link to a SC house he likes with an asking price in the mid $300s. I went on Zillow to look at it there and since last year that house has been going down like crazy and is now "zestimated" in the low 200s. And it's still projected to keep losing value. However, I know that Zillow can be way off on the zestimates. At least they are off on LI because they just cant wrap their webpage code around our school districts and the way they are zoned.

Sorry to get your hopes up about SC schools and real estate values. Please read more carefully next time.
Easy there sport. I misread your post.

Still it is all anecdotal and one could probably find areas in other parts of the country where values went up a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM

40 posts, read 124,649 times
Quote:
General Info Section (bolded only):

24 yrs. ago. Around $200K.

Reading Comprehension Section (bolded and underlined):

I am discussing his current house on LI that he wants to sell. He doesn't own a house in SC yet. The biggest and grandest McMansion in the development he wants to move to comes nowhere near $1M, let alone $1.8M. Who knows what the schools are like that serve the part of SC he's moving to. He doesn't have any kids in school now.

Again, I am talking about where he lives now on LI that houses can sell around $1.8M, not SC.

Actually he sent me a link to a SC house he likes with an asking price in the mid $300s. I went on Zillow to look at it there and since last year that house has been going down like crazy and is now "zestimated" in the low 200s. And it's still projected to keep losing value. However, I know that Zillow can be way off on the zestimates. At least they are off on LI because they just cant wrap their webpage code around our school districts and the way they are zoned.

Sorry to get your hopes up about SC schools and real estate values. Please read more carefully next time.
I hate to burst your bubble, but houses do go down in value in Long Island. My brother bought his house in East Rockaway in 2006 for 450,000. He's lucky if he can get 350,000 for it today, especially after Hurricane Sandy. A friend of mine sold the house he grew up in and inherited on Derby St in VS in 2007 for 415,000. The current owners are still underwater on it as it's only worth maybe about 325,000 today. I remember back in the late 80s, a neighbor of ours on Pershing Ave bought his house for like 190,000, the market/economy crashed and his employer transferred him to Atlanta and he had to sell his house for the price of 140,000. LI is just like any established metro area. Prices go up and they go down. You can't compare VS to a southern town just starting to build. You need to compare apples to apples.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
No, you chose it to say "nyah nyah" to me, as in houses are worth more in Weddington, NC than in Valley Stream, NY!

I say back, "la la la la la!"
haha - that's not true!

The bottom line is that LI is not unattainable or as "out of reach" as many try to represent it here. It can be affordable depending on your requirements...

There's also options in between utopian LI and "hick land". It doesn't have to be either extreme.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:42 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
haha - that's not true!

The bottom line is that LI is not unattainable or as "out of reach" as many try to represent it here. It can be affordable depending on your requirements...

There's also options in between utopian LI and "hick land". It doesn't have to be either extreme.
There are also options outside of Long Island between utopia and hick land where you don't have to waste $15,000 grand a year in property taxes padding the pockets of Shelly Silver and his special interests.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjrinaz View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but houses do go down in value in Long Island. My brother bought his house in East Rockaway in 2006 for 450,000. He's lucky if he can get 350,000 for it today, especially after Hurricane Sandy. A friend of mine sold the house he grew up in and inherited on Derby St in VS in 2007 for 415,000. The current owners are still underwater on it as it's only worth maybe about 325,000 today. I remember back in the late 80s, a neighbor of ours on Pershing Ave bought his house for like 190,000, the market/economy crashed and his employer transferred him to Atlanta and he had to sell his house for the price of 140,000. LI is just like any established metro area. Prices go up and they go down. You can't compare VS to a southern town just starting to build. You need to compare apples to apples.
Yes that's true. Houses can go down in value on LI in certain situations, especially after real estate bubbles that last a number of years, like the recent bubble your brother bought in and your friend sold in. When I talk of high appreciation, I am talking about people who have had their homes for a number of years. If a person has a home for only 3 years and then goes to sell it, they are not ending up with a lump sum that could buy a new home for cash in a cheaper area. I know, people bought during the bubble and now their houses are underwater, so their only hope is to stay put until the property appreciates again, but some can't. There's a lot of short sales out there because of the last housing bubble on LI.

You have a point, but it would make me worried to pay $349K for a house currently valued at $229K and projected to continue going down in value. I'd wonder what is wrong with the development, area, etc. (However, like I said in my other post, this is Zillow I was looking at and they are not perfect.) A lot of LI'ers moving South just see the house and compare it to what it would cost on LI and grab it up without thinking or doing any research. I actually know someone moving South from LI to a development in a state they've never visited and they don't plan to visit this state until after they have sold their LI house and have cash in hand to buy one of the new development homes they've been drooling over. That will be their first visit to the state ... ready to buy with cash in hand and no longer owning a LI home with their belongings in a PODS warehouse, waiting for instruction on what address to bring them to. Now if anything goes wrong with the area and they want out, they may very well be one of those people who want to move back and cannot afford to and cannot sell their Southern home because of all the competition with the other newer homes being built.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-28-2015 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
haha - that's not true!

One thing you for sure guys in the Charlotte area now have over NY now MikeyKid,

Google. Fiber. Consider me Jealous!

Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and Nashville adding Google Fiber - UPI.com

Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
One thing you for sure guys in the Charlotte area now have over NY now MikeyKid,

Google. Fiber. Consider me Jealous!

Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh and Nashville adding Google Fiber - UPI.com
This is a huge pet peave with me, we're under Time Warner Cable and they make Cablevision look awesome. Terrible. So if this truly comes to pass I will be cheering!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Who is the "many" you are talking about?
The only ones who comes to mind are Do you really take their opinions seriously?

No kidding. We can find a lot of non "hick land" in this country to move to, especially the places I like.
I don't take those opinions very seriously... at all.

For complete transparency - if money was no object and I could live anywhere it would be San Fran.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-06-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
This is a huge pet peave with me, we're under Time Warner Cable and they make Cablevision look awesome. Terrible. So if this truly comes to pass I will be cheering!

Sounds like its a done deal to me, you guys should have it by 2017 from what I read. Up to 1000 mb/s download speed, which is insane. Wow if they make cablevision look awesome TWC must be beyond awful lol!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
I don't take those opinions very seriously... at all.

For complete transparency - if money was no object and I could live anywhere it would be San Fran.
Well, who else is "guilty," as per your comment "LI is unattainable or as "out of reach" as many try to represent it here?" You make it sound like that's a big thing on LI CD and everyone says it. Ironically, it's the ex-pats who post things like this while bragging about how cheap it is in their new location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island