Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowack View Post
I am interested in Blue Ridge condos in Medford. It would be a ranch unit. What repairs are included? Does it include a roof, windows, outside stucco, etc?
Maintanance includes the roof, outside walls(including the stuco), Gutters if original, and fence if original. Windows and doors are your responsibility but have to go through architectural control committee for approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 05:40 PM

25 posts, read 29,447 times
Someone who works there told me that Maintenance is no longer allowed to take on extra work, i.e., hired by a home owner. I have heard horror stories of HOA's getting out of control with the baby routines such as how many Xmas lights you can post and thus, destroy the value of a home. Are the HOA members civilized acting, or have there been changes many were unhappy with? Thanks for all the input so far.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:30 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Sears View Post
Someone who works there told me that Maintenance is no longer allowed to take on extra work, i.e., hired by a home owner. I have heard horror stories of HOA's getting out of control with the baby routines such as how many Xmas lights you can post and thus, destroy the value of a home. Are the HOA members civilized acting, or have there been changes many were unhappy with? Thanks for all the input so far.
There is a big liability problem if you do this. Plus the staff double dip. Meaning they run and fix a faucet or something for money while at same time getting paid paid by condo to do another job.

Finally some work inside a unit the condo association pays for and some they don't. The board makes that call. Opens up the board to accusations that they are getting work done for free even if they dont.

My condo we have no employees who work for us. Just snow removal and lawn service. Stuff like blacktopping, cement work are all one off things we get bids for.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
So far no huge HOA and condo board problems. Just your typical he said she said stuff . Nothing that has affected the development. No limits on christmas lights and the boards are pretty lax unless neighbors complain.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:13 PM

I've lived in apartments that had paper thin walls. The Southern Meadows where I live now (to the tune of $1800/mo. for a 1 BR) has great walls. Barking dogs, screaming babies and bad arguments can ruin things for me.

Are the walls as bad as I've been told by an employee?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I've lived in apartments that had paper thin walls. The Southern Meadows where I live now (to the tune of $1800/mo. for a 1 BR) has great walls. Barking dogs, screaming babies and bad arguments can ruin things for me.

Are the walls as bad as I've been told by an employee?
They can be but your going to get that with any connected unit. it also depends on if the interior walls have been insulated since the unit was built. Since you own the unit you could add insulation yourself or anytthing you want. When we first moved in the neighbor next to us snored like a freight train and we would hear it everynight. We added special walls with insulation and we stopped hearing it.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Then the walls are unbelievably thin if you heard that. I would imagine doing special work with insulation on your walls would run quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island