Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:46 PM

128 posts, read 234,861 times

Advertisements

Hello all
We are a Black-Latino family looking to rent a home is a good but varied neighborhood. My objective is to get our children in a good school system.
I am from Trinidad and wife is from Dominican Republic. We have been looking at some of the newer houses on Northville road sandwiched between Riverhead and Mattituck on our own (since most real estate people keep showing us homes in Riverhead)
As I was at the Mattituck LIRR train picking up my mother in law extended relations from the city this group of young men starting shouted nasty and racial words at us. We also received dirty looks going into some ratty old saloon to use the restroom.
Its this a racist area ?
-Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
If you stay in Riverhead, you'll be fine...maybe Wyandanch.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Riverhead

For those who may not be familiar with Riverhead:

Riverhead is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Riverhead, in the northeast part of Suffolk County, along the Riverhead/Southampton town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Riverhead in the Town of Riverhead is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Northville and the Hamlet of Aquebogue; on the south by the Hamlet of Riverside in the Town of Southampton (the Riverhead/Southampton Town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Calverton and the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow.

The Hamlet of Riverhead has a different border than does the "Riverhead, NY 11901" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Riverhead): places that have a "Riverhead, NY 11901" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Riverhead are in the Hamlet of Northampton, the Hamlet of Riverside and the Hamlet of Flanders in the Town of Southampton, as well as in the Hamlet of Baiting Hollow and the Hamlet of Northville in the Town of Riverhead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Wyandanch

For those who may not be familiar with Wyandanch:

Wyandanch is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north-central part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County, along the Babylon/Huntington town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington (the Babylon/Huntington town line) and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights; on the east by the Hamlet of Deer Park; on the south by the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Farmingdale.

The Hamlet of Wyandanch has a different border than does the "Wyandanch, NY 11798" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Wyandanch and a place can have other than a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Wyandanch): places that have a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Wyandanch are in the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of West Babylon and in the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Wyandanch with a "Deer Park, NY 11729", "Farmingdale, NY 11735" and "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
Hello all
We are a Black-Latino family looking to rent a home is a good but varied neighborhood. My objective is to get our children in a good school system.
I am from Trinidad and wife is from Dominican Republic. We have been looking at some of the newer houses on Northville road sandwiched between Riverhead and Mattituck on our own (since most real estate people keep showing us homes in Riverhead)
As I was at the Mattituck LIRR train picking up my mother in law extended relations from the city this group of young men starting shouted nasty and racial words at us. We also received dirty looks going into some ratty old saloon to use the restroom.
Its this a racist area ?
-Jack
If that's the response you got from a brief visit, I'd say it sure seems like it is....I've only ever been a tourist on the North Fork, it's the most beautiful area of LI but I've heard the same about it before, which is really unfortunate.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Why would you even suggest Wyandanch to someone looking for good schools on the North Fork?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

128 posts, read 234,861 times
Quote:
We are staying in Roslyn Heights dont want my kids growing up near Rednecks.
They are even in the library here.
North Fork can kiss my _ _ _ !

Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Why would you even suggest Wyandanch to someone looking for good schools on the North Fork?
Because it was GCGuy replying, Sx3-silly boy. You have been here long enough to know who is going to respond with what

Sad to say to the OP, but if the RE Agents are "steering" you to Riverhead (illegal BTW but not surprising in the least) and the kids are yelling stupid slurs at the train station at your family, then obviously the North Fork is still behind the times, though blatent racism is ALL OVER LI-just read this board.

Sad, DH is from the North Fork, and while 20-30 years ago it was a quiet, peaceful, hard-working arae, the new North Forkers have brought their ugly exlusionary, raciest, closed-minded, NIMBY ways.

Do yourself a favor, find another area to settle in. There are many fine areas with good schools that will not make you feel un-welcomed. Read between the lines of the posts on this board, determine where the poster is from, and that may lead you in the right direction.

I personally apologize as a human and an ex-LI'er for the unaccepable manner in which you and your family were treated. Disgraceful and embarrasing to the rest of us humans whom do not subscribe to that way of ass-backward thinking.

Keep your chin up and stay positive, but I would say ****-off to the North Fork, you are too good for them if that is the attitude they wallow in!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn Heights

For those who may not be familiar with Roslyn Heights:

Roslyn Heights is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west-central part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Roslyn Estates, the Village of Roslyn and the Village of East Hills; on the east by the Village of East Hills and the Village of Old Westbury; on the south by the Village of Mineola and the Village of East Williston; and, on the west by the Village of East Williston, the Hamlet of Albertson, the Hamlet of Searingtown and the Village of North Hills.

Roslyn Heights is one of those villages and hamlets communities on Long Island where many of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places with a "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights are in the Village of North Hills and the Village of East Hills; and, at the same time, there are places in Roslyn Heights that have an "Albertson, NY 11507" and a "Williston Park, NY 11596" mailing address.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,189 times
Quote:
That is one of the most racially derogatory responses I have ever read here on CD (Wyandanch?). You should have added the South Bronx or just told him he is not wanted in your world hey he won't be near you so don't worry. Sad sad stuff - why post that crap at all just keep it to yourself. Or tell him to move to Greenport would that work GCGuy in your world?

I grew up in Mattituck in the 60's and 70's and lived there in the 80's as well. Frankly I feel terrible for the OP's experience (Illegal real estate steering ug, horrible, sleep well RE agents) and don't worry about the Broken Down Valise (ratty old saloon) all losers there anyway. I don't even think rednecks have much of a stand there anymore.

But even in the 70's we all were one and I never felt that there was any difference, and everyone in those days we were all friends regardless of ethnicity and that was the great thing about living there.

So please if you are looking on the North Fork you will find more openness than most of Long Island and I hope you take another look it is a fantastic place to live, and Mattituck School is a great place to send your kids. And I still have a couple acre lots out there so I have a sense of whats going on.

GL
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island