Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Really, then why are so many people with children running off to places where they can buy a large single family home at a much lower cost?
That's exactly my point. People can't afford the region, so move elsewhere.

The region isn't building enough housing for the demand, and NIMBYs stop multifamily from being built. Just look at the incredibly ignorant comments on this thread, complaining about imaginary Sec 8 when 2 bedroom apartments in Flushing now cost the same as a nice home on the North Shore.

The world has changed, but some ignorant people are stuff caught up in the 1960's mindset of "multifamily = poor people" when it's actually where most of the rich live nowadays. There's a ton more wealthy in Manhattan than anywhere else in the U.S., and it's the most urban, multifamily-oriented place in the U.S.

And the best performing LI communities are those welcoming multifamily. Places like Great Neck are performing MUCH better than places like Dix Hills, specifically because they are more urban, multifamily communities with walkability and transit. Look at home value trends over the last few years, and the more urban parts of LI absolutely kill the more sprawly parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 08:32 PM

622 posts, read 852,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

The region isn't building enough housing for the demand, and NIMBYs stop multifamily from being built. Just look at the incredibly ignorant comments on this thread, complaining about imaginary Sec 8 when 2 bedroom apartments in Flushing now cost the same as a nice home on the North Shore.

The world has changed, but some ignorant people are stuff caught up in the 1960's mindset of "multifamily = poor people" when it's actually where most of the rich live nowadays. There's a ton more wealthy in Manhattan than anywhere else in the U.S., and it's the most urban, multifamily-oriented place in the U.S.

And the best performing LI communities are those welcoming multifamily. Places like Great Neck are performing MUCH better than places like Dix Hills, specifically because they are more urban, multifamily communities with walkability and transit. Look at home value trends over the last few years, and the more urban parts of LI absolutely kill the more sprawly parts.
I think many people moved to LI to escape the ultra-dense, congested, and dumpy 'urban' areas like Queens.

Fast-forward to today, from 40 years ago, and yes, Queens is very desirable, as the very gold coast of northwestern Nassau, but there are very different fundamentals at work. For one thing, Nassau and Suffolk are both bankrupting their suburban residents with regressive taxes, fees and surcharges. It's no longer cheaper to live on Long Island than it is in the city, between property taxes, homeowner's insurance, energy and commutation costs (all of which are out of hand on LI). And with the onerous public unions (cops and teachers), very little tax revenue makes it back to the infrastructure. This means those crumbling streets I grew up on in Queens as a child are probably no worse than those in my town here on LI today. So, why not move to Queens or Great Neck. As LI urbanizes with high-density housing, congestion grows on those broken roads and it gets tougher and tougher to commute. And so that's why a two bedroom in Bayside now sells for $750k.

As far as affordable housing on LI goes, until the local economy goes bust (which I'd say will happen in our lifetimes), those high-density units will rent for a small fortune. Sure, there's a fraction of a percentage that needs to be Section 8 (hence the fears of Welfare families), but really the latest Avalon developments are renting in the $2500-4000/mo range. Very affordable, right?

And like NYC, LI is becoming very much an island of extremes. THe biggest business in my county is turning what were once 2nd rate hotels/motels into homeless family shelters for families from other states. My county makes money by providing social services to the federal government. Great!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Exactly 1 person mentioned section 8 and they may not even be affected here. We are. I have my NIMBY reasons as stated above and it has nothing to do with low income residents. No one at the meetings brings that up. Multi-family will bring in more kids to the schools here that are doing well, making teacher:students ratio WORSE. Why would we want that when we are paying through the nose to be here? Please tell me.

You want to build multi-family, do it somewhere where they do not care about their schools. In your Brooklyn or Manhattan examples, they don't care about public schools like here, nor do they pay upwards of $10k/yr for school taxes.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-11-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 AM

332 posts, read 613,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Exactly 1 person mentioned section 8 and they aren't even going to be affected here. We are. I have my NIMBY reasons as stated above and it has nothing to do with low income residents. No one at the meetings brings that up. Multi-family will bring in more kids to the schools that are doing well, making students:teachers ratio WORSE. Why would we want that when we are paying through the nose to be here?

You want to build multi-family, do it somewhere where they do not care about their schools. In your Brooklyn or Manhattan examples, you neglected to talk about public schools.

If you have more taxpaying multifamily homes, you can afford more teachers in your district to keep the class size down.

People want to move where their kids can go to a good school, but cannot afford a standalone single family home. Isn't this option better than illegal apartments where they do not pay property tax?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:08 AM

570 posts, read 1,215,110 times
It's not as simple as hiring more teachers to keep class size down. How many districts on LI have added NEW school buildings to house an increase in student population these days? Probably none. They say most districts are losing enrollment right now with a few exceptions. So if a developer builds a multifamily complex, so-called affordable housing (not Senior) then the district has to absorb any children that move in. Depending on the size of the complex, that could be a huge increase in students that the district will have trouble finding room for.

Most developers do offer a one-time payment, in my experience, to a district to help offset the added cost of more students, however, it is never enough, especially over time. If a district can't house all the kids, then constructing another school, if there is even property available to do that, is necessary. That one-time payment doesn't cover that cost by any means. A district might luck out if it has any closed buildings from years past that it could re-open for a new school - but even then, it has to be brought up to code and fixed and re-supplied. Again, that one-time payment isn't going to cover the whole cost.

My town is gung-ho right now with building apartments in the village area - and they are not affordable by any means. We'll see how many kids are added to the school rolls. Class size is important, and with the way the state has been taking away aid left and right, it makes it very difficult to provide the education that is also demanded by the state at the same time. Hopefully, our legislators will get the Gap Elimination Adjustment ended ASAP!

Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
If you have more taxpaying multifamily homes, you can afford more teachers in your district to keep the class size down.
Our elementary schools are now grades 1-4. K for the entire district had to move to its own part of one building in one of the elementary schools. There was talk about moving K back to each school but there simply is no room. Now you want to add more teachers and put them into what available classrooms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
People want to move where their kids can go to a good school, but cannot afford a standalone single family home. Isn't this option better than illegal apartments where they do not pay property tax?
First, there are very few, if any, illegal rentals here that affect us negatively in that way. I'd guess that applies for most good school districts. I'm going to take what NOLA said:

Quote:
There are other more affordable areas with decent schools. Of course you'd be giving up other things - you get what you pay for in most cases. We sacrifice too. Don't be entitled.

Quote:
I forgot to comment on this earlier. The bolded part - just NO. Urban, walkability, and transit has nothing to do with how the kids in school perform. It's about the demographics there.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-11-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 11:18 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:

Great Neck Schools in the 1970s were much higher rated and property taxes were much lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island