Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
In Genesee county 500K will probably let you buy the whole county
Very funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
We're in the same situation. In the last few years we have moved from west to south from south to north and now considering LI. That is one of the places we have no idea about. We would have to be close to Bethany, NY, meaning driving distance. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start looking for a house. Home price would have to be between 500 k and 650 K, not too old since hubby isn't the most handy guy out there (does changing lightbulbs count?), some yard etc, schools are important and so is the safety in the area as we have small kids.
help
There are a lot of option I would think. Bethpage itself if nice. Plainview/Old Bethpage is nice as well, perhaps a bit more $, but a little better SD. You have a bunch of South Shore towns (on the ocean, North Shore is on the LI Sound) including Massapequa, Wantagh, Seaford, Bellmore that are close in that price range.

I think you could also go a little east into Suffolk where you generally get a little more house and land for the money...Babylon, Lindenhurst, perhaps?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:01 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
thanks so much GCguy. right now, we're about 5 hrs driving distance from long island so we will make a few trips there during our search. so scary when i seem to be searching for utopia for my kids.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM

903 posts, read 3,579,939 times
Hi. I would look into Dix hills. It has a great school district, close to parkways, lots of young families. Also, I watch the mls-I'm looking too-and there seem to be a lot of houses for sale with nice land and nice size houses. I live there now-if you want you can feel free to pm me with any questions.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Dix Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. I would look into Dix hills.

For those who may not be familiar with Dix Hills:

Named for Richard, or Dick, Pechagan, a Secatogue Indian who controlled the hilly area in colonial times, and over the years, the spelling was changed from Dick's Hills to Dix Hills, Dix Hills is a hamlet (unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the west part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown, Huntington/Islip and Huntington/Babylon town lines.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington; on the east by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line) and the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip (the Huntington/Islip town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights in the Town of Babylon (the Huntington/Babylon town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Melville and the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Dix Hills has a different border than does the "Dix Hills, NY 11746" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills and a place can have other than a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills): places that have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Dix Hills are in the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Melville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Dix Hills with a "Brentwood, NY 11717" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM

155 posts, read 458,004 times
I have recently been researching Port Washington. Its a really nice town with a nice main street that has a antique/arts section and the community is backed by the ritzy Manhasset and Sands Point areas and is part of North Hempstead school system that is one of the best if not the best on the Island. Port Washington currently has a few projects on its plate that will reconnect the community to the waterfront with new walkways and park renovations. It has some very nice restaurants and other amenities that are also desirable. It may be worth your while to take a look. Also, its just a 25 minute direct train ride into the NYC. To me it seems to be the best of two worlds, a suburban, quiet waterfront community that is also just a skip away from the big city.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I have recently been researching Port Washington.

For those who may not be familiar with Port Washington:

Previously known as Cow Bay (the NYS legislature officially changed the name to Port Washington in 1857), Port Washington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Port Washington in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Baxter Estates, the Village of Port Washington North and the Village of Sands Point; on the east by the Hempstead Harbor; on the south by the Village of Flower Hill; and, on the west by the Village of Plandome Manor and Manhasset Bay.

Port Washington is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Port Washington, NY 11050" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Port Washington are in the Village of Sands Point, the Village of Port Washington North, the Village of Manorhaven, the Village of Baxter Estates and the Village of Flower Hill.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 AM

33 posts, read 120,212 times
Try Glen Head,short commute to Garden City,good schools,very quiet.I also like Northport and St.James but are a ways to Garden City.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Glen Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoguzzi View Post
Try Glen Head,short commute to Garden City,good schools,very quiet.

For those who may not be familiar with Glen Head:

Glen Head is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northwest part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the north-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Glen Head in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the City of Glen Cove; on the east by the Village of Matinecock; on the south by the Village of Old Brookville and the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing and the Village of Sea Cliff.

Glen Head is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Glen Head, NY 11545" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Glen Head are in the Village of Matinecock, the Village of Old Brookville, the Village of Brookville, the Village of Upper Brookville, the Village of Old Westbury, the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Muttontown and the Hamlet of Glenwood Landing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Glen-head-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,854 times
rockville centre or garden city- probably more garden city though your work would be closer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island