Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,402 times

Advertisements

The below is a list of areas in Nassau County me and my wife are considering to buy a house in. We are upper middle class professionals currently living in Queens. Thoughts on whether you think we should avoid any of the below in terms of quality of schools, crime, commute to city, vibrancy of community, etc.? Budget would be $400-$800K . These are areas which we have heard are safe bets. Thanks so much.

Plainview
East Meadow
Franklin Square
Garden City
Malverne
Manhasset
Old Westbury
Great Neck
Jericho
Roslyn
Brookville
Old Brookville
Sands Point
Woodbury
Syosset
New Hyde Park
Oyster Bay
Port Washington
Merrick
Massapequa
Massapequa Park
Rockville Centre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 02:26 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
For the most part, the places you selected hit your mark to a varying degree. To better help you, can you prioritize the importance of the considerations you wrote about. For example, if you commute to NYC, chances are you are not going to want to live in Oyster Bay, unless you wish to drive to Syosset to get a train. Some of the communities are going to be tough on and $800k budget. What about diversity? For example Great Neck is largely Jewish and Asian. If you can narrow this down a bit it might be easier to suggest a location.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:34 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight727 View Post
The below is a list of areas in Nassau County me and my wife are considering to buy a house in. We are upper middle class professionals currently living in Queens. Thoughts on whether you think we should avoid any of the below in terms of quality of schools, crime, commute to city, vibrancy of community, etc.? Budget would be $400-$800K . Thanks so much.

Plainview
East Meadow
Franklin Square
Garden City
Malverne
Manhasset
Old Westbury
Great Neck
Jericho
Roslyn
Brookville
Old Brookville
Sands Point
Woodbury
Syosset
New Hyde Park
Oyster Bay
Port Washington
Merrick
Massapequa
Massapequa Park
Rockville Centre
I had a detailed response addressing each town but when I went to post, City-Data gobbled it up..so here is my short version. All of these towns are good, I would question why Bellmore didn't make the list. or Mineola (great LIRR access).?

My only concern is some towns would be on the upper end of that 800K range. Particularly Sands Point which has average houses in the 800-1.2 million dollar range. Sands Point is considered the "most expensive" part of Port Washington. Old Westbury, Old Brookville and Brookville are also very expensive - over 800K for decent homes. Also LIRR access would not be so great since you are limited to Oyster Bay LIRR line (which has the most issues w delays/cancellations).

Other towns that would force you to stay in the $600K and up range is Great Neck, Jericho, Syosset, Woodbury, Roslyn and Manhasset. Jericho has the best school district but as a co-worker told me who just moved there "I think my non-Asian kid isnt going to suceed in the schools because the environment may be too competitive for him". Oyster Bay - prob same as Locust Valley except properties tend to vary a lot as lower priced homes are fixer uppers or located in commercial areas. Oyster Bay LIRR is crappiest, IMHO. You might as well check out East Norwich which I think has a nicer selection of homes.

Port Washington has the best LIRR line (no Jamaica transfer) but there is 1 road in and out which causes local traffic jams at peak rush hour (Port Wash Blvd). This would annoy me if I didnt want to sit in local traffic.

Midshore : Garden City - best of almost everything except its a very small area that borders Hempstead (one of the most crime-ridden areas of Nassau county). Homes are very cute albeit not huge unless you go over700K for the extra space and garages. Some streets are better than others, and community has a small town vibe which is a draw. Also taxes are low(er) because of proximity to industry and the mall. Major con for me is the overnight parking rules (cops ticket cars left on streets between 2-8 am).

As to south shore - Rockville Centre, Merrick and Bellmore are among the top 3 towns my husband and I are looking at (our budget is similar except we want to stay under $600K). Only "con" to RVC is that homes tend to be on smaller plots of land (lots of McMansions sitting on tiny acres with small garage/yards). Merrick has lots of great sized homes with 2 car garages in the 400-600K range, if you are willing to go up to 800K, you can even land some new construction.

Franklin Sq/New Hyde Park: tends to remind me of Queens with narrow streets, smaller homes (mostly Colonials). NHP seems to have many North Shore LIJ workers too (doctors, nurses, hospital workers, interns, etc) so that may be a draw for some people or a negative. Some residential streets of Franklin Square also make me think "OMG Archie Bunker" type houses..

East Meadow: watch for many homes only have oil heat and no gas service in streets. Gas heat is cheaper than Oil. However, what you pay 600K for in Roslyn will get you the same space (sq feet) in East Meadow for 400K. Lots of "open concept" kitchens and home styles are Ranch/Split. I saw a few open houses in East Meadow and really liked the layout of many homes (all rooms on main level) but the majority of them were Oil heat or had converted garages (ie garage converted into extra bedroom). Another con is LIRR access is far - need to drive to Hicksville or Bellmore LIRR station.

Mass Park/Massapequa: not in our radar because I think its too far on the Babylon LIRR line (about 55-60 min commute door to door to Penn Station).

Disclaimer: these are just my personal opinions on the towns as a prospective buyer, I grew up in Queens and have lived in Nassau county since 2008-2009. I am sure there will be disagreement on some of the above, lol.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 02-10-2015 at 02:51 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 02:38 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
You forgot Glen Head which is North Shore schools and more affordable than Old Brookville.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknight727 View Post
The below is a list of areas in Nassau County me and my wife are considering to buy a house in. We are upper middle class professionals currently living in Queens. Thoughts on whether you think we should avoid any of the below in terms of quality of schools, crime, commute to city, vibrancy of community, etc.? Budget would be $400-$800K . These are areas which we have heard are safe bets. Thanks so much.

Plainview
East Meadow
Franklin Square
Garden City
Malverne
Manhasset
Old Westbury
Great Neck
Jericho
Roslyn
Brookville
Old Brookville
Sands Point
Woodbury
Syosset
New Hyde Park
Oyster Bay
Port Washington
Merrick
Massapequa
Massapequa Park
Rockville Centre
By what process are Merrick, Massapequa and Massapequa Park included but not Bellmore, Wantagh and Seaford?

Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
By what process are Merrick, Massapequa and Massapequa Park included but not Bellmore, Wantagh and Seaford?
Seaford and Wantagh are probably the best because they have a BUFFER zones of decent villages on all sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island