Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times

Advertisements

Most of these corporate jobs (that require less than 3 years experience) DO NOT want to pay over $36k a year tops; even on the higher levels, it is not much better at all. You really have to trek all the way out to Manhattan for something decent and this is especially strenuous for most who live in Suffolk County. The only field that I can think of where most get paid fairly is the medical field.

I can understand if this was Nebraska, Buffalo or Mississippi; but not a region where property taxes on a run-down tiny house can easily exceed $12,000 a year. And the rents for a LEGAL apartment almost all start $1,200/mo....let's see how well you can do paying that on $15/hr.

Sickening..

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 01-30-2015 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM

189 posts, read 345,201 times
welcome to long island

Old 01-30-2015, 08:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,132 times
Because the corporations want more for themselves and less for everyone else. That's why they use their media to bash UNIONS and anyone receiving a livable wage with a pensions and benefits.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,071,903 times
Long Island has a terrible local economy because NYC gets the lions share.
Little solution unfortunately until people en masse decide to not take jobs or unionize.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:52 PM

186 posts, read 217,587 times
That's why I want to move off Long Island. Too espensive and low wages. I would rather move to Tampa or St Petersburg.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:03 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,012 times
Wow. Blame the corporations, blame NYC, blame the world. Long Island, look in the mirror. Your corruption and unsustainable pensions are chasing business and young people away. Luckily, I was able to vote with my feet and move to a place where property taxes aren't $15,000 a year. It's hard to compete in the global economy when you are paying the local gym teacher $100K a year with fully funded health care and early retirements to bounce around a basketball with 8 year olds. How many of your neighbors are concerned with what is going on with Shelly Silverthief and the three amigos in Albany and are more concerned with deflategate and Kris Jenner's sex change? The corruption on the local level is just as bad if not worse and nobody cares, they just line up like sheep and vote for the same corrupt pols and school budgets.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
can't disagree with you. it is all fact..but it is the entire tristate area as well. there are plenty of jobs that pay more than 36k but they require skills many new Yorkers lack.

I have worked with folks in outside sales where I work who were outside sales people making 200k plus.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
We made around 36k each out of school back in 2000 and bought a starter house 2 years later. Sure it's not a lot, but it grows with experience and changing jobs (worthwhile fields). Back then the economy and job market were A LOT better. Do you really expect it to be better now with so many applicants, more workforce supply than demand?

Is it any wonder 1 in 5 adult children have to go back to live with parents while working - how else do you save? This and many other areas are not automatically affordable to just anyone who wishes it so, with random degrees and little effort put in. Dual income is likely for the majority of homes in our area.

OP, are you expecting to support living in a place all on your own? What is your age/field? With less than 3 years of experience, you are typically young and have room for growth. Just don't expect to be where everyone else is right off the bat.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-31-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 08:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Most of these corporate jobs (that require less than 3 years experience) DO NOT want to pay over $36k a year tops; even on the higher levels, it is not much better at all. You really have to trek all the way out to Manhattan for something decent and this is especially strenuous for most who live in Suffolk County. The only field that I can think of where most get paid fairly is the medical field.

I can understand if this was Nebraska, Buffalo or Mississippi; but not a region where property taxes on a run-down tiny house can easily exceed $12,000 a year. And the rents for a LEGAL apartment almost all start $1,200/mo....let's see how well you can do paying that on $15/hr.

Sickening..

Perhaps you need to rethink your approach. No where is it written that the cost of housing in the local area is tied to wages. Often times you will see, "salary commensurate with experience", not once have I seen, "salary commensurate with cost of housing." No pain, no gain. I speak from experience, I rode the Oyster Bay line for 20 years to get a better paying job in NYC.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Unfortunately a lot of lesser known but well paying jobs have moved off Long Island. I worked for a major insurance carrier that had many small satellite offices on LI. In the late 1990s they consolidated us into 2 big offices. Then they moved a whole bunch of people upstate - those people made out like bandits, sold at the absolute height of the market and paid cash for homes in a nice area between Albany and Saratoga. Since then they have dwindled down to a few people on LI who are hanging by a thread. Most of those people are now approaching their 50s and I bet will be offered a buyout soon. But it was a well paying job with excellent benefits. Most of the other insurance companies I temped for after that have abandoned LI as well.

And, to reinforce the point that nuts made, the salary differential between LI and other far cheaper places can be negligible When I started at that aforementioned carrier we had to go away to training at the corporate office and met people from all over the country. The kid who sat next to me in class was from a podunk town in SC and he made $3000 a year less than me. That's hardly a cost of living adjustment when I worked in Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island