Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
3Ver here. According to the NYS Report cards during school year 2013-14 there were 14% minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, biracial) in the TVCSD and 7% economically disadvantaged. A few of the elementary schools have food pantries for this reason.

With the university in our midst, we see students from around the world moving in and out as their parent's careers require. Does this skew the results? I can't say for certain, but in terms of diversity, we do have more international students. This has to count for something; after all, black and white kids from Long Island have far more in common than their contemporaries from all across the globe.

I'm a fair-skinned Hispanic with a European married name. There have been several instances where I have had to correct teachers as to what my children are/aren't. This has been ongoing since K enrollment.

I believe the minority (specifically Hispanic) count would be higher than 4% if Hispanic children were enumerated using their ancestry as opposed to how Hispanic they look or whether they have an Hispanic last name.

Refering back to the NYS report cards:

LOL Of course depending on one's definition of 'diverse' the 86% white Three Village School District can be considered "diverse". I agree.

I have heard that "Hispanic" is generally an ethnicity while Hispanics are considered white by race. So a fair skinned Hispanic is white by race (as is a darker skinned Hispanic BTW).

The 'diversity' game can be very funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,529 times
if you want diversity come to hicksville.

to give you an idea roughly its 65% Indian and Hispanic in the Hicksville high school combined and 5% Chinese give or take.

As overall white is the majority for all ages but as teenagers its mostly minorities.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wyandanch is actually pretty diverse..and keep in mind that this doesn't even include the undocumented population:

You're right about Wantagh... extremely homogenous along with the rest of Southeast Nassau (except for E.Mass in Amity SD):
Source? And why would it not include undocumented?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:15 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Wyandanch 61% Black 37% Hispanic and according to one poster two ethnic groups in one district does not make them 'diverse' at all (essentially 0 Asians and 0 Whites). Gotta love that 'diverse' term.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM

519 posts, read 597,641 times
Quote:
3Ver here. According to the NYS Report cards during school year 2013-14 there were 14% minorities (Black, Hispanic, Asian, biracial) in the TVCSD and 7% economically disadvantaged. A few of the elementary schools have food pantries for this reason.

With the university in our midst, we see students from around the world moving in and out as their parent's careers require. Does this skew the results? I can't say for certain, but in terms of diversity, we do have more international students. This has to count for something; after all, black and white kids from Long Island have far more in common than their contemporaries from all across the globe.

I'm a fair-skinned Hispanic with a European married name. There have been several instances where I have had to correct teachers as to what my children are/aren't. This has been ongoing since K enrollment.

I believe the minority (specifically Hispanic) count would be higher than 4% if Hispanic children were enumerated using their ancestry as opposed to how Hispanic they look or whether they have an Hispanic last name.

Refering back to the NYS report cards:
The original registration forms are filled out by the parents. A teacher can't change this as far as I know.

e.g.- http://web.northport.k12.ny.us/files...ent%20form.pdf

Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire123 View Post
if you want diversity come to hicksville.

to give you an idea roughly its 65% Indian and Hispanic in the Hicksville high school combined and 5% Chinese give or take.

As overall white is the majority for all ages but as teenagers its mostly minorities.
Hicksville was a dump long before the indians got there

Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Jewish folk will sell to anyone hence what ruined the Bronx in the early 1970s
Many of the 'Jewish folk' you are refering to rented apartments on the Grand Concourse. A lot of families left their Grand Concourse rentals for Co-Op city when it opened in 1968. When their rentals freed up, more minorities who were less affluent came in, and along with them, brought some social ills. We moved out of the Bronx in December 1969 and by that time, it was already well on its way to ruin. I can recall seeing garbage dumped from windows (who wants to walk down to the garbage area?) and walking with mom while she pushed my sister's stroller around drunks and druggies.

It's truly a shame what happened.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
The original registration forms are filled out by the parents. A teacher can't change this as far as I know.

e.g.- http://web.northport.k12.ny.us/files...ent%20form.pdf
I filled out the original registration forms, yet for reasons beyond my control, have had to deal with someone in an office changing their forms to 'white'. I have to give the caveat that my children are older -- the youngest being in 10th grade -- and at the time, there was no choice of White Hispanic. You were white or you were Hispanic. I checked Hispanic. Once the paperwork left my hands, someone switched it.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
LOL Of course depending on one's definition of 'diverse' the 86% white Three Village School District can be considered "diverse". I agree.

I have heard that "Hispanic" is generally an ethnicity while Hispanics are considered white by race. So a fair skinned Hispanic is white by race (as is a darker skinned Hispanic BTW).

The 'diversity' game can be very funny.
Would you (or anyone, please) happen to know where I could find what the average percentage of 'white' is for LI school districts?

That Hispanics are racially white seems to be something which is becoming an historical relic especially given the fact that there are many Latin American countries where the indigenous people as well as ancestors of former slaves have intermarried for centuries creating a rainbow of Hispanic people.

Perhaps ethnicity shouldn't be broken out -- especially as there are so many more Latin Americans in the US.

I agree, the 'diversity' game can be very funny.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Would you (or anyone, please) happen to know where I could find what the average percentage of 'white' is for LI school districts?

That Hispanics are racially white seems to be something which is becoming an historical relic
especially given the fact that there are many Latin American countries where the indigenous people as well as ancestors of former slaves have intermarried for centuries creating a rainbow of Hispanic people.

Perhaps ethnicity shouldn't be broken out -- especially as there are so many more Latin Americans in the US.

I agree, the 'diversity' game can be very funny.
I don't think that was ever really true in the first place and people who thought that back then were mistaken. The New World countries dominated by Spain and Portugal back in the days of exploration produced mostly people who were part Spaniard (or Portuguese) and part Native Indian (whose ancient background according to DNA is mostly Asian). Then black slaves were imported and more mixing occurred in many areas. So historically New World Hispanics are bi-racial or tri-racial for the most part if you go way back, yet many have more genes from one gene pool or the other and it shows in their appearance. For instance, I have met people from Peru who strongly resemble Indios and I have met people from Peru who strongly resemble Spaniards.

As for the reason Hispanics are categorized as either white or black on US censuses, etc., I think it is the "One Drop Rule" that has dominated US culture since way back. It goes if a person has one drop of black blood, that means they are categorized as black (no matter how they look).

As for the diversity game, yes, it is weird how people look at it ... that if there are "a lot" of minorities it is diverse, even if the minorities are actually the majority (so it's really not diverse).

I think the term diverse should be reserved for communities that have more or less an equal balances of different races/ethnicities in their total makeup. On LI, there are not many communities like that.

This is diverse for LI standards, but still not "textbook" diverse:

from City-Data

White alone - 15,503 (41.1%)
Hispanic - 10,209 (27.1%)
Black alone - 6,233 (16.5%)
Asian alone - 5,231 (13.9%)
Two or more races - 811 (2.2%)
Other race alone - 287 (0.8%)
American Indian alone - 12 (0.03%)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island