Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 AM

186 posts, read 243,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'm always amazed at the right-wing reactionary views spewed by public sector workers against those who need help, while they lap up a lion's share of taxpayer-funded largesse. In other words, they're conservative except when it applies to them.

It's a two way street. I know very liberal left wingers (close friends and family) who spout their liberalism while living in posh communities and would fight tooth and nail to keep a "soup kitchen" out of their neighborhood.

If people want to spout their views then put your money where your mouth is and move to Brownsville and East New York. Not a chance baby, I rather spout my liberal views in a nice secure home and neighborhood and keep those "undesirable" and "lowlife" under class voting democrats who eat at soup kitchens away from my high and mighty Democrat life style.

I'm not beating up on the left I'm just making a point that liberals want to protect their REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT just like a conservative wants to protect their REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT.

We live in a cruel world people and whether you want to admit it or not there is a stigma that soup kitchens bring.

Is it real, is it imagined? that's for the community to decide and come to grips with.

It's nobody's business to decide for this community. The community will determine what happens in their community.

If you feel so strongly that this soup kitchen should happen, then petition your local gov't and put one next door so you can walk over and help out in your community. Not five blocks away, right next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIHR View Post
It's a two way street. I know very liberal left wingers (close friends and family) who spout their liberalism while living in posh communities and would fight tooth and nail to keep a "soup kitchen" out of their neighborhood.

If people want to spout their views then put your money where your mouth is and move to Brownsville and East New York. Not a chance baby, I rather spout my liberal views in a nice secure home and neighborhood and keep those "undesirable" and "lowlife" under class voting democrats who eat at soup kitchens away from my high and mighty Democrat life style.

I'm not beating up on the left I'm just making a point that liberals want to protect their REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT just like a conservative wants to protect their REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT.

We live in a cruel world people and whether you want to admit it or not there is a stigma that soup kitchens bring.

Is it real, is it imagined? that's for the community to decide and come to grips with.

It's nobody's business to decide for this community. The community will determine what happens in their community.

If you feel so strongly that this soup kitchen should happen, then petition your local gov't and put one next door so you can walk over and help out in your community. Not five blocks away, right next door.
You missed my point entirely.

I made the point that public sector workers, those who rely 100% on taxpayer receipts, are often the ones who express the most right-wing reactionary views toward anyone else who needs help. They rake in high pay and Cadillac benefits that follow them to the grave, causing taxpayers widespread fiscal distress. Yet they diss people in their community who may need a bit of assistance to make ends meet.

The person I quoted seems to be one of them, and I've seen this over and over.

My next door neighbors wouldn't like it if I petitioned the town to turn their home into a soup kitchen.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:05 AM

"I made the point that public sector workers, those who rely 100% on taxpayer receipts, are often the ones who express the most right-wing reactionary views toward anyone else who needs help"

How do you know that?

I just did a quick search and came up with this.

Democrats Lead Ranks of Both Union and State Workers

Old 02-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
"I made the point that public sector workers, those who rely 100% on taxpayer receipts, are often the ones who express the most right-wing reactionary views toward anyone else who needs help"

How do you know that?

I just did a quick search and came up with this.

Democrats Lead Ranks of Both Union and State Workers
This is LI where the majority of public sector hacks are Republican. It's not just them; the bias cuts straight across both parties. I've seen these right wing views from public sector workers are pretty consistent.

I'm wondering now, are you one of them?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:27 AM

"I'm wondering now, are you one of them?"

The usual liberal tactic, deflect the facts because I can't back up my made up lies.

all I did was a simple search. I guess I could do the same and research how many Long Island public sector hacks are republican. I'm curious what the numbers are. Maybe you can research it and let us all know.

Now what exactly are you asking of me? am I a union worker? a hack republican? a public worker? all of the above?

If I answer will it change the facts? or just help you cope with your made up lies?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
"I'm wondering now, are you one of them?"

The usual liberal tactic, deflect the facts because I can't back up my made up lies.

all I did was a simple search. I guess I could do the same and research how many Long Island public sector hacks are republican. I'm curious what the numbers are. Maybe you can research it and let us all know.

Now what exactly are you asking of me? am I a union worker? a hack republican? a public worker? all of the above?

If I answer will it change the facts? or just help you cope with your made up lies?
You doth protest too much. Your unnecessarily confrontational and defensive style tells me you are a connected public sector worker dependent on the taxpayers for a high income.

No matter. I'm leaving LI and you can all keep this patronage pit for yourselves. Over and out.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM

483 posts, read 670,078 times
Quote:
It's a two way street. I know very liberal left wingers (close friends and family) who spout their liberalism while living in posh communities and would fight tooth and nail to keep a "soup kitchen" out of their neighborhood

It's unfortunate that you know some unpleasant people but a food pantry exists near my house and yet I haven't seen any spikes in crime or undesirable effects in any way. I was under the impression that most churches offer this service maybe I am wrong.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:39 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
It's unfortunate that you know some unpleasant people but a food pantry exists near my house and yet I haven't seen any spikes in crime or undesirable effects in any way. I was under the impression that most churches offer this service maybe I am wrong.

Many (if not most) Long Islanders (suburbanites in general, really) LOVE to live in their imaginary bubble, thinking they are "rich" and "wonderful" and they don't want to see anything that will destroy that fantasy.

They don't want to know that there are many people in their communities who work for a living but still need some kind of help to make ends meet and rely on food pantries to feed themselves and their children.

They want to believe that anyone who needs help is a "druggie" or a "criminal" or that they are homeless.

They want to live with their heads in the sand, refusing to live in the real world. It's very sad, really, that these people think this way and actually believe their own delusions.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Delusions, slamusions. I'm perfectly aware of these problems, I just don't care. Let them eat stale hot dog buns thrown at them by scolding schoolmarms.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I oppose the soup kitchen in Babylon

NOW, i'm all for the homeless getting fed and helped; but

1. The church is on a small side street with little traffic; so if this soup kitchen is established here then the impoverished individuals/beggers would be the primary foot traffic in this area and it would look like Skid Row quick.

2. Most homeless people are unsanitary and many (not all) have extensive histories of drug/alcohol use, criminal records or are sex offenders. And most of these people just loiter around all day...it's really not attractive, safe or desirable. How would you like something like that in YOUR community?

3. A soup kitchen and similar resources would be far more effective and better reach those in need if it were in a struggling area with a higher concentration of poverty (like Wyandanch, Brentwood, Copiague, North Amityville, Central Islip, etc)

At first glance, this situation makes it seems like the people of Babylon are evil rich snobs who want the poor innocent homeless to starve to death; but they just maintain high standards for their community.
This post, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem facing Long Island today. NIMBYism at its finest. Where do you come up with your facts regarding what a homeless person looks like? Or the fact that there aren't already hungry or homeless people in Babylon? There are homeless shelters in Babylon, or did you not know that? Why don't you go volunteer at a homeless shelter to see what a true homeless person on Long Island looks like before you make rash judgements that they're all unsanitary and sex offenders! Get a clue before you post things like this.

And what about people in Babylon that are hungry, or house poor? What about single mothers that could use a little extra food to get by for their families? Or are they supposed to go to the less savory areas of Long Island because they're not like you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island