Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:07 AM

37 posts, read 99,026 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I know this has been discussed before, however I am looking for some information about the Bethpage Toxic Plume. Just went into contract on a house in Old Bethpage & I knew about the plume but never knew how serious it was. Now I'm sick knowing how dangerous it can be to my family. Does anyone know about what is being done to remedy it? The air quality in neighboring towns? I'm worried, just if anyone knows anything that would be appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,392,915 times
There is another thread on this, posted about a month ago.

IMO, it's a bunch of hype, but others swear it exists so do your research and make the choice you think is right for you & family.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
but others swear it exists .
You think the plume DOESNT exist? It's one thing to say you don't believe in any ill effects coming from plume but another to say you don't believe it's actually there.

OP this is the biggest purchase of your life. You should be 100% sure of and comfortable with problems that can't be changed with your location.

The plume IS there. The thread Jdawg mentioned has plenty of links.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,392,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You think the plume DOESNT exist? It's one thing to say you don't believe in any ill effects coming from plume but another to say you don't believe it's actually there.

OP this is the biggest purchase of your life. You should be 100% sure of and comfortable with problems that can't be changed with your location.

The plume IS there. The thread Jdawg mentioned has plenty of links.
I think that there is no way anyone can prove the effects are from the plume. There are too many other factors that come to play. Pretty much everything is causing cancer these days.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
You said people "swear it exists" which implies you don't believe it even exists.

MHO common sense should dictate you don't buy a house over or downstream from a plume...but that's just me.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Old Bethpage has its own Superfund sites outside of the Grumman plume.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM

413 posts, read 599,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think that there is no way anyone can prove the effects are from the plume. There are too many other factors that come to play. Pretty much everything is causing cancer these days.

Everything doesn't cause cancer. Toxic chemicals however, do.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 AM

537 posts, read 1,449,311 times
Old Bethpage is far enough away from the Bethpage plume. If anything home buyers are not concerned because Old Bethpage real estate is super hot right now. Anything that is priced even halfway decent is gone immediately.

Trust me when I say if you don't want that house, somebody else will. That's your call.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM

37 posts, read 99,026 times
Thx to all u guys for writing! I know it does exist! The house we are in contract on is north of the plume however, Google can be misguided information. I would lose $$ obviously bc we would pull out of a binding contract. Just am sick over knowing being north of it is a problem too!!?? I would get my water from bethpage water district, I've read they have remedied the problem!? I know I'm asking total strangers for their honest opinions & I respect all of them, my head is just all turned around!

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM

413 posts, read 599,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alie621 View Post
Thx to all u guys for writing! I know it does exist! The house we are in contract on is north of the plume however, Google can be misguided information. I would lose $$ obviously bc we would pull out of a binding contract. Just am sick over knowing being north of it is a problem too!!?? I would get my water from bethpage water district, I've read they have remedied the problem!? I know I'm asking total strangers for their honest opinions & I respect all of them, my head is just all turned around!
Can't say what's best and I don't even know what I'd do, but from the maps the plume is definitely running south towards Great South Bay and not North. Old Bethpage is pretty nice in general. You'll be fine. If not we're all on the same Titanic anyway so the plume won't matter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island