Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:28 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The OP asked a reasonable question, "why are taxes so high," and didn't get an answer. There are many reasons for this problem, and answering your question in full is a topic worthy of a doctoral thesis. I'll start with the beginning.

<BEGIN HISTORY LESSON>

The problem began after WWII when servicemen and women were returning from the front and needed affordable housing. Developers like Levitt accommodated them by building LI starter homes that were affordable for this new middle class. Everyone in those days wanted a home with a lawn and room for their growing families.

As people moved east, multiple townships, villages and school district were established because everyone wanted to do things their way. Everyone wanted to have autonomy, unlike the way things are in NYC where services were combined.

Once these multiple civil service entities and their bureaucrats became established, the cost of providing services became more expensive. Fiefdoms and territory are things to be protected once they're entrenched, and we're still stuck with them because they refuse to consolidate.

</END HISTORY LESSON>

That's an opener. Someone else will have to continue this tale.

The idea that taxes are high because NY has too many tax fiefdoms or jurisdictions is sort of a red herring. According to the the US Census Bureau, NY had 3,453. Relative to population, that’s not especially high, and there’s no correlation between the number of local governments and the burden of property taxes in different states.

In fact, the evidence suggests New York’s high local taxes are driven mainly by high employee wages and benefits — but Cuomo has made it clear he won’t pursue reform of the collective-bargaining laws that make it hard for localities to restructure contracts.

Taxes are high simply because public servants on LI are overcompensated. The gym teacher in your local elementary school gets paid close to 150K to take attendance and bounce around a basketball on what is essentially a part-time schedule. If that is not a sweet gig, I don't know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The idea that taxes are high because NY has too many tax fiefdoms or jurisdictions is sort of a red herring. According to the the US Census Bureau, NY had 3,453. Relative to population, that’s not especially high, and there’s no correlation between the number of local governments and the burden of property taxes in different states.

In fact, the evidence suggests New York’s high local taxes are driven mainly by high employee wages and benefits — but Cuomo has made it clear he won’t pursue reform of the collective-bargaining laws that make it hard for localities to restructure contracts.

Taxes are high simply because public servants on LI are overcompensated. The gym teacher in your local elementary school gets paid close to 150K to take attendance and bounce around a basketball.
What you said about overcompensation is true. We also just have too many civil servants, particularly in the schools. With over 100 school districts, six-figure superintendents seem to multiply like bunnies. In my town alone (Valley Stream), there are FOUR SCHOOL DISTRICTS! Nobody can tell me they're not piling onto the beleaguered homeowners by running this racket.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
What you said about overcompensation is true. We also just have too many civil servants, particularly in the schools. With over 100 school districts, six-figure superintendents seem to multiply like bunnies. In my town alone (Valley Stream), there are FOUR SCHOOL DISTRICTS! Nobody can tell me they're not piling onto the beleaguered homeowners by running this racket.
True that! And the 2% tax cap that has more holes than cottage cheese isn't even permanent and is set to sunset in 2016. It is only going to get worse! I am so glad I am out. Let some other s-Cker pay for the early retiring 150K a year earning basketball bouncing gym teacher. Don't even get me started on the Rolls Royce driving superintendents.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
True that! And the 2% tax cap that has more holes than cottage cheese isn't even permanent and is set to sunset in 2016. It is only going to get worse! I am so glad I am out. Let some other s-Cker pay for the early retiring 150K earning basketball bouncing gym teacher.
Is it really? I thought the tax cap was a permanent thing. Well, hit don't matter none, as they say in Texas. I will be so out of here in 2016.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
The OP asked a reasonable question, "why are taxes so high," and didn't get an answer. There are many reasons for this problem, and answering your question in full is a topic worthy of a doctoral thesis. I'll start with the beginning.

<BEGIN HISTORY LESSON>

The problem began after WWII when servicemen and women were returning from the front and needed affordable housing. Developers like Levitt accommodated them by building LI starter homes that were affordable for this new middle class. Everyone in those days wanted a home with a lawn and room for their growing families.

As people moved east, multiple townships, villages and school district were established because everyone wanted to do things their way. Everyone wanted to have autonomy, unlike the way things are in NYC where services were combined.

Once these multiple civil service entities and their bureaucrats became established, the cost of providing services became more expensive. Fiefdoms and territory are things to be protected once they're entrenched, and we're still stuck with them because they refuse to consolidate.

</END HISTORY LESSON>

There's a big chapter to the story that you left out. All those people moving out to the country didn't want it to resemble the city they left in any way. They wanted only the stores they needed. They didn't want to live near businesses or industry. And if they wanted to see apartments they would have stayed in Queens. The people moving here today voice the same arguments but none of them have ever understood that the things they are running from are the things that made life more affordable. Well placed business and industry produces a wealth of tax income while only minimally demanding services. Be careful what you wish for, or demand.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:42 PM

77 posts, read 109,657 times
Quote:

</END HISTORY LESSON>

hahaha.....why though?why did prices go up?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:44 PM

77 posts, read 109,657 times
Quote:

how do know this? are you a lawyer?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Taxes are high simply because public servants on LI are overcompensated. The gym teacher in your local elementary school gets paid close to 150K to take attendance and bounce around a basketball on what is essentially a part-time schedule. If that is not a sweet gig, I don't know what is.
Maybe Gym teachers only make $55K. Would depend on experience and educational background.
There's likely no more than 10 gym teachers on the entire Island that make over 125K.
and I'm willing to wager less than 50% are breaking six figures.

15 Years on the job as an educator nets you 90K in Orange County, CA (a suburb of LA).

Why is it everywhere else has dramatically lower taxes aside from Jersey?

There's more to the equation.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Would depend on experience and educational background.
To bounce around a basketball with a bunch of 8 year olds?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Maybe Gym teachers only make $55K. Would depend on experience and educational background.
There's likely no more than 10 gym teachers on the entire Island that make over 125K.
and I'm willing to wager less than 50% are breaking six figures.
You will lose that wager. Look it up on the internet. All the information is posted complete with names, school districts, and salaries for their part time jobs. Also you will find pension amounts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island