Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 04:07 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
It's a ball toss game.

Everyone starts by standing normally, and you toss a ball back and forth to each other. If you miss the ball, you have to cross your legs. If you miss the ball again, you have to stand with your feet as wide apart as they can go. The next position is on your knees, then Indian style, then finally, flat on your back. Each position is varying degrees of "sickness" (making it harder to catch the ball), and then if you miss it while you're lying down, you're dead and out of the game. The last person in the game wins.
That actually sounds like it would be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Buck Buck (Philadelphia Only?)
Halfies (Pimple ball and broom stick)
Wall Ball (Same as above but fielder caught ricochet from wall to put out runners.)
DeadMan (bottle cap version of marbles game - May be called Skully in NYC)
C.H.I.N.K. (Version of handball - Probably not PC - site will not allow me to spell it without dots.)
H.O.R.S.E. (basketball)
Tops (of course)
Pom-Pom (everyone on one side of field, one person "it" in the middle, kids run to other side on the field at "Pom-Pom" call, IT must grab and hold for a five count and now there are two "it", game continues until one person not it... King of the field.)
King of the Hill (everyone should know)
Kick ball (everyone should know)

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-02-2015 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
SPUD
Statues
King of the Mountain

We used to jump off the shed in one kid's backyard and play in the bed of the truck of another's pickup. I had a metal swing set and one of my friends got clocked in the head with the brick of a swing, split his head open. My mom took him to the hospital, he got stitched up and that was that. We all moved on.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
SPUD
Statues
King of the Mountain

We used to jump off the shed in one kid's backyard and play in the bed of the truck of another's pickup. I had a metal swing set and one of my friends got clocked in the head with the brick of a swing, split his head open. My mom took him to the hospital, he got stitched up and that was that. We all moved on.
I forgot about this one too. I always had great balance and that helped when we played statues.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I wrote a thread about this documentary on the NYC forum when it aired on channel 13.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC3M2WNu23U

stickball
punchball
potsie
heel
varous jumprope games
waffleball

Old 02-02-2015, 05:51 PM

Coney,

You reminded me of Double Dutch jump rope.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Buck Buck (Philadelphia Only?)
Halfies (Pimple ball and broom stick)
Wall Ball (Same as above but fielder caught ricochet from wall to put out runners.)
DeadMan (bottle cap version of marbles game - May be called Skully in NYC)
C.H.I.N.K. (Version of handball - Probably not PC - site will not allow me to spell it without dots.)
H.O.R.S.E. (basketball)
Tops (of course)
Pom-Pom (everyone on one side of field, one person "it" in the middle, kids run to other side on the field at "Pom-Pom" call, IT must grab and hold for a five count and now there are two "it", game continues until one person not it... King of the field.)
King of the Hill (everyone should know)
Kick ball (everyone should know)

Was that the game using a tree or telephone pole?? If so....nope, not Philly only.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
Was that the game using a tree or telephone pole?? If so....nope, not Philly only.
That's the one!

Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I have to correct my typo from my earlier post. It's not "waffleball," but rather wiffle ball. I guess you could play waffleball at any pancake house.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:21 AM

17 posts, read 35,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
S.p.u.d.
OH man SPUD! I forgot that game existed!

We used to play Monkey In the Middle. And somehow I always ended up the monkey!

In camp, we used to play kickball, red rover, red light green light.

When we went to Caumsette for a field trip, we played this game called Blob. It's like tag, but when you tag someone you hold their hand and you then tag someone else, who then holds your hand. And you become this running team. It was so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island