Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times

Advertisements

Also MLS ads never seem to include the RVC tax and the Nassau Land Record viewer does not list them. You have to get the RVC taxes from Realtor or Seller and if you are thinking of making an offer get copy of last RVC tax bill or check with town.

I have seen some houses with 5k RVC property taxes. Also some homes right by Mill River in RVC are actually a flood zone. So you have to buy flood insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Lynnbrook has really good schools (make sure not Malverne) and an even better commute to NYC and lower taxes and home prices

Old 01-13-2015, 01:00 PM

12 posts, read 16,490 times
I live in south Massapequa on the canals. The whole area was flooded during Hurricane Sandy and since then there are a lot of for sale signs and new homes for sale being built in place of the old ones that were lost during the storm. Not sure if they meet your price range, but no harm trying to negotiate. I know a lot of these people have been trying to sell for awhile. If you want to stick to the south shore in Nassau county, other suggestions for your price range would be Rockville Center and Valley Stream.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaFine78 View Post
I live in south Massapequa on the canals. The whole area was flooded during Hurricane Sandy and since then there are a lot of for sale signs and new homes for sale being built in place of the old ones that were lost during the storm. Not sure if they meet your price range, but no harm trying to negotiate. I know a lot of these people have been trying to sell for awhile. If you want to stick to the south shore in Nassau county, other suggestions for your price range would be Rockville Center and Valley Stream.

Same where I live, in Balwin Harbor we still have a number of homes that are waiting for permits, gut renovation jobs/contractors and some residents still are living in mobile trailers or outside the area. Our house is currently on the market (along with a good chunk of others within a 5 block radius) and all of them are in th e $350K range and below (ours is priced in the low 200s). You can def get a good deal and people are buying, we had an offer only 2 months ago from a Queens couple who wanted to move in ASAP (deal fell through due to their shaky financing).

Go on MLSLI and select all the towns along the LIRR Babylon line - pick your price ranges and Single Family Homes with 2 or 3+ bedrooms, and you will be pleasantly surprised by how much inventory there is. The question is, are you ok with paying flood insurance in some areas on top of the taxes and if you are ok with the risk of living in a flood zone..There are some homes that are blocks from canals and dont even require flood insurance because the streets they are on are so elevated...You just have to do your research. $ 300K and under is a tight budget but not impossible for Nassau - I'd say towns you could focus on along south shore are Valley Stream, East Rockaway, Freeport, Baldwin, Massapequa/Seaford, Copiague, Lindenhurst..The farther out east prob more cheaper...

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Agree!
If you're not familiar with Long Island, renting first makes the most sense. It'll give you 6+ months to figure out where you want to end up.
Honestly, this is true with almost anywhere. You really need to get a feel for the area by living there before committing to a house in a new area you don't know about. It takes time to find the right grocery store, stores, etc that you will frequent the most, and nobody on the Internet can advise you on your preference.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 AM

17 posts, read 35,593 times
I grew up in Massapequa so therefore I am a bit biased. BUT if that's your budget you're not going to be able to afford something in South Massapequa. I would look at Amityville or Seaford. If you want to venture further west, you can try Baldwin or Rockville Center. You should also consider looking at Condo's to buy. There's a few places in West Islip that are in your price range. That might be the best bet to start off with!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,828 times
Thank you guys for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island