Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have a large Jewish population, does that not count as diversity?
Don't be fooled... the large Jewish Center on Nassau Blvd is nothing more than a facade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM

202 posts, read 265,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Thats all fine and dandy if you want your kid getting a dead end office cubicle job.
I never was a competitive person and I'm a physical therapist now (mind you PT school is as hard to get into as medical school), so I thin I turned out well. For me it was hard work and good character that got me to where I want to be, not competition with others.

I don't see the reason to make fun of a cubicle job either, just because someone works at a desk doesn't mean their job is important.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:49 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
Just thinking out loud. White Catholic College Educated Wall St Type Upper Income folks pay a 450K prem and an extra 8K a year to live in a town with each other.

Rich Orthodox Jews pay a big prem to live next to each other in Lawrence and good parts of five towns

Wealthy Hip people pay a huge mark up to live next to each other in trendy Brooklyn

Wealthy Celebs who like the Beach pay a big mark up for Hamptons so they can mingle with other wealthy celebs.

Why would an the OP even want to live in GC. If you are keeping to your self and dont really care about Sports or the stupid Welcome Committee where the bored white stay at home wives sip wine and think they arrive and Wall Street types and Big Four Audit Partners buy BMWs and play golf why live there.

Honestly it is in center of Island, no near beach or Northshore, not near nothing but an ugly mall. Other than snotty folks wanting to live near snotty folk only a fool would pay and extra few hundred grand to live there.

Move elsewhere invest money, dont waste it on 24K taxes on a 1.5 imillion dollar house where same house up the road is half price and half the tax

Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM

402 posts, read 518,597 times
I think you will be fine... My family moved to Long Island in 1993 and I was one of three Hispanics in my Middle School. It didn't bother me as i was very welcomed by my peers in the academic clubs and sports teams. My neighbors were never particularly friendly to us and i did have one friend tell me that her father didn't want her hanging out with me since I was Puerto Rican ( they were Italian). My family always stressed the importance of education (my mom is a retired principal) so i always made sure to do well in that category. For high school, i went to a private school where all of my friends had big bucks. Think huge homes, country clubs, second homes etc. Again, i was never bothered by being the only minority in our group. In fact, i embraced all of the new experiences they were openly offering me. Now being in my 30s, i too belong to their country club, attend joint vacations, attend the same events, have my child in private school etc. On that note, I think being a minority in an all Caucasian town is fine based on my past experiences. Sure, you will have some people who will be racist but that is something that can be experienced in all aspects of our lives- workplaces, in-law family, shopping centers etc

Last edited by thgreatalex; 02-20-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmverbs View Post
GC is known as an "old money" neighborhood and the people that live there are not as open minded as you are being led to believe. You will be fine, but that's because most minorities know how to "be fine" despite the circumstances. Your children will have to battle with a bunch of highly emotional, materialistically dependent kids with well kept drug habit secrets. The adults are for the most part not the original money makers and almost all of them have mortgage free hand me down homes and blew the family fortunes. Looking to make college a viable forum for their schools they have leaned on sports as the new "mind" and are very focused on keeping it that way. They have a couple of country clubs not sure if there are any non white members. Those homes now have multiple people living in them with so-so incomes to afford the area. They fight to include commercial entities in their boundaries as their new population can't afford to be there. GC is not what it used to be it's an option for you NOW because the town is income numb and the redlines had to be erased. It's a nice area and NOW you can buy a home there but the mentality hasn't changed a bit and if they didn't need to sell you a home there they wouldn't. There are places that lack diversity because minorities couldn't afford to live there and GC is not one of them. Hempstead is right next door and has homes with similar price tags and property taxes yet those home owners didn't "choose" to buy in GC? I personally think you can do much better with your investment and with a school for your kids. The North Shore has a decent Asian population with forums that aren't highly sports dependent.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
I grew up in GC and I wouldn't have wanted to be anything but white in that town. We had one black kid and he only got a pass on racism because he was over-the-top gay. The Asian kids were generally looked down upon as nerds and had little social involvement in the school. Hell, it was tough being WHITE in that district unless you were part of the athletic crowd.

As someone mentioned before, why force your kid into a environment where he or she is going to be part of a very small minority? Being a kid is tough enough without having to deal with things you can't even control. If it's good schools you're after, there are quite a few towns on the North Shore with as-good or better schools and a much larger Asian population.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:22 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I grew up in GC and I wouldn't have wanted to be anything but white in that town. We had one black kid and he only got a pass on racism because he was over-the-top gay. The Asian kids were generally looked down upon as nerds and had little social involvement in the school. Hell, it was tough being WHITE in that district unless you were part of the athletic crowd.

As someone mentioned before, why force your kid into a environment where he or she is going to be part of a very small minority? Being a kid is tough enough without having to deal with things you can't even control. If it's good schools you're after, there are quite a few towns on the North Shore with as-good or better schools and a much larger Asian population.
Your probably right, but those asian nerds probably have some nice high paying professional career now. The meat head athlete's social life probably peaked in HS, and now is a Best Buy's associate.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Why would an the OP even want to live in GC. If you are keeping to your self and dont really care about Sports or the stupid Welcome Committee where the bored white stay at home wives sip wine and think they arrive and Wall Street types and Big Four Audit Partners buy BMWs and play golf why live there.
Perhaps more Asians are buying? After all GC is not the place ideal to live until one dies and who else has the youth and money to pour into the NYC suburbs than newly prosperous Asians?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Your probably right, but those asian nerds probably have some nice high paying professional career now. The meat head athlete's social life probably peaked in HS, and now is a Best Buy's associate.
Garden City ain't West Texas. Those meatheads are now working on Wall Street because their daddies got them cushy, high paying jobs. Never underestimate the power of a privileged upbringing.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Garden City ain't West Texas. Those meatheads are now working on Wall Street because their daddies got them cushy, high paying jobs. Never underestimate the power of a privileged upbringing.
Exactly, if you think all those GC wealthy family's athlete kids are toiling away at best buy you are living in a fantasy land. Many of them are probably masking as much if not more that the hard working asian kid for doing a fraction of the work because a high paying career is handed to them from mommy and daddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island