Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 05:40 PM

20 posts, read 24,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They moderate the offers to ensure that nothing inappropriate is posted. Some of the FC mods will temporarily moderate a new member, while others will moderate everyone.

A friend used to moderate a LI group. She works full time and had nothing to gain by being an UNPAID moderator. She was donating her time and yet some folks broke her chops constantly about what is or isn't fair. Others abused the group. Some were downright nasty in their private messages.

Would you want a bunch of anonymous people (some of whom are certifiable loons) to know who you are?
True but then if you don't want to be held accountable you shouldn't be moderating. Mostly I think they're people who believe in the freecycle lifestyle but some are scammers and other groups have closed down because of it. Ehat they get out of it is - good stuff. Someone posts something fairly hard to get or valuable or antique or whatever and if they are moderating all the posts - they see the post before the rest of the members do. They can respond immediately and grab the item before anyone else has a chance. I remember reading about some group where this was happening - several of them were re-selling items or something like that and it took awhile before people caught them. Not saying this is the norm but when you come across a really "strict" group - you do have to question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJo View Post
True but then if you don't want to be held accountable you shouldn't be moderating. Mostly I think they're people who believe in the freecycle lifestyle but some are scammers and other groups have closed down because of it. Ehat they get out of it is - good stuff. Someone posts something fairly hard to get or valuable or antique or whatever and if they are moderating all the posts - they see the post before the rest of the members do. They can respond immediately and grab the item before anyone else has a chance. I remember reading about some group where this was happening - several of them were re-selling items or something like that and it took awhile before people caught them. Not saying this is the norm but when you come across a really "strict" group - you do have to question.
None of the mods I know are like this. The putzs I dealt with when offering good stuff where a completely different story and why I no longer offer things up on FC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island