Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Actually, that proves my point exactly. It lists a very small number of high paying jobs, even fewer of which pay enough to live in the city. Most of the jobs listed are low paying. And my field, civil engineering, is not listed at all, anywhere in the report. So how is NYC a hotbed of employment?
That's the field you chose. There are four things you can do about it:

1)Change careers.
2) Move away to where your field is better.
3) Upgrade your value.
4) Whine for the next forty years.

You might also explain why, with so much building going on in the city, including projects like the LaGuardia redevelopment and the West Side Yards and the World Trade Center, you seem incapable of finding a decent job. Those three jobs alone will keep people employed for decades. The report shows construction workers as one of the biggest fields - do they do all that work without civil engineers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:54 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Actually, that proves my point exactly. It lists a very small number of high paying jobs, even fewer of which pay enough to live in the city. Most of the jobs listed are low paying. And my field, civil engineering, is not listed at all, anywhere in the report. So how is NYC a hotbed of employment?
http://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/lswage2.asp Its on line 17-2051 (under "Civil Engineers" if you can believe it). There are approximately 6,000 of them in the NY Metro area and their mean salary is a hair shy of 6 figures. So, basically, its the opposite of what you are saying then...

Old 09-09-2015, 01:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Pittsburgh is just one of hundreds of small and medium sized cities in the interior that people in coastal cities like to dismiss as part of “Flyover Country”. What isn’t clearly understood is that Pittsburgh isn’t competing with New York or San Francisco. Instead Pittsburgh is competing with the distant suburbs of places like New York and San Francisco out in the endless smear of anonymous tract homes and strip malls that ring those cities. Pittsburgh wins that taste test hands down every time for anyone who shows up and actually looks around and experiences what’s on offer.

Family Friendly Cities | Newgeography.com

Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
What is your basis for claiming that the "demand for high paying jobs in NYC is greater than the supply"? That less-than-qualified people want more high paying jobs? Preposterous. That could be said for any city.
But nobody is claiming that other cities are a "hotbed of employment". If NYC was such a hotbed of employment, then there wouldn't be so many unemployed and/or underpaid people.

Quote:
According to Forbes Magazine, New York Metro area is the 7th best city in the US for employment. The Best Cities For Jobs 2014 But I know you won't let that get in the way of your subjective opinion
But that doesn't take into account the cost of living.

Quote:
There are a tremendous number of professions in NYC where the mean and median wages are well above $100,000. The numbers are laid out in black and white here: Occupational Wages - New York State Department of Labor .
But $100,000 is not enough to live in a good area of NYC, since the cost of living is so high.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
That's the field you chose. There are four things you can do about it:

1)Change careers.
2) Move away to where your field is better.
3) Upgrade your value.
4) Whine for the next forty years.

You might also explain why, with so much building going on in the city, including projects like the LaGuardia redevelopment and the West Side Yards and the World Trade Center, you seem incapable of finding a decent job. Those three jobs alone will keep people employed for decades. The report shows construction workers as one of the biggest fields - do they do all that work without civil engineers?
All of my work experience is in traffic engineering. Not in structural engineering, so the construction that you mention doesn't help me. And besides, those jobs don't pay enough to live in or near NYC anyway.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Occupational Wages - New York State Department of Labor Its on line 17-2051 (under "Civil Engineers" if you can believe it). There are approximately 6,000 of them in the NY Metro area and their mean salary is a hair shy of 6 figures. So, basically, its the opposite of what you are saying then...
I already make more than both the mean and the median salary that it lists. Even the "experienced" salary is not enough to live in NYC. Since I am making more than both the mean and the median by working on Long Island, why should I take a job in the city where I would have a worse quality of life for apparently no extra pay? And, it sounds like I am right that, at least in my field, I would not make any extra money by taking a job in the city. So why shouldn't I just keep my job on Long Island? Certain posters keep telling me I need to take a job in the city, but you've just proven that there would be no point in doing so.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:43 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
/\

So what will you do, based on the chart you are at your maximum earning potential in your current field? You continue to post your dissatisfaction with your employment/income opportunities all why wishing that your dream career existed where you live. So whats next?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

So what will you do, based on the chart you are at your maximum earning potential in your current field? You continue to post your dissatisfaction with your employment/income opportunities all why wishing that your dream career existed where you live. So whats next?
There isn't much that I can do, other than accept that I chose a bad major, and that my wife chose an even worse major. I have to hope I don't get laid off from my current job, and do whatever I can to live within my means.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
But $100,000 is not enough to live in a good area of NYC, since the cost of living is so high.
It's a good thing families usually include 2 capable adults and not just 1.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's a good thing families usually include 2 capable adults and not just 1.
If NYC was truly a hotbed of employment, then my wife would have been able to find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island