Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 AM

225 posts, read 317,550 times

Advertisements

Who knows about this haunted mansion in huntington, ny in suffolk county, ny? Is this house nearby to mt. misery? What happens there and why does it happen? Who goes there and why do they? What are the tunnels and why would gangster ghosts be there?

[CENTER] Coindre Hall[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[LEFT] A brief History: Coindre Hall, formerly known as the French renaissance style mansion of pharmaceutical magnate of George McKesson Brown sits at 101 Browns Road in Huntington, NY. After 6 years of construction, Coindre Hall was completed. The residence boasted an indoor pool, servants’ quarters, a boathouse, gatehouse, and stable. A member of Long Island high society, McKesson belonged to two yacht clubs and the New York Horticultural Society. During the Stock Market Crash of 1929 George McKesson lost his fortune and with it his chateau. During prohibition, the boating house and underground tunnels were used by bootleggers to smuggle illegal alcohol.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] Ownership of the property then went to the Brothers of Sacred Heart who turned it into a boarding school and summer retreat. They also renamed the location Coindre Hall in honor of the late Father Andre’ Coindre. They ran the school until it closed in 1971. Then through the mid-1980s the building was the Eagle Hill School. The school specialized in teaching students with learning disabilities. Coindre Hall is now a multipurpose venue specializing in weddings. In 1973 Coindre Hall Park was placed under the control of the Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation. Then in 1985 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. [/LEFT]
Haunted History: Visitors to Coindre Hall have reported strange occurrences. Some people have claimed to see figures in vintage clothing moving about the building. On occasion people have reported that they thought they saw someone resembling a 1930s gangster on the property. If you happen to attend a wedding at Coindre Hall keep your eyes peeled for guests of another era. Who knows who you may come across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 AM

194 posts, read 424,983 times
Its on browns road.

Used to do outside hardwood flooring maintenance here 10-15 years ago when Friends of Long Island Heritage oversaw the property. Now the town runs maintenance.

They had a tunnel that went to an old the boat house from the main house bc the originally the owner didn't want to walk down that big back lawn in the cold. I believe it collapsed years ago.

Never saw any dead people, and if you ask me Oheka was alot more creepy and haunted back in the late 70's - early 80's when it was abandoned.

....not that I was ever inside that castle or anything when it was, but I grew up 5 mins away

Old 01-10-2015, 09:27 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Loaded with demons and boogeymen. And squirrels. I'll - tempered squirrels.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:57 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,223,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Loaded with demons and boogeymen. And squirrels. I'll - tempered squirrels.
Love the reference.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:30 AM

246 posts, read 470,392 times
had a friend get married there once.

They said they saw their downpayment on a house mysteriously vanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Love the reference.
well done!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Damn auto correct.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,084 times
Years ago the theater group of Huntington used the place for storage of costumes and props. Maybe someone saw an actor with a costume on.

I've never heard of it being haunted. John Brown, the original owner, was a friend of my grandfather's back in the 1960's and prior to then - I remember him from when I was a child. A very nice man who ended up living in our neighborhood where we currently reside.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
Can I shoot photography there?

Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
They Coindre Hall was used by some gangster called the Beer Baron of The Bronx to boot leg rum smuggled in from Cuba through secret under ground tunnels and thats where the gangster buried millions of dollars in cash diamonds and stocks some where on the property. Last time over their last year i seen some people with head set metal detectors. I'm going to try and find the tunnels from the Boat House see what happens!!

Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
Does anybody really even know if the place was investigated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island