Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:35 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Jahns remaining location in Jackson Heights is still open. There are a few great ice cream parlors left on Li. If you have not been here yet try Hildebrandts on Hillside Ave. in Williston Park. That to me is the best on LI. They still make their own ice cream in the basement there. The fries are sliced &incredible. Never tried their food really as when I used to work across the street from them I had lunch there almost daily and during those years that I went there they did not have the food menu that they have now. Was just basically ice cream parlor type of food like burgers & such. Now they have huge menu but only got the burgers there & of course the drinks & ice cream. There is also International Delight Cafe which it OK, but shocked that they still stay in business all these years as a cash only restaurant. Must be why IDC is always empty when I walk by. At least the one in Bellmore is. Never go to the RVC one.
Thank you Loribel. I used to go to Jahns in Jackson Heights quite a bit. I'm glad that they are still in business. My favorite Ice Cream Parlor is Eddie's Sweet Shop in Queens but they are not cheap. I like Hildebrandts whipped cream but not thrilled about the food or ice cream, I think Itgens is better, when they are having a good day. I loved International and the one in Rockville Centre is usually very busy. The one in Bellmore gets busy at night with the after-movie crowd. I know the owners, husband and wife. However, Friendlys was still cheaper, maybe not cheaper than Itgens-I'm not sure and what was great about Friendlys was the kids' menu. They loved that conehead ice-cream or the happy ending. Cheap and kid-sized so you aren't paying for the ice-cream that gets leftover with small children. I believe there is a place in Long Beach that is supposed to make great milkshakes but they charge something like 6 dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 19,795 times
The Hollow Creamery in Carle Place has very good homemade ice cream.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Thank you Loribel. I used to go to Jahns in Jackson Heights quite a bit. I'm glad that they are still in business. My favorite Ice Cream Parlor is Eddie's Sweet Shop in Queens but they are not cheap. I like Hildebrandts whipped cream but not thrilled about the food or ice cream, I think Itgens is better, when they are having a good day. I loved International and the one in Rockville Centre is usually very busy. The one in Bellmore gets busy at night with the after-movie crowd. I know the owners, husband and wife. However, Friendlys was still cheaper, maybe not cheaper than Itgens-I'm not sure and what was great about Friendlys was the kids' menu. They loved that conehead ice-cream or the happy ending. Cheap and kid-sized so you aren't paying for the ice-cream that gets leftover with small children. I believe there is a place in Long Beach that is supposed to make great milkshakes but they charge something like 6 dollars.
Wow! Eddies! Grew up going there with family! Have not been there in about 2 years. Love that place. use to go to the Jahns on Queens Blvd when it was next to the Sizzlers way back then in the 70's. I know the owners of Hildebrandts LOL. They are great people.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Not suprised at all. Last time I entered a friendlys I walked rigt back out. All those 20 year old places like fridays, applebee's and even outback are all run down and dirty. The worst are the menu's!!!
Last time I was in Outback in Westbury it was pretty nice. Same with Fridays in Levittown and Westbury. I don't frequent Applebees. Where are your locations?

Last edited by ovi8; 01-07-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,967 times
We used to get tuned up at the Brightwaters Lake in the mid 70's and then head to the one on Main Street in Bay Shore and munch out on fries and floats.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:27 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Now there won't be anywhere to buy an ice cream soda . The kids who work at Baskin Robbins have no idea what that even is .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Now there won't be anywhere to buy an ice cream soda . The kids who work at Baskin Robbins have no idea what that even is .
You are so right! I wont even buy ice cream in a dunkin donuts, they have no idea how to scoop ice cream, that ruined BR for me.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:56 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
You should give them an infraction and delete their threads. That'll teach em.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Johnny Rockets

Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,815 times
Janh's is in Queens but Hildebrant's, Itgens, Coyle's, Snowflake, Herell's, Magic Fountain are all solid choices.

I like an ice cream soda or a shake and I can say these places will make them right. Would not bother with Friendly's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island