Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 02:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4longNY View Post
These are the reasons I left.
Say "hi" to the infamous Anthony family and the other big losers who always seem to be ending up in cities like Orlando (or really any other place in Florida for that matter). I also hope you go everywhere with a pistol strapped to you (in case you run into George Zimmerman) or at least have 1 or 2 in the glove box of your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Isn't it ironic how you started this thread which is about LEAVING TO LIVE ON MARS ... and then the Ex-Pat Vortex starts to spin wildly with all their "I'm so glad I'm off horrible old LI and my McMansion is bigger than the house I had on LI" talk that they vomit constantly on this forum.

People, we are supposed to be discussing moving from Long Island to Mars (as in the planet Mars)!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4longNY View Post
In 2020 all SCPD will earn 200k as a BASE SALARY. That is without benefits or OT, etc.

Good Luck with that.
Wrong:

When holiday pay, longevity pay, anticipated overtime pay and other forms of compensation are added to the new top base pay of $149,238, a veteran patrol officer could make somewhere between $195,186 and $201,902 by June 1, 2020, PBA president Noel DiGerolamo said.

And

When longevity pay for being on the force for 15 years, holiday pay, an average of 225 hours of overtime annually, a uniform allowance and differential pay for either working a rotating shift or a midnight shift are added in, an officer would reach $195,186 and $201,902 levels.

Also that first deal was scaled back a bit after the initial public blowback. In addition that salary only applied to current hires at the time. Anyone hired from 2013 on now has to wait 12 years until top pay (instead of 5) which is 111,506 (more than half way to retirement) That was the trade off.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Many high paid employees, some loading up on their last years to boost their pension is an issue. How many are contributing to their pension and how much?
Those were the laws of the older pension tiers.

The new hires now can only use there base pay without overtime for retirement while also paying into pensions and healthcare.

Meanwhile, Wall Street and Big banks continues to bilk the middle class.

But lets blame those evil civil service workers.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Cops should get zero overtime. If you look at the definition of a exempt vs non exempt employee. Most private firms take all employees with a college degree off overtime once they hit 100K base.

And many other employees take a five day work week and do 8 hours min wage and 16 hours time and a half of min wage and if the employees makes more in a day they take them off the clock. As long as once they are off the clock even if they worked 24 hours in an emergency and it meets min wage you are safe.

My neighbor who retired in his 40s as a Nassau cop used to work a three day 12 hour work day. Since he left home in a cops uniform with a gun even in his private car the clock started the moment he turned the key, so day shift was 7-7. Then he had some turn over in those days with cop on other ship so he got 1/2 OT every day. So he worked three days a week. Everyone who takes LIRR to city works 7-7 if you count commute five days a week.

And he got six weeks vacation, two weeks hollidays and always bang a few sick days. so he worked 42 weeks a year after that at three days a week. That is a 126 days a year.

A person who works five days a week with two weeks vacation and two weeks holidays/personal days would work 240 days a year. .

Oh boy you're such a loser....If you more spent of your time trying to improve your financial situation or made different choices in life you wouldn't be sitting around crunching numbers of someone else's job.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes......

Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
We're minting millionaire cops in patrol cars. Many cops are raking in $250K with overtime, .
...and how many hundreds of hours were they not at home with their families working overtime?

I have a buddy who is a plumber in the city who made $350,000 last year. He worked thousands of hours away from his family in ghetto housing projects. Do I sit around and complain that he made more than me? No!

The reason these employees make more OT if because local governments and agencies DO NOT HIRE ENOUGH EMPLOYEES! You act like these people are not working! They are working thousands of hours away from their families!

Its so true what George Carlin said a few years back. The RICH keep the lower and middle class fighting with each other while the rich keep running to the bank. So true!

Old 02-17-2015, 07:19 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
...and how many hundreds of hours were they not at home with their families working overtime?

I have a buddy who is a plumber in the city who made $350,000 last year. He worked thousands of hours away from his family in ghetto housing projects. Do I sit around and complain that he made more than me? No!

The reason these employees make more OT if because local governments and agencies DO NOT HIRE ENOUGH EMPLOYEES! You act like these people are not working! They are working thousands of hours away from their families!

Its so true what George Carlin said a few years back. The RICH keep the lower and middle class fighting with each other while the rich keep running to the bank. So true!
I don't have to hire your buddy the plumber. If I want a plumber, I have a choice and can find one that doesn't gouge me. I'm moving away from here to escape being gouged by the likes of you and your overpaid cronies.

You can keep LI for yourselves and suck your bloated salaries out of each other.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:34 AM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Quote:
Those were the laws of the older pension tiers.

The new hires now can only use there base pay without overtime for retirement while also paying into pensions and healthcare.

Meanwhile, Wall Street and Big banks continues to bilk the middle class.

But lets blame those evil civil service workers.
I know it is a common theme that Wall Street and Big Banks screw the middle class. Could you please explain how? I have no accounts with banks, instead use credit unions. I have some retirement funds invested in mutual funds that have done well for me, which is really important as I have no pension.

On the other hand, I can directly see the effect unchecked civil service costs have on my finances as I pay my ever increasing property taxes. So, it seems that civil service workers are more involved in the worsening financial plight of the private sector middle class on LI.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:18 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:

Oh, and by the way. Millionaire cops raking in $250K ARE RICH, they're the 1% George Carlin warned us about. The taxes we're forced to pay here are more directly responsible for homeowner distress than the banks, Wall Street or any of your other favorite targets to deflect blame.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:30 AM

138 posts, read 164,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I moving to LI in a few months. Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Moving to LI? Yes, you are a dumbo indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island