Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up in the mid 50's 60's in a brand new very middle, middle class community, we had a lot of services neighborhood wise and we got to talking about the last night.

We had Duggan who came to the house in a big truck and rang the bell with all sorts of cakes, cookies and snacks. We had a milk man. We had Glamo-lina who brought bleach to the house. I remember him carrying glass gallon jugs with what seemed like 5 in each hand and he would put them in the basement next to the washer. We had Charles Chips, who would bring potato chips and pretzels in a large can. Some neighbors had a floor cleaner who would bring the big industrial machines to the house to put wax on the floor after using the steel wool on it to clean it.

We also had a slew of Ice Cream trucks in the neighborhood. Good Humor, Bungalow Bar, Judy Ann and of course, Mr. Softee. We had a knife sharpener, whose would drive around the neighborhood and the bell on the truck would ring to let you know he was around. My mom also used to call NY Telephone and they would come in and swap out the phone for free. I remember, the white phone would yellow and she would call them and say the phone discolored and they would come and bring a new phone.

Anybody else recall these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I loved the knife/scissor sharpening man. His vehicle was most interesting. Looked like a gypsy wagon.

Don't forget the Fuller Brush man.

I really miss the Good Humor trucks...........sigh............

Old 01-27-2015, 09:12 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I loved the knife/scissor sharpening man. His vehicle was most interesting. Looked like a gypsy wagon.

Don't forget the Fuller Brush man.

I really miss the Good Humor trucks...........sigh............
You NAILED the knife truck. Totally forgot about the Fuller Brush man which also brings to mind, the Lighthouse for the blind who sold brooms and mops.

Good post.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
We had Milk Delivery, Good Humor, Charles Chips; Electrolux came to the house along with the Avon Lady. My moms one luxury was a laundry service who did the towels & sheets bringing back everything tied up in a brown paper package just like the diaper service did and she had a person who came a few times a year to strip & wax the floors wit commercial equipment. Telephones back then were leased not owned so when a problem occurred you would call them and they would swap it out....

Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
I remember the knife guy from growing up in Queens in the 70's. Love it. If anyone here grew up in Queens (Flushing area).

Do you remember the Chow Chow truck? Our Mister Softee guy was great! Actually remembered my birthday every year. Miss him! His son took over for him I was told in 2000. Wonder if he is still around now. Hope so.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:37 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Use to love all the rides that used to come around too!! They were great. The 70's were a great time to be a kid. Things are so different now.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:03 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
We used to get Charles chips, seltzer in glass bottles, I remember this old Italian guy who came around in a knife sharpening truck ringing his bell. My grandparents used to get Hammer soda delivered. I grew up in Queens (Glendale) and remember bungalow bar, the good humor man, not the bogus Circus man Ice cream trucks you see now. How about shaved Ice with flavored syrup on top. Like a snow cone but better IMO. How about when Avon ladies actually knocked on your door selling products, fuller brush man too.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:45 PM

562 posts, read 1,057,924 times
I'm too young for all of these, but always enjoy hearing family wax nostalgic about them. It's why the Vermont Country Store catalog must do so well.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:09 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
My dad tells me stories about the ice truck. He's only in his eighties, but he said during ww2 if your refrigerator stopped working you couldn't buy a new one and you just put ice in it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Our pediatrician in Setauket used to make house calls.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: