Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
hah so true. Well at least a soccer ball.

Anyway sports is a great way to keep life-long friends and be popular (aka accepted) in school. It's essentially the anti-bullying method. Then you just work on keeping them in check.
The problem in GC is kids who aren't truly athletic give up at a pretty early age. We had kids who dropped off in second grade because they "aren't athletes" which I think is sad. I mean they weren't athletic and weren't going to make school teams but at that age it should be played for fun, exercise and friendships. That said, my kids played lacrosse in 6th grade here and second graders in GC (and probably much of LI) are more skilled
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:55 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problem in GC is kids who aren't truly athletic give up at a pretty early age. We had kids who dropped off in second grade because they "aren't athletes" which I think is sad. I mean they weren't athletic and weren't going to make school teams but at that age it should be played for fun, exercise and friendships. That said, my kids played lacrosse in 6th grade here and second graders in GC (and probably much of LI) are more skilled
I think thats a good thing. Its good to learn competition at an early age, even if it leads to failure, will build character.

I hate how most places now have the "every kid gets to be on the team and gets a medal" attitude. You are setting your kid up for failure. Real world does not operate like that, which is why I guess the current generation of millenials are whiny non-go getters.

Does GC sports still have the old school spartan attitude, or have they wussed out also?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I think thats a good thing. Its good to learn competition at an early age, even if it leads to failure, will build character.

I hate how most places now have the "every kid gets to be on the team and gets a medal" attitude. You are setting your kid up for failure. Real world does not operate like that, which is why I guess the current generation of millenials are whiny non-go getters.

Does GC sports still have the old school spartan attitude, or have they wussed out also?
That's not really the issue I am addressing. The fact that a child doesn't feel like they can or should play sports (or more likely their parents feel that way) at such an early age is just sad. It's got nothing to do with whether they get a medal or not.

And yes, of course every kid gets a medal. I cannot even tell you how hard my DH, who has coached every sport my kids have played, has tried to turn the tide, to no avail. It NEVER fails that one parent "volunteers" to provide the trophies when my DH doesn't offer up the token. Ugh. One of my friends came up with a good solution, and got t-shirts for all the kids and they all signed them at the end of the season. A much better and meaningful token of the season IMHO. My daughter's volleyball team gave out game balls to the player of the game after each game and all the girls signed it. She liked that better than the trophy when she got hers.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:43 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Honestly Sports is more important than books anyhow. Who the heck when you are shooting the breeze in a bar post graduation talks about when you got a 100 on a math test when you were 16, winning touchdown yes

Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM

202 posts, read 265,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post

Competition is unnecessary in most of the real world. If you work hard and give your best at what you do you'll succeed, there's no need to compete against anyone else. People need to focus on themselves rather than worry about what others are doing.

In the real world, things get done when you give it you all and work as a team, not when you're trying to outdo others.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
Competition is unnecessary in most of the real world. If you work hard and give your best at what you do you'll succeed, there's no need to compete against anyone else. People need to focus on themselves rather than worry about what others are doing.

In the real world, things get done when you give it you all and work as a team, not when you're trying to outdo others.
Thats all fine and dandy if you want your kid getting a dead end office cubicle job.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
They have a large Jewish population, does that not count as diversity?

Old 02-19-2015, 10:06 AM
QYu QYu started this thread

2 posts, read 5,401 times
Thank you all for the comments, they are very insightful, and we will definitely take them into consideration. Thanks again!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have a large Jewish population, does that not count as diversity?

Are you talking about Garden City NY?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:21 AM

159 posts, read 193,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QYu View Post
My wife and I are looking to move from Queens to Long Island, and Garden City is one of our prime choices given it's great schools and relatively good commute into the city. After doing some research on the demographics of the village, it obviously doesn't have the level of diversity that we are used to. As a young Asian couple with a 2 year old toddler, should we be concerned about moving into the village and not be welcomed by the community? I realize this is not a typical topic posted for discussion, but any honest feedback is greatly appreciated.
GC is known as an "old money" neighborhood and the people that live there are not as open minded as you are being led to believe. You will be fine, but that's because most minorities know how to "be fine" despite the circumstances. Your children will have to battle with a bunch of highly emotional, materialistically dependent kids with well kept drug habit secrets. The adults are for the most part not the original money makers and almost all of them have mortgage free hand me down homes and blew the family fortunes. Looking to make college a viable forum for their schools they have leaned on sports as the new "mind" and are very focused on keeping it that way. They have a couple of country clubs not sure if there are any non white members. Those homes now have multiple people living in them with so-so incomes to afford the area. They fight to include commercial entities in their boundaries as their new population can't afford to be there. GC is not what it used to be it's an option for you NOW because the town is income numb and the redlines had to be erased. It's a nice area and NOW you can buy a home there but the mentality hasn't changed a bit and if they didn't need to sell you a home there they wouldn't. There are places that lack diversity because minorities couldn't afford to live there and GC is not one of them. Hempstead is right next door and has homes with similar price tags and property taxes yet those home owners didn't "choose" to buy in GC? I personally think you can do much better with your investment and with a school for your kids. The North Shore has a decent Asian population with forums that aren't highly sports dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island