Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 PM

65 posts, read 149,744 times

Advertisements

Long story short, after 3 scheduled closings that seller was unable/not willing to attend, as well as the Time of Essence deadline passed, the seller is officially in default as of Tuesday this upcoming week. The reason for this is the seller's ex-wife is being crazy and not moving out of the house even though she was served with court order and will be held in contempt if she doesn't move out by Tue.

So my question is the following:

On Tue, when we go to the final closing date (without a walkthrough as the house was not vacated) and are unwilling to close (because house is not vacated) what are the steps? My closing attorney told us he doesn't have a stenographer. We have to hire one? or he has to bring one? We have not yet hired a litigation attorney (although we did decide to pursue the seller in court).

This has caused us incredible amount of heartache and hardship and monetary costs. For each failed closing, we took days off work and as we are doctors, we lost thousands of dollars in income. We also had many other expenses.

Can someone recommend a litigation attorney specializing in Real Estate breaches of contract, as well as tell us about their experiences in situations like this.

Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Hate to sound simplistic but is your attorney a RE attorney? Can't he tell you how to proceed?

Edited to add: Hope you are aware that if this goes to litigation, you may well be in for a very long drawn out process.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-08-2015 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: added comment

Old 02-08-2015, 01:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hate to sound simplistic but is your attorney a RE attorney? Can't he tell you how to proceed?

Edited to add: Hope you are aware that if this goes to litigation, you may well be in for a very long drawn out process.
The average RE attorney is not a litigator

Old 02-08-2015, 03:15 PM

exactly, he's not a litigation attorney and he's not from nassau county (we are not as well) so he's especially not willing to do litigation. He advised me to hire one. I am also on my own to get a stenographer for Tue who will confirm that contract was breached. so Desperately need advice and names of great attorneys

Old 02-08-2015, 03:17 PM

also need help in how to deal with the seller's agent who did NOT disclose that the sellers were going through tough divorce (only disclosed the fact after the contract was signed). She also scheduled a walkthrough (3rd time) last Monday and never showed up. We stood by the house for 1 hour waiting for her. Finally reached her and she said woman didn't move out. She didn't bother to at least cancel. Does this type of behavior violate ethical RE standards?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
also need help in how to deal with the seller's agent who did NOT disclose that the sellers were going through tough divorce (only disclosed the fact after the contract was signed). She also scheduled a walkthrough (3rd time) last Monday and never showed up. We stood by the house for 1 hour waiting for her. Finally reached her and she said woman didn't move out. She didn't bother to at least cancel. Does this type of behavior violate ethical RE standards?
If the seller's agent HAD disclosed that this was a divorce situation, she would have violated ethical standards. Did you have your own agent or did you work with the listing agent directly?

The fact that she stood you up for the walk through is unprofessional behavior (not to be confused with unethical behavior). You could complain to her broker/manager either by phone or in writing; the written word lasts longer...

Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
exactly, he's not a litigation attorney and he's not from nassau county (we are not as well) so he's especially not willing to do litigation. He advised me to hire one. I am also on my own to get a stenographer for Tue who will confirm that contract was breached. so Desperately need advice and names of great attorneys
Will send you a DM with a referral.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

I'm sorry I should have been clearer in my response as obviously it was misunderstood. I know the RE attorney is not a litigator, but I would think as a RE attorney he/she would have experience in this type of thing so as to be able to assist you with navigating this and possibly recommending a litigator and a court reporter. In addition we also did not know that he/she was not in Nassau county, which also contributes to the problem.

The name I am familiar with as far as court reporters go is Diamond Court Reporters.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 PM

Actually, Nuts2uiam, your guess is completely wrong. Yes, we own in Nassau county (inherited property) but we don't live there for work reasons. Is that not possible?! Duh, could it be that we rent out our property? Not possible on the planet you live on?? Now that we are in contract and looking to move back, we are in this situation....but wait a minute:

I see absolutely no need to explain myself or my posts to you. You are NO ONE to me. And as of this minute, you've been added to ignore list and I won't ever see your posts. You think I'm a troll, move on to another post. The difference between me and you is I come here to post when I have questions pertaining to my situation, while you sit here all day analyzing people's posts, history of posts, and posting unnecessary BS. Get a life.

@Elke Mariotti - thank you for your response. I understand about the R/E agent and I would also greatly appreciate a Litigation Attorney referral. I will know by tomorrow if the seller will officially breach the contract as tom is the TOE day. Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Quote:
Does this mean you had a buyers agent and were not dealing with the sellers agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island